Surface Go wifi randomly drops, then comes back?

wolfpack219

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
I have a Surface Go 8GB version, got it on product release. This device has done this since day one.

Problem: At random while connected to my home Comcast wifi network, the signal will completely drop. The wifi signal symbol will go away and it turns into a globe looking symbol with lines all across it. Then after about 15-20 seconds the signal pops back up. Its not consistent either as far as time elapsed between drops. It could happen within several minutes of each other or be hours.

Things I've tried:
- Reset my router
- Rolled back Qualcomm driver/ updated driver to most recent

Any other suggestions and please be detailed as will attempt to follow your instructions. Thanks again for your help.

Gayle Lynn

Jan 6, 2018
Visit site
Update firmware on router, when was last firmware update?

Change wifi channel. Look for interference.
Use wifi extenfer to offer better coverage.
Turn airplane mode on/off.

wolfpack219

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
I know the router did a firmware update recently. maybe changing the channel might be a good option. My other devices in the same areas of the home don't drop so I don't think it's a weak signal. I will try the channel and report back.

wolfpack219

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
So Xfinity changed the format of the admin in the router and I can't for the life of me find the channel select option anymore for the "Go". According to Netgear analyzer it says both my networks 2.4ghz and 5 ghz are on channel 6 and 157. Both Channels have max strength at 100%. However nowhere can I find to change the specific channel for single device.

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Do other devices disconnect or only the Surface? If it's only the Surface, then this is worth trying: go to the power management tab in the properties of the adapter and disable "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" if it's enabled.

wolfpack219

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
Yes it's only the Surface. I changed the only setting I could find under the wireless adapter which was turn off: Never, manual, let windows manage. It was on never, I changed it to let windows manage to,see what happens.

wolfpack219

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
I found an option to reset all network adapters to default and reinstall the drivers. I decided to try this and we'll see. Might have been a glitch from when it was updated at some point or from the factory. Either way its working now and I haven't noticed a drop. Ill keep you informed. Thanks for the help to those that replied.

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Ok, and the setting I'm referring to is this: Open Network & Internet Settings > Change Adapter Options > right-click the Wi-Fi adapter > Properties > click Configure > go to Power Management tab > disable the option below

Wireless adapter properties.jpg

wolfpack219

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
Tried the ones listed that I haven't already tried, no luck. I'm thinking the power management one would help but I don't have that option on this device. Unfortunately I think its either a windows error or a bad driver for the Qualcomm Atheros adapter. It says it using the 2018 update but there is a 2019 driver update. However my driver update option says its already running the best driver for this device.

wolfpack219

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
So in my latest attempt to correct the issue, I downloaded a driver update tool. The tool identified some 27 outdated drivers on my Go and updated them to the most current versions. The Qualcomm Atheros was one of the outdated drivers. So far so good I'll update if any drops occur in the same manner.

wolfpack219

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
It would appear the driver update has corrected this issue. Its unfortunate that windows itself does not recognize the new drivers that are available.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb