Sony's 'PS5 Pro' beats Xbox to the AI graphics punch with its 'PlayStation Spectral Super Resolution (PSSR)' feature — but it's $699.99

Windows Central

WinC Bot
Staff member
Dec 17, 2013
Visit site

fatpunkslim

Feb 3, 2024
Visit site
Microsoft is once again on the back foot with gaming consoles, as its "world's most powerful console" is no longer the world's most powerful. Sony's PS5 Pro has the Xbox Series X beaten on paper, complete with AI upscaling tech for boosted performance. But oh boy, it ain't cheap.

Sony's 'PS5 Pro' beats Xbox to the AI graphics punch with its 'PlayStation Spectral Super Resolution (PSSR)' feature — but it's $699.99 : Read more
I find you very optimistic about the PS5 pro. I personally think it's going to be a big flop for several reasons!

Very few developers will bother using proprietary technologies like PSSR or developing specifically for the PS5 Pro. We can clearly see the state of the video game industry currently. The constraints of development time, budget and resources have never been greater, I have difficulty seeing how developers are going to waste time on a console that will sell very little.

Don't forget that if the game is not designed for this mid gen console, there will be no or marginal profit. The framerate or resolution boost is not automatic.

The other reason is the price of course. I think Sony is doing really badly for daring to offer this kind of price, like having increased the price of current accessories. They are really testing the limits of acceptability of their hardware.

Even for casual gamers who don't know much about video games, they are unlikely to be convinced.

The other reason is the games, this PlayStation generation is probably the poorest in terms of first party games and even third party exclusives. I don't really see what would push you to buy this mid gen console.

All mid gen have never sold much but this one risks being even worse with a particular context which I have drawn a few lines above: purchasing power at half mast, gaming industry forced to reduce their budget, etc...

From what I see, Playstation increasingly has a negative image regarding the prices of their games, the price of their updates, the price of their DLC, the price of their accessories and the price of their consoles . And at the same time, they offer very little in terms of games, which hardly justifies such an investment. They also carry a negative image at the marketing level, people are less and less fooled by their marketing methods.

Xbox does not need to follow PlayStation in this area, the Xbox Series is sufficient for this gen ! Most games don't use all xbox series power.

I prefer that Xbox focuses on games and not so much on hardware like Sony does which has released more new hardware than games. (ps vr 2 > flop / ps portal > semi flop / ps5 slim / buds / etc..)

I guess Xbox releasing the new generation of consoles a year early, which would also explain why they didn't want to release mid gen

ShavedMonkey

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
The interesting thing here for Xbox is the ability to scale up and switch on similar enhancements in the Cloud with no need for a console upgrade. The future of gaming.

Jun 24, 2023
Visit site
The interesting thing here for Xbox is the ability to scale up and switch on similar enhancements in the Cloud with no need for a console upgrade. The future of gaming.
That's only if Microsoft switches from using Xbox hardware to run cloud gaming to PC hardware, but currently a big pull for Xbox Cloud Gaming is how many games just work on it without extra work because it runs on console hardware. Unlike Stadia where everything needed to be ported before even being added. And it's a little cheaper to operate than the really high end Nvidia. Though MS has promised PC cloud gaming so that point may be moot. As of now, upgrading cloud gaming hardware regardless means building new Xbox console hardware. And last time it lagged behind the generation because they used Xbox One S hardware at first (and only converted into series X like 1 to 2ish years in the generation; there were also controversies about it impacting available Series X consoles and potentially sales).

Jun 24, 2023
Visit site
At this price level, those interested in a premium gaming experience might lean towards PC gaming. It seems unlikely that this console will attract a significant audience.
This is my take. I feel like Sony doesn't realize or possibly care (and they're on their high horse) how much they are pushing gamers to PC gaming. There are always going to be the extreme loyalists who don't care about the price, but at $700 just as an entry point most people are going to think twice. And that's not including $80 a year (minimum) for paid multiplayer and cloud saves (both of which are free on PC) or any of the other stupid expensive accessories which keep rising in prices or the increased cost of games which Sony spearheaded. Or the reality that having a setup that can make use of any of what the PS5 Pro is promising is itself really expensive. Online gaming communities will bash on the Series S but a $300/$350 (easily $200 for sales) console with its technical capabilities is insane and so far the only confirmed constraint problem that actually impact game availablility is Baldur's Gate 3 and SOLELY because of the split screen (because otherwise Larian got BG3 running day one on Steam deck). The PS5 Pro literally costs at minimum twice as much as the Series S and yes it's significantly more powerful but whose it worth it for? I feel like Sony is getting rather out of touch with console players. Console gaming has always been about casual and plug and play experiences. People choose it over PC because it's both cheaper and more user friendly. But Sony is really pushing the limits of that. A pro model that costs $50 to $100 more is fine because it's not that much more and offers a premium experience that still isn't "as" powerful as the highest end PC but more than satisfies console users. But normally consoles both start at less and have gone down in price by now... yet here Sony is holding prices (even with their slim models which cost less to make) and charging an insans $200 premium to upgrade.

There is a reason why the Nintendo Switch has become the best selling console since the PS2 (though that fact in of itself is a little depressing and I'd really hoped personally consoles would be selling far more units on average now) despite being weaker than even the Xbox One and PS4 consoles. Gaming isn't about some graphics and framerate fetish. It's about having fun and it's a freaking pass time for most people. Honestly its not just PC. People are going to see these rising prices and some are just going to choose a different hobby or form of entertainment all together (like getting an Apple TV and Netflix sub). And it's so interesting how this comes during a time when PC Gaming is getting easier to entire into and costs less. Like the Steam Deck starts at $400 and boasts the super user friendly and fluid Steam OS. Windows Handhelds average for about $500 to $800 and windows is doing a surprising amount to improve gaming on them (and third parties are doing even more). These are super powerful premium devices but offer a lot of benefits over consoles in a handheld form factor. Even otherwise as kids grow up on YouTube building PCs is becoming more popular and it's so much more cost effective. And then you have actual options for where to buy games and that makes prices and benefits more competitive.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfs600