So who's leaving their Titan for the Lumia 900?

Fleon

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm also jumping ship for the 900. The wifi/3G data bug on the Titan is infuriating. I'm really tired of having to toggle wifi on and off to get data working again.

If HTC would bother supporting their WP phones, I'd probably stick around with it- in fact, I'd probably be getting a Titan II if that were the case.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
After thinking about it for a while I'll probably stick with my Titan. One of the biggest reasons I wanted a Nokia is because of the camera quality and Nokia specific apps (particular Nokia Maps). However, the camera on the 900 is good but struggles in low light situations, plus I purchased Navigon and that fills all my GPS needs. Nokia dedication to their devices were another big factor. As evident with the 800, Nokia will quickly release updates to make the device better.

However, because AT&T lumps firmware updates with major OS updates I won't get any updates for the 900 at any rate faster than I will updates for my Titan. Furthermore, up until Nokia, HTC has been the premier handset maker for Windows Phone. They have the most phones and the most "unique" designs. They also released the first Windows Phone in China, the HTC Eternity. HTC can't match Nokia's ecosystem but they're a lot more willing to compete than the other vendors (yes I'm looking at you, Samsung).

While updates have been slim, HTC still released several updates since the Titan launched.

http://www.windowscentral.com/htc-hub-gets-updated-and-looks-lot-better
http://www.windowscentral.com/htc-titan-also-receiving-software-update
http://www.windowscentral.com/international-htc-titan-getting-new-software-update
HTC Titan getting a firmware update. Update: HTC Radar updated too | WMPoweruser
HTC Locations update for Windows Phone brings offline navigation - Engadget

The Titan isn't perfect, but none of the current devices are. Truthfully speaking, no phone is really perfect. That said, I don't think HTC's commitment to Windows Phone has wafered. Hopefully some ROM updates get rolled into Tango that will make the Titan better, but right now it's a great phone with some nagging issues. Only time will tell how far HTC expands their ecosystem, but I don't think I'm going to jump ship until I see it totally sink.

jd914

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Best move I ever made. I'm not looking back. The Lumia 900 simply makes the Titan look dated in the looks and performance dept. The LTE is amazing and the build quality is leaps and bounds ove the the Titan 1 and 2. It's simply a beautiful device and a pleasure to hold. If anyone is on the fence weather to go to the Lumia 900, just do it and you wont regret it.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Tbh, I'm really enjoying my Titan. I see no point going Nokia. Music? I use Zune. Navigation? I don't drive so Bing Maps is adequate for my needs. Camera? Happy with what my TITAN provides. Design? My dad has the 800, the design doesn't appeal to me enough. All in all, I see no reason to trade in the TITAN for the 900. When I've passed my test and got a car, then I will trade in my HTC for Nokia. Although my next phone, in 2 years time, may be Nokia.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Tbh, I'm really enjoying my Titan. I see no point going Nokia. Music? I use Zune. Navigation? I don't drive so Bing Maps is adequate for my needs. Camera? Happy with what my TITAN provides. Design? My dad has the 800, the design doesn't appeal to me enough. All in all, I see no reason to trade in the TITAN for the 900. When I've passed my test and got a car, then I will trade in my HTC for Nokia. Although my next phone, in 2 years time, may be Nokia.

Haha by then, possibly all Windows Phones will have built-in turn by turn navigation.

SolunaKitty

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site

You can add Nokia Drive 2.0 to your phone for offline navigation if you want (though an XAP), but your device has to be dev-unlocked. I prefer it over using maps since it does not use up data.

syang87

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I just bought one on eBay. I'll hold it until the end of March 2013 (that's when I'll be able to upgrade)and I hope by then Nokia will have the Pureview available or something running 'Apollo'

SolunaKitty

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I just bought one on eBay. I'll hold it until the end of March 2013 (that's when I'll be able to upgrade)and I hope by then Nokia will have the Pureview available or something running 'Apollo'

Nokia will have something running on Apollo by then for sure. The question is how high-end will they make it? Will it be 1200 x 720, dual-core, have an NFC chip, support microSIM storage, have PureView, AND still be affordable. It certainly wont be at the $100 price if/when it happens =x

nick6c

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
I like HTC Titan , an awesome screen. However, i like the design of Lumia 900. Hehe... no $ so i can't buy anymore :p;)

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I was going to leave my Titan and go for a Lumia 900 but I'm not convinced the jump is all that large; the handset is basically the same size despite being .4in smaller, the storage is the same and the camera has got average reviews. The one thing that sways me more is that Nokia look after their phones better, there are so many things that need to be sorted on the Titan (small things but mostly software related).

robbg

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Pretty damn pleased with my Titan, and as such, can't find a compelling reason to jump ship at the moment. I dig the design and LTE capability of the Lumia, though. But I believe this phone will get me by just fine until the the Apollo lineup is announced...then all bets are off :)

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I was pretty dead set on keeping my Titan but in the past two days I've had four random resets. That's a good sign this phone is on its way out. I have insurance but then I have to pay a deductible. The current problems I can tell with but the added resets is almost like a sign that I should get a Lumia.

HTC has been very supportive of WP so far but they're being too quiet on their plans for the Titan. Will Tango bring a new firmware? What will the firmware fix? Plus, I'm starting to question their commitment since seeing this. Slight chipping and One S owners get a free phone. Unusable Titan and we get nothing.

Now the phone appears to be EOL. It doesn't seem like AT&T will sell anymore Titan I's after they run out of stock and many places in Europe are having trouble finding the Titan. Nor can I post on the HTC support forums, which means either I got banned or they locked the forum down to keep us quiet.

So many things happening at once is making me uneasy about keeping my Titan. Between the current problems, the added problem of random resets, unknown firmware upgrades, EOL, and worst treatment than their Android customers I'm starting to think investing in a white Lumia might be a much better idea. The 900 has its own set of problems but at least we know that Nokia is committed to fixing it. HTC seems more concerned with grabbing the cash and running.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo