Surface 2 Speakers

cygnus11

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I just got my Surface 2 and I am noticing that the sound out of the speakers is incredibly quiet compared to the Surface RT. They also lack any bass. They sound very "tinny".

Is anyone else noticing this?

cygnus11

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I guess mine seem pretty quiet compared to the RT. I had my RT volume set at about 30 and the sound was decently loud. I need to set the Surface 2 volume to about 66 to match the same perceived loudness. At least that is what I am experiencing.

TechyMexican

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
My speakers do sounds quiet, and they seem to cut out and crackle. :[ I drove to the Microsoft Store for 30 minutes I may go back later into he week

Drbeckman

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I just got my Surface 2 and I am noticing that the sound out of the speakers is incredibly quiet compared to the Surface RT. They also lack any bass. They sound very "tinny".

Is anyone else noticing this?

I have the same problem. I created a topic about that two days ago.
Hope it will be fixed with an update.

cygnus11

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I actually purchased two Surface 2's today - one for me and one for my son. He just got home from school and opened his up and I was somewhat relieved to hear that his speakers sound exactly like mine. I gave my old Surface RT to my daughter and I was just comparing the speakers. It is crazy how much better sounding the RT's speakers are compared to the Surface 2's. I really hope they fix this soon - the sound quality is a huge step backwards.

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
My speakers do sounds quiet, and they seem to cut out and crackle. :[ I drove to the Microsoft Store for 30 minutes I may go back later into he week
I tthought was alone. I guess the cracking sound is there. Anyone else hearing cracks while on loud? Pls let me know so I can exchange this.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Also noticed that my sound is a bit tinny. I also can't seem to find the option to adjust the bass under the control panel.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I had my speakers play all last night (Netflix) to see if maybe breaking them in will help out and it did a little, they sound a little better, but I really do think a software update is required.

cygnus11

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Since the speakers are not sounding too good, I decided to use headphones last night for my usual hour of streaming video. Unfortunately, my experience with headphones was a mixed bag.

The good: Xbox music sounded fantastic. Also, streaming YouTube from the website via the metro IE browser was flawless. The bad: Streaming video from Amazon Instant Video using both the metro and desktop IE browsers was absolutely terrible. Every video I tried to stream crackled like crazy. It was practically unbearable.

Can anyone else verify that streaming through Amazon Instant Video is producing really bad sound (with breakups and crackles)? Hopefully this is just a driver fix. My Surface RT never gave me a problem with Amazon Instant Video.

podsnap

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
This is so depressing, the speakers were something they boasted about at the launch event.

How sure can we be it's just a software problem?

Last edited:

cygnus11

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
This is so depressing, the speakers where something they boasted about at the launch event.

How sure can we be it's just a software problem?

You're right. I remember now that they specifically pointed out the speaker quality at the launch event. Thinking back to that, it is even crazier that the speakers are causing problems now.

It is either a software issue, or I was unlucky enough to get two bad Surface 2's (mine and my son's).

Aenil

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi all, i'm a new italian owner of this fantastic tablet (sorry for my eng.), for the speakers problem someone has posted in an official Microsoft site/community?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb