Surface acting wacky after latest update

longcipher

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Rarely has my Surface rebooted or crashed since I bought it back in the Fall, it's always been stable. After the latest updates, it's hung and crashed 3 times. Email will lock up and hang the entire tablet. Anyone else seeing these issues??

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Crashed for first time yesterday for me while browsing. Only time though but thought it was weird since it never happened before. Bought at launch In Oct.

MDboyz

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue here. I did refresh the Surface RT. Playing around with it for couple hours without any crashes. Updated it with all the latest, then the issue happened again. I think something to do with the latest patch. Will try to refresh again and install update one by one to figure out which one causes the crash later when I get home from work.

shn'g

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
to be honest my Surface has been running fine and I haven't noticed any problems but that doesn't mean I won't start to so I'll post if anything changes

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
latest patches are bad. Make sure to send the crash results to microsoft.

....and your proof that the latest patches are bad is based upon what? Perhaps the overwhelming number of users in this thread (less than ten) must really be indicative of some massive wave of system failures. Actually, the opposite is almost always true - forums over sample problems rather than under sample. People really need to keep this stuff real....

dmiller444

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I have not completed the upgrade,and my devices seems to hang alot. It happens when using mail, store, IE, and home page. Frankly, I have been using the RT less and less because of the frustration and no time right now to spend troubleshooting...

SeeVuPlay

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
The people app is not giving me updates...it has those three dots run across the top of the screen for a long time. Prior to the update two days ago, it was quick to update. I might uninstall the app and reinstall

ZombieBacchus

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I have the same issue here. I did refresh the Surface RT. Playing around with it for couple hours without any crashes. Updated it with all the latest, then the issue happened again. I think something to do with the latest patch. Will try to refresh again and install update one by one to figure out which one causes the crash later when I get home from work.

Let us know how u make out. My Surface was flawless until the latest updates. Now I can't play any games without the system hanging. This is bumbing me out.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
....and your proof that the latest patches are bad is based upon what? Perhaps the overwhelming number of users in this thread (less than ten) must really be indicative of some massive wave of system failures. Actually, the opposite is almost always true - forums over sample problems rather than under sample. People really need to keep this stuff real....

listen dude, prior to this months updates, no one was raising as much noise as they are after the patches. What else do you think it could be, some nefarious time bomb code that just starts crashing? Last night, for the first time ever, I had -video corruption- with crazy artifacts all over my screen that didn't go away until a restart. The last patches, more than likely the firmware update, F---ED the Surface.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I've been having issues with Mail and Music since the latest update. Music will sometimes crash as soon as it's loaded, and this morning it crashed to the Start screen, but the screen wouldn't show any of my tiles. This has happened before and I can usually hit the Windows key to bring it back, but this time it didn't. I then tried to hold the power button to force a shut down and it wouldn't come back on! I thought for sure it was bricked, but I eventually got it to come back somehow.

It seems to be getting worse and worse the more I use it. I had very few complaints/issues before the latest update. Not good.

ZombieBacchus

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Not to worry anyone but I had to reinstall Windows last night. Games and apps started hanging over this past week and when I got home from work last night the Surface was almost unusable. I tried the refresh option first and it looked like it worked but after all my apps downloaded and I tried to update Windows the system just would reboot endlessly. I decided just to start from scratch. The reinstall went flawlessly and things worked much better this morning. I will start updating the OS tonight and see how it goes. I would think this thread would be huge if this was a widespread issue so I am hoping with the clean install and updates that things will be back to normal. I never had any issues with my Surface until last weeks update and I have had it since launch.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm not saying what the cause is - but it may be coincidental that after this month's updates I've experienced two problems that I have not had before (and I have had the Surface RT since launch day). One - I had a BSOD. No details - and I sent the report to MS, but nothing to indicate what happened. Two - I experienced the same issue as "inteller" above. I was in Bento News, reading an article and the graphics card had a moment, causing green artifacts all over the screen. I was able to close the app, but Start screen had odd pixels out of place. I performed a shut down, and then brought the system back up. Haven't had a problem since (this was last week).

So empirically, it would seem that the latest updates did cause some stability issues, at least for me. My machine doesn't change much at all. I have the same apps I've had since the beginning. The only changes are the monthly updates. I mostly use the Surface for web browsing in IE.

VineRider

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
After loading the last set of updates, I had similar issues as ZombieBacchus noted above, that overall performance was less than normal, especially web browsing via IE. I decided to do a refresh of the system files, but that didnt seem to help. So, I did a reset to set everything back to initiaal state, and then reloaded all the updates. Performance is MUCH better and I have expereinced no further problems. So, a system reset may help some of you that are having issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dazt6h