Surface Pro 3 MECHANICAL FAN NOISE DEFECT

davo_svk

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Hello ! Almost after 2 years my Surface has started making odd mechanical fan noise. Is there any way how to fix it ?
This is my second surface pro 3. First one had this problem too, but right after first boot. This one got this problem after 2 years.
>>> https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aqc6Y3QdNzHPprhJ3Ol_CMQNViZoMg
I tried Vaccum cleaner but it didnt work.
Any solutions please ?? Thank you :crying:

My surface warranty expired months ago.. I have to solve this problem on my own, but i need help :-/

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like something may be physically stuck. What I would do is buy a can of compressed air (specifically for computer dusting, etc.), look up a teardown of the Surface Pro 3 to see where the fans are located and put some bursts of air in there. (not while its turned on though)

I don't think a vacuum is powerful enough btw.

davo_svk

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Compressed air didn't help :unhappy: I tried push air by many ways and , but it looks like there is not any dust. It looks like the fan is unballanced, and when I tilt the device it scratches parts around :crying:

Too bad there is not way how to fix it... Because that mechanical noise is really annoying

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I would consider "percussive maintenance" to see if maybe something needs to be popped back into place but that's just me. Can make it worse.

Unfortunately, the way the Surface Pro 3 (and any other Surface) was designed makes it virtually impossible to open up and repair. (which is why I'm not a huge fan of them) The benefit gained is that they're slim and compact but you're not going to easily get inside without breaking the display.

davo_svk

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
But still... Surface Pro 1,2,4 and Book has NOT that problem, only Pro 3. And also just some units. Unfortunately I have that problem again on second surface pro 3. Damn :angry:

I hope I'll find a way how to fix it soon.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
But still... Surface Pro 1,2,4 and Book has NOT that problem, only Pro 3. And also just some units. Unfortunately I have that problem again on second surface pro 3. Damn :angry:

I hope I'll find a way how to fix it soon.

Well, those models still have a physical fan so that's a potential point of weakness. And even if 3's tend to see it more often, doesn't change that the others may have their own tendencies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lamtepp