Surface Pro AMD?

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
Hi,

There were just recently rumors* about Microsoft going to offer a Surface deivce(s) with AMD processor option too, do you guys think the chances are high a Surface Pro with AMD will be released?

The AMD Ryzen 3500u/3700u seems so far to be an interesting chip because it is apperently more efficient that the Ryzen 2500u/2700u, which seems to be especially beneficial for both battery life and the vega graphics chip in it. E.g. I heard the 15 inch Envy 2-1 with the 3500u performs noticeable better in general than the 2500u variant. From what I read so far it seems the vega igpu can now perform like a nvidia MX150/MX250 (the 15watt variant).

Also I heard Microsoft and Intel's relation worsened, so that might be an extra push for Microsoft also offer AMD Surface Pro's?

*https://tabletmonkeys.com/microsoft...mm-chipsets-in-surface-devices-says-insiders/

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Well, the die shrank a little between the 2 and 3, so that explains some of the efficiency.

I am actually looking at getting a laptop with a Ryzen 5 over the Intels. Mainly due to the idea that you are getting a little more bang for the buck.

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
I would love a Surface Pro with an AMD set up. Ryzen 5 with an RX5700.
, that would be nice but it is not gonna happen because of too much heat. It is a possibility for the Surface Book though.
If MS is gonna release a AMD Surface Pro with e.g. a Ryzen 4500u or 4700u it would be already very powerful for a tablet, much faster gpu than the Ipad Pro and most likely faster or at the very least equal to the mx250.
I do silently hope that Asus one day makes a smaller version if it's Mothership, like between 13.5-16 inch with a touchscreen/digitizer and a midrange AMD/Nvidia gpu.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
, that would be nice but it is not gonna happen because of too much heat. It is a possibility for the Surface Book though.
If MS is gonna release a AMD Surface Pro with e.g. a Ryzen 4500u or 4700u it would be already very powerful for a tablet, much faster gpu than the Ipad Pro and most likely faster or at the very least equal to the mx250.
I do silently hope that Asus one day makes a smaller version if it's Mothership, like between 13.5-16 inch with a touchscreen/digitizer and a midrange AMD/Nvidia gpu.

I agree, this will most likely never happen. I like your Asus idea though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria