Suggestion: Allow to clear live tile notifications

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
One of the things I don't like about live tiles is how there is no way to know what information is old or new. For example, it might have an email ticking away that is days old that I haven't read and don't need to do anything with for a couple of days. Also, if there are multiple new updates, you can't see the previous ones you didn't notice before.

I think this would be a good use of something like press and hold or 3D touch or some way to click a live tile and cause it to expand to display all of the notifications you have missed and clear the ones you don't care about or open directly to the notification you missed. It would be nice if it worked with the notification center to clear both simultaneously.

Anyone else have any thoughts about this? It causes me to turn off a lot of live tiles on my PC, because it makes things look cluttered and I can't get rid of them.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
That's a very functional idea. Not very flashy. But certainly functional. I feel like developers already have the option to have tiles cleared when they are viewed. But the notification center makes it possible for you to get the jist of a notification without actually opening the app to view it. Which is why some sort of a clearing mechanism would make sense.

I'd say look for it in the feedback hub, and if you don't see it, add it yourself!

Feedback Hub now available for anyone running Windows 10 PC or Mobile | Windows Central

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
It used to be better. If I opened, say, my email app and read some emails it would remove the appropriate notifications. Since the last cumulative update this no longer happens. If I open the email app, for example, and read an email the notification remains in the action centre (but not on the tile). If I open it from the action centre, it disappears from both the email tile and the action centre. This is true of all apps with notifications.

This happens across apps and across all W10 devices, phones, PCs, Tablets, Laptops, even my Stick PC.

The effect is that I've no idea which of the forest of notifications I have actually read.

Best work around is to turn off the notification centre completely and use the tile instead. I find the usual approach by MS is to introduce something, then make it work, then gradually strip the features until it is unusable again, then they start from scratch with something incompatible with the previous approach. Looks like the pattern is still in force. All you can do is hold it together with tape, glue and hope like the rest of us.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I think what I would like even better is the ability to just hide the notification on the live tile without ever having to read the email or text message. Like if I closed the notification in the notification center, the live tile would forget the notification as well, even though I never read the email or text.

In some ways the live tiles and notification center create too much redundancy. I remember when the notification center was created that I thought my live tiles were already my notification center.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo