Storage details - other category

DenniSundaY

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Re: WindowsPhone 8 users: What's your OTHER STORAGE size?

How did you manage to download it as you are from Holland? I'm also from Holland and Windows market told me i can't download it because of my region..

EDIT: Fixed it.

What was the problem? NL: Wat was het probleem? :).

Ixolite

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

yeah but why is market saying that I have no space? It's not that dynamic as it should be...
it's the biggest bug in microsoft since history i guess.

It's like the biggest dustbin you've ever seen, wow great, but once it's full, there is no way to empty it. LOL i guess i'm f*ked with my HTC 8s.

I guess I'm lucky because 'Other' cleared itself twice already on my Lumia 820 - but it did show the 'low space' warning both times and it wasn't a particularly smooth operation in both cases.

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: What about the "Other" storage section ?

wow Shrink Storage cleaned 1GB from other into free space

went from

music & videos 3.08MB
pictures 0
apps 1.79 GB
OTHER 3.29GB
system 1.91GB
free space 416.20MB

to

music & videos 3.08MB
pictures 0
apps 1.68 GB
OTHER 2.26GB
system 1.91GB
free space 154.00GB

PipoDj

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site

wow Shrink Storage cleaned 1GB from other into free space

went from

music & videos 3.08MB
pictures 0
apps 1.79 GB
OTHER 3.29GB
system 1.91GB
free space 416.20MB

to

music & videos 3.08MB
pictures 0
apps 1.68 GB
OTHER 2.26GB
system 1.91GB
free space 154.00GB

is this legit? i mean it has no reviews from the Store yet.

DenniSundaY

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site

is this legit? i mean it has no reviews from the Store yet.

yes, it is legit. I also was sceptical first, but it did drain almost 1gb of my other. I have 4gb of other left, but that's better as 5gb of other memory! I made a review for the app but my reviews usually don't come trough...

PipoDj

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site

Worked as described. But i didn't think it made any difference in my storage. from 2.47GB to 2.68GB. I guess there was very little cleanup needed for my phone. Can anyone else test this App and tell if it does a good job? giving it 3 stars for now

Shrink Storage

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site

Ok i tried it, it took about 30 Minutes but it has made 3,3 GB Free Other shrink from ~ 6,8 GB to 3,5 GB!

Nice Workaround! :)

JimiDiGriz

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site

Didn't make a dent for me, did what it said in terms of filling up and clearing phone storage but my 'other' remains at 2.3gb and I can't install an app that's 100mb (Pac Man DX, uninstalled to make room for something else) even though I have 400mb+ free phone space. Urge to hurl phone against wall increasing.

LBLEIJE

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site

It said I couldn't download it because of my region, but that's always set at UK, as I prefer English above Dutch in electronics.

LBLEIJE

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site

Don't be anxious about the app. The only thing it does is the next:
step 1. Fill up your complete Phone memory with rubbish.
step 2. Because of this, Windows Phone notices a shortage on memory and on this way the (not so) dynamic memory 'system' frees up some space, for this to happen you will have to restart your Phone.
step 3. delete the rubbish memory again using the app, and you will notice windows Phone had deleted some cache, or whatever it is.

Note that the app is fully working legit without any danger for your files. The dynamic system is not working properly, it should work without the trigger. I hope the update will cover that.

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

I just ran the free app called shrink storage and my free space is now 12.58gb was 11.74gb. So it does do something.

electriclamb

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site

my other space randomly cleared its self of nearly 5 gigs last night which is freaking awesome, i went from 7 gigs of other to 3 gigs of other. I wonder if alot of people are going to start seeing their other deplete all around the same time if we all got our phones at around the same time. i got mine in the mail 3 days after it was released. The cache which holds your app data is on a timer and will only hold your app data for so long before its obvious you dont intend to install a particular program again.

I think i lost all my other data at once because, obviously, when i first got the phone i went on a power trip and installed and deleted tons of apps. Over the next few weeks i believe i should see my "other" start to clear itself out bit by bit as previously installed apps begin to reach the max amount of time they can stay in the reserve. It makes since. It all just built up at once and once the timer cycle has started you will begin to see your other stay at a minimal level. I will track my other from here on out and see if this makes sense.

If so its exciting actually.

electriclamb

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site

the only hole in my "app reserve timer" theory would be if somebody got their phone before me and their "other" still has yet to clear out.

KHROMAsynthetik

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

Can you remember what date you got your phone? I got mine November 9th, and my 'Other' allocation is currently 4.47GB. It usually sits around 4-5GB, though once I did somehow manage to get it down to around 2.5GB - I couldn't tell you how though. Clearing my Bing and IE history used to clear up some of it, but it doesn't seem to make a difference anymore. I have about 10GB free at the moment (I'm usually pretty frugal with storage), so it's not critical for me, but I'd certainly like to minimise it.

electriclamb

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I can't remember the exact date I got my phone but I can tell you I did absolutely nothing to get it to go down. 4 to 5 really isn't bad anyway haha some people are creeping up on 13 gigs, imagine that.

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site

I've got really bad news for all of you. I have owned a Zune 30, Zune 80, Zune HD, Windows phone 7, and now a Windows Phone 8. This problem has existed in ALL of them. And even worse, you can call a million times, read a million complaints and posts about it, and Microsoft pretends it is the first time they have heard of it. On the Zunes, it got so bad that deleting videos or anything, wouldn't make the storage drop at all (forget about Other/reserved). There is a major issue and they will just tell you it is firmware when you first call. I laugh each time and ask "10 GB of firmware???". Then they change excuses to, "you must have synced it with another computer other than your main cpu". No matter how much you deny that and tell them no way, they blame it on that. Sadly I have heard this B.S. for 7 years now, going all the way back to the original Zune. They pretend they know nothing about it, no matter how long threads like this get. And there were the same threads on the Zune forums also. I have no idea what needs to be done to force them to acknowledge this and then fix it. Best case scenario right now, is WPCentral force the issue with their contacts. Otherwise, between the Xbox Music/Video, Xbox Live mobile, and this issue, Windows Phone is going to die a slow death.

Last edited:

DenniSundaY

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I've got really bad news for all of you. I have owned a Zune 30, Zune 80, Zune HD, Windows phone 7, and now a Windows Phone 8. This problem has existed in ALL of them. And even worse, you can call a million times, read a million complaints and posts about it, and Microsoft pretends it is the first time they have heard of it. On the Zunes, it got so bad that deleting videos or anything, wouldn't make the storage drop at all (forget about Other/reserved). There is a major issue and they will just tell you it is firmware when you first call. I laugh each time and ask "10 GB of firmware???". Then must have synced it with another computer other than your main. No matter how much you deny that and tell them ko way, they

I think it's true what you're saying. Even my iPod touch has problems with other storage but not that much. If i look back at my LG Optimus 7, it also had very much space 'reserved' for the system (but you could change that in zune) but also other which had taken much space. I really hope that Microsoft is onto it but on the other side you just can't expect them to be working on it though...

JoJoUK

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site

Shrink Storage didn't do anything for me. Why can't WP8 use the SD card for other things besides pictures and music?
I remember flashing my old HD2 with a WP7 ROM, you had to make sure that the SD card was in at the first flash and it was never removed as the HD2/7 'believed' that the SD card was actually built in space, not expandable 'external' memory. Perhaps this problem you outlined is a throw back to this same issue?

I had an 820 and it sufferent from massive SD card issues, the only way the SD card(s, I tried a few) worked was after a hard reset and the data copied using the WP7 Sync app, if I tried to drag and rop music / picture via explorer it just crashed. If I turned the phone off, took the SD card out (it had been formated by the phone) then copied music / pictures using explorer and an SD card adaptor and explorer into the relevant folders it would copy fine but when I put it in the phone I couldn't see anything and the 'other' section would show up as the total size off all the pictures / music I had copied onto the SD card previously. On a side note if I wanted to copy across even 1 song I had to go through the whole syncing process. Nightmare. Now I have a 920 and the sync / copy issues has gone which leads me to believe that the use of an SD card is the problem.

Also have you ever seen an Android phone if you take out the SD card and have installed apps on it, my wife and I both had Sony Ericsson Arcs and it would go mental if you turned it on without the SD card, not work the hassle.

I also don't believe that the 'other' section is truely dynamic, I believe it's a bit like a temp folder which doesn't manage itself very well, I was told by my phone it had run out of space many time but the other section was 2 / 3GB is size, clearly not dynamic!

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster