Stick with our "S", or go new Apollo in the fall?

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Been a little while since our threads have been active....

I am not at all worried about our Focus S getting WP 8. I am very sure of it. So, my question is: WHEN our devices get Apollo, will that be good enough, or will most of us want a better spec device?

And if you want a new device, will you give Samsung another shot with their GS3 - style WP8 or their rumored Note with WP8 on it, or will you lean to another manufacturer?

I know how I feel, but I am curious to my "S" community opinions...

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site

I am not at all worried about our Focus S getting WP 8. I am very sure of it. So, my question is: WHEN our devices get Apollo, will that be good enough, or will most of us want a better spec device?

And if you want a new device, will you give Samsung another shot with their GS3 - style WP8 or their rumored Note with WP8 on it, or will you lean to another manufacturer?

I bought my S off contract so I may be in the minority here but...

I've got an upgrade coming in late November, so I have the option to be one of the first people to go to WP8 and the new hardware.

IF Samsung comes out with a GS3/Note WP8 handset, it'll be tempting. And I'm still intrigued by what Nokia does. LTE phones are insane fast, so that is a nice feature to have.

I guess it really depends on price. The S is a great phone, and its going to be hard to give it up because its one of the few WP devices that you can put homebrew apps on and tweak it. But I'd be really, really tempted to go to a Note-ish WP8 device with LTE.

infamousdaveman

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I think Im going to hang on to my Focus S after Apollo hits and enjoy it with the upgrade(which Im also certain we are going to get) . Following new phone news, it really tempting to jump ship, especially with what Nokia is offering and pushing, but I cant for the life of me part with my Focus S. Its perfect in almost every way and it was built to last. Rumor, though never confirmed, is that these devices also support NFC but since Windows OS currently does not, its not activated. Either way though, I just LOVE my device and I think Im going to be patient and skip the apollo phones and get windows 9(or 8.5?). Everything is being optimized for lower speced devices so the extra horsepower isnt going to serve me any better IMO.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I have to admit, I am fairly sure I will be in the market for a new device, but it is really, really nice to have the luxury of a good device. Our "S" with Apollo will sing. I am so excited to see what is ondeck.

Like what bigkevbosky said about the note. My wife is dying for one of those with WP, as apparently her Titan is just too small.

InfamousDave- you are planning on the NEXT WP already???? Man, you are a long term planner, ainchya?

infamousdaveman

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I have to admit, I am fairly sure I will be in the market for a new device, but it is really, really nice to have the luxury of a good device. Our "S" with Apollo will sing. I am so excited to see what is ondeck.

Like what bigkevbosky said about the note. My wife is dying for one of those with WP, as apparently her Titan is just too small.

InfamousDave- you are planning on the NEXT WP already???? Man, you are a long term planner, ainchya?
Well thats the downfall for following tech stuff(for me at least)...you end up going far ahead in the future...heck, I still remember when the Focus S was first spied in the hands of an MS rep, with only the pic to prove its existence(and it was a fuzzy one at that!) Lately, Ive been trailing off tech sites and sticking to WPcentral because I love reading about reviews and games and Also talkign to fellow WP owners through the forums, but constantly being in the NOW for future devices always has me looking towards "whats next" and seriously, its driven me a bit mad LOL. But I can say without a doubt that my next device will be a windows phone device. Nothing can sway me from this platform....nothing! :D

thelastfoiter

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Well thats the downfall for following tech stuff(for me at least)...you end up going far ahead in the future...heck, I still remember when the Focus S was first spied in the hands of an MS rep, with only the pic to prove its existence(and it was a fuzzy one at that!) Lately, Ive been trailing off tech sites and sticking to WPcentral because I love reading about reviews and games and Also talkign to fellow WP owners through the forums, but constantly being in the NOW for future devices always has me looking towards "whats next" and seriously, its driven me a bit mad LOL. But I can say without a doubt that my next device will be a windows phone device. Nothing can sway me from this platform....nothing! :D

LOL that's exactly how I am... But it's more of an addiction. If not for lack of funds and only being 16, I would gladly be a technology reviewer.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
@thelastfoiter: Got the feeling tech ain't going anywhere... lots of time for you to grow into the job!! (Unless the Mayan's are right- then you may have bigger problems anyway..)

I am really kinda torn on this issue. The more I think about it, I wonder if waiting until about this time next year for a great device doesn't make more sense. If so, that gives me about 6 or 7 months to have my "S" get upgraded and see how she sings. I can't help but think that maybe this is where WP 7.5 devices may have missed the boat a little- put a dual core processor, and a little more storage on the top devices and future proof them a little. They were touting WP8 even before Mango was released, so they knew higher specs were coming. A little better hardware wouldn't have hurt, and those of us with "top end" Mango devices would have been ready.

As it is, a hi def screen, better processing, and a device optimized for Apollo will probably win me over.

Just doesn't seem to be fair, here......

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I got sick of the screen responsiveness bug & keyboard sound bug & the terrible Samsung apps on my Focus S, so I will be sporting Apollo on my 900 :)

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

thelastfoiter

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I got sick of the screen responsiveness bug & keyboard sound bug & the terrible Samsung apps on my Focus S, so I will be sporting Apollo on my 900 :)

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Don't be too sure, you are PURELY hoping you will be. I too hope 1.5 gens see WP8...

idrewpage

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
upgrade to WP 8

Well, I have an upgrade coming up at the end of November, so I'll either be getting a WP8 device, or the iPhone 5. Hard to say which until I see what WP 8 offers and what the phone choice is.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss