Surface Pro 3 vs. Windows 10 Preview

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm always keen on trying the newest versions of windows, but I've been holding off installing Win 10 preview for awhile now. With the newest Jan preview update, I am interested in giving it a try, since my SP3 is sort of ready for a refresh anyway.
So I know there's a few threads on here on current known issues, but I would like to hear from the SP3 owners who installed the preview AND this newest update for the following:

1. Is there any deal breakers that is forcing you to go back to Win 8.1?
2. In general, can you do daily tasks and browsing without interruptions?
3. How bad is the compatibility issues with Windows 10 as of now, with popular desktop apps and games? Any list out there for share?
4. And finally, would the upgrade to the final build be easy breathy, or a total headache? i.e. complete resetting, wiping data, etc.? Also I know I could just look this up... but when is the final build going to be released?

Thanks a lot in advance :)

skier06

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Well I installed it as a dual boot and am having video card issues (twice) screen goes blank every 5 seconds and then reboots. I've read of some others having the same issue. I tried deleting the device and having windows update add it back. Didn't help.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I have reset my Surface Pro 3 to factory settings once, back in the summer, on Windows 8.1. Since then, I have installed as an upgrade from ISO every public build of Windows 10 on the first or second day it was available. A few bugs sure, but nothing yet to make me seriously consider going back.

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I like better W8.1 in tablet mode.
I have been hating use W10 with surface in tablet mode.
For example IE11 in W8.1(Metro) is more user friendly

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Oh, and don't think you're going to be gaming. Yes, I used to play Saint's Row 2 with a lot of settings down. Now? It goes down to 1fps where it had around 30.

markyjns

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Runs a lot hotter, fan kicks in particularly in the photos hub.

Video playback breaks up a lot and video on the web crashes IE. But generally it all seems very stable.

If you're in love with the 8.1 Start screen then be aware this build is still very desktop orientated and not start screen or tablet friendly but it is completely usable and strides towards tablet usage have clearly been made. I don't regret and won't be switching back but I seriously miss the start screen which was a thing of elegance and beauty.
I'd say do it and make good use of the feedback facilities but that's just my opinion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786