Surface Pro 7 USB-C heating problem

palantirrus

Nov 27, 2019
Visit site
bought a Surface Pro 7 - i7 version. it works fine, but when plugged to USB-C monitor (and charging through USB-C ) then when it goes to sleep it gets quite hot and seems never cools down even when it stays in the Sleep mode for several hours. It gets so hot that when I wake it, the fan starts working at its maximum rate until it cools down.
When I use a separate Surface charger – there is no such problem and it cools down as normal when it goes into the sleep mode.
Has anybody experienced such problem?

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
bought a Surface Pro 7 - i7 version. it works fine, but when plugged to USB-C monitor (and charging through USB-C ) then when it goes to sleep it gets quite hot and seems never cools down even when it stays in the Sleep mode for several hours. It gets so hot that when I wake it, the fan starts working at its maximum rate until it cools down.
When I use a separate Surface charger – there is no such problem and it cools down as normal when it goes into the sleep mode.
Has anybody experienced such problem?
, what monitor do you use and what cables? In general for usb charging you will want to use higher quality chargers/cables (often that is the official charger of the phone/tablet). Do you have access to another device that can be charged through the monitor? (like a phone or such) Try plugging that in for hours while running something on the background semi-heavy and see if it gets really hot.

Whatever the case, it is good you noticed. Prolonged heat in a phone/tablet/laptop is never good for the battery over time.

palantirrus

Nov 27, 2019
Visit site
Hello Ochhanz. thanks for your response! my monitor is HP S240uj and I use the usb-c cable that came with the monitor (i.e. it's supposed to support the charging). I will try to plug other devices an see if they work fine. at the moment I have to use a workaround: although my monitor supports usb-c, I am using usb-c->hdmi converter and plug surface pro 7 to the monitor through hdmi. that feels very weird :)
thanks,
Alex

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
Hello Ochhanz. thanks for your response! my monitor is HP S240uj and I use the usb-c cable that came with the monitor (i.e. it's supposed to support the charging). I will try to plug other devices an see if they work fine. at the moment I have to use a workaround: although my monitor supports usb-c, I am using usb-c->hdmi converter and plug surface pro 7 to the monitor through hdmi. that feels very weird :)
thanks,
Alex
, hmm looks like a good monitor on first glance. If other devices don't heat up a lot through charging than it could be a firmware problem maybe (try asking/spamming Microsoft with this question :) , there is also an Reddit Surface which probably know more about it).

Maybe someone else can say if this works for certain with the SP 7 but personally I would just use a usb c dock for hdmi or displayport for convenience (extra ports), instead of a usb-c to hdmi dongle. While the SP 7 does not have thunderbolt it does have a relative new usb c version which should prove plenty for most dock functions. Usb c docks can be cheap, just double check if they have everything you require.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlizaForbes