Suggestion for future proof windows phone?

pankil

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Hello All

I am on Lumia 900 and need to upgrade it soon. Future proof means I do not want new phone to face same fate as lumia 900. After I pre-ordered it MSFT decided to stop supporting the platform and I was stuck with it for period of my contract.

I am looking for windows phone whose hardware will not become unsupported very soon and will have all new features that Denim update supports. Since I am in US and I am thinking of buying the phone unlocked from ebay/expansys.

I am considering Lumia 830, 930 and 1520.

Lumia 930

will not get glance due to hardware restrictions.​
Costlier than 1520 on ebay.​

Lumia 830

will not have Hello Cortana​
For $50 more I can get 930 on ebay​

Lumia 1520
Size​

Appreciate your suggestions on this.

Last edited:

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
To you what is considered future proof? 3 years? If so then the 1520 is a nice pick, if you don't like the screen size then perhaps the 930 will suit you.

The HTC M8 for Windows is also a good idea since it's exactly like the android version but running windows phone, hopefully HTC is committed to updating the M8

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I think the current key to having the maximum benefits of future updates with current phones is Snapdragon 800 series processor in the phone, which applies to the 1520, 930, Icon, and M8. Knowing what we currently do about pending updates, these updates will utilize features such as SensorCore, which will allow your phone to act as a fitness monitor and use the "Hey Cortana" feature of Denim.

pankil

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi jmshub
You are right. But glance will not be coming to Lumia 930/Icon due to hardware support. So am thinking that on Lumia 1520 will get all the support. The only catch is humongous size and comparatively weak battery. Having said that you can not get everything. Even iPhone/Moto X/Nexus 5 do not have every thing.

I guess I might have to decide between 930 and 1520 as per latest information.

pankil

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi ShinraCorp

Appreciate your suggestion. Edited original message with more information. By future proof I meant that I did not want the phone to suffer from indifference from MSFT just like Lumia 900. I plan to use the phone for atleast 2 yrs.

pankil

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Yes as of now only 1520.3 will support US LTE bands. How much of that impacts overall performance/experience of the phone? My Lumia 900 shows LTE but I search performance to be inferior to iphone 4s.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the 1520.3 variant, and the at&t retail model will support US's LTE band. at&t has activated LTE in my area in the last few months, and the difference is usually quite noticeable. So getting a new phone that didn't support LTE would be a deal breaker for me, but it may not be so important for you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)