Soft reset question

Kerry2112

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
In my short time with Windows phones (2 months), I have seen many references to "soft reset," accomplished by simultaneously pressing and holding power and volume down buttons until phone vibrates and restarts. Before I saw these references, when I had my first freeze on my old L1320 on W10M, I just held the power button and, after a while, the phone vibrated and restarted.

My question: is there any functional difference between invoking a restart by power+down volume, versus just holding the power button? If not, why add the second key? BTW, the method of just using the power button works on my 950XL as well, invoking a vibration + restart if you hold it for like 8-10 seconds.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
In my short time with Windows phones (2 months), I have seen many references to "soft reset," accomplished by simultaneously pressing and holding power and volume down buttons until phone vibrates and restarts. Before I saw these references, when I had my first freeze on my old L1320 on W10M, I just held the power button and, after a while, the phone vibrated and restarted.

My question: is there any functional difference between invoking a restart by power+down volume, versus just holding the power button? If not, why add the second key? BTW, the method of just using the power button works on my 950XL as well, invoking a vibration + restart if you hold it for like 8-10 seconds.

The only official MS mobile soft reset is vol down + power till screen switch off, then when releasing keys you fell a vibro and phone restarts.
If screen isn't available, just counting 15 secs, release keys and phone will vibrate and reboots.
That's equivalent to CTRL ALT CANC in old Windows desktops when a BSOD appeared (brrrrrr!!!!).

So, considering holdin power works only on some 950 and not Microsoft OEMs, result are random.

Kerry2112

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
The only official MS mobile soft reset is vol down + power till screen switch off, then when releasing keys you fell a vibro and phone restarts.
If screen isn't available, just counting 15 secs, release keys and phone will vibrate and reboots.
That's equivalent to CTRL ALT CANC in old Windows desktops when a BSOD appeared (brrrrrr!!!!).

So, considering holdin power works only on some 950 and not Microsoft OEMs, result are random.

But can I assume that, if holding the power button alone leads to a vibration and restart, I have accomplished a "soft reset"?

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
But can I assume that, if holding the power button alone leads to a vibration and restart, I have accomplished a "soft reset"?

You can't, considering that leads to unpredictable results, according to past forum posts.
IMHO that's sounds like a phone restarting after a fall on a floor.
Soft reset was intentionally included in firmware, holdin power reset not

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon