Surface Andromeda is absolutely Panos' "baby"

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
The future of computing is mobile, so MS really has no choice but to find it's way back in the game. I don't think providing services and software for competing platforms is sufficient long term. I'm just hoping PC's become pocketible soon, eliminating the need for using multiple platforms, PC + Android or PC + iPhone. I doubt typical users will carry two devices, so this Pocket PC needs to make calls, receive texts, etc.

DavidBS1989

Mar 21, 2018
Visit site
Well, very glad to have news. I hope the device see the light son, I want a new "Windows Phone", just make it with phone capabilites and it will be great!

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Well, very glad to have news.

The three main things I take from this:

1.) Andromeda definitely exists. As far as I know, this is the first time a Microsoft exec has explicitly confirmed it's existence. And it's Panos himself!

2.) Panos himself has taken a personal interest in this device. That doesn't mean it's definitely going to go to market. The Surface Mini didn't, and Panos spoke fondly of that device too. But it does mean that the visionary behind much of what the Surface line has become is taking ownership of this product. That's reassuring.

3.) The two things that Panos has identified as being hurdles are A.) The development of Windows Core OS (software) and B.) The appeal of the specific hardware category for the consumer.

This is easily the most revealing, exciting, and promising news we've had on Andromda.

DavidBS1989

Mar 21, 2018
Visit site

1.) Andromeda definitely exists. As far as I know, this is the first time a Microsoft exec has explicitly confirmed it's existence. And it's Panos himself!

2.) Panos himself has taken a personal interest in this device. That doesn't mean it's definitely going to go to market. The Surface Mini didn't, and Panos spoke fondly of that device too. But it does mean that the visionary behind much of what the Surface line has become is taking ownership of this product. That's reassuring.

3.) The two things that Panos has identified as being hurdles are A.) The development of Windows Core OS (software) and B.) The appeal of the specific hardware category for the consumer.

This is easily the most revealing, exciting, and promising news we've had on Andromda.

It sounds great! Definitely, is a very good new, and approach the Andrómeda device a little more to the reality. Thank you for your info, mate!

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Given MS track record, and even history of support of some Surface devices, I'm not spending a cent until I know that it's not going to become abandoned in one or two years.

With that said, If this is meant to compliment a smartphone, I think it's DOA. Additionally, what's the point of the Surface Go, if this is meant to be great?

More questions than answers I suppose, however, I suspect that news coverage of mobiles is screaming for something different to cover. For the last 4 or even 5 years, about the biggest stories in the mobile space has been notched screens and losing the headphone jack...

It looks like there is some exploitation of the boring state of affairs with phones at the moment. Doesn't do anything to solve the issue with apps though.

Long Xuyen

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site

Another angle might be that Panos is soon to leave MS because this statement flies in Nadella's face.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
A further angle may be, it has to be convincing enough for Nadella, and just about everyone at MS to abandon their iphones and androids, and use the andromeda device.

I think it's not very likely something will be compelling enough at this stage for them to release it, and Dan and Zac have been saying it for a while; andromeda needs to be perfect at launch. It may be a 'new category' but it definitely is in a highly contested space.

Last edited:

DavidBS1989

Mar 21, 2018
Visit site
A further angle may be, it has to be convincing enough for Nadella, and just about everyone at MS to abandon their iphones and androids, and use the andromeda device.

I think it's not very likely something will be compelling enough at this stage for them to release it, and Dan and Zac have been saying it for a while; andromeda needs to be perfect at launch. It may be a 'new category' but it definitely is in a highly contested space.

I want to think in MS everyone uses Windows phone mobiles.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site

If you remember, MS Exec's did not uniformly use WPhones when MS made, supported and sold them. Has to be one hell of a product for them to go away from Android and Iphones.

Razius

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
If you remember, MS Exec's did not uniformly use WPhones when MS made, supported and sold them. Has to be one hell of a product for them to go away from Android and Iphones.

I'm even more curious as to what OEMs are on board and are also developing devices. I know they said they have several creating this form factor now, but are we going to see anything like the Duo before the Duo is released?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel