Surface Screen Separation

kewlgirl73

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
So, I've had my Surface Pro for just over a month now and last night I was taking some time to admire how sleek it looks when I noticed something weird. The bottom section of screen had started to separate from the device. From one end to the other along the entire length of the bottom, the screen had loosened from it's adhesive.

I ended up taking it back to BB today and they exchanged it for me. I asked them if they had seen any other Surface's with this issue and they said no.

Anyone else seen or heard of this happening before? I'm going to my local MS store tomorrow and was going to chat with them about it while I am there.

kewlgirl73

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I got mine from BB and took it back to them as the Microsoft Store is a little ways away from me.

I ended up going to the MS Store a few days later anyways and talked to a few of the people there and they said that they have not seen any Surface units come back with that issue. BB said the same thing when I asked them about it as well. My new unit is holding up nicely though so far.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I got mine from BB and took it back to them as the Microsoft Store is a little ways away from me.

I ended up going to the MS Store a few days later anyways and talked to a few of the people there and they said that they have not seen any Surface units come back with that issue. BB said the same thing when I asked them about it as well. My new unit is holding up nicely though so far.
That's good to hear. Good luck with your new Surface.

IM4CHRST

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I have not seen it physically separate from the body, but I notice a small ticking noise when I press on the screen and release my finger. It sounds as if the adhesive is coming loose. I've had mine for a year now. My nearest MS store is 3 hours away, but going to Denver next week so I will take it there and get it replaces. I also have some issues with the kickstand too.

Funny enough, along the same time I notice this happening, the felt on my type cover start separating too. They better replace both.

kewlgirl73

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Well, the Surface Pro that Best Buy swapped my previous one out for appears to have had the same issue with the screen. This time it separated on the top bezel around the camera.

This time though, I took it to the MS Store here in Houston to have them look at it. The tech said that the screen separates when it is dropped but I told him that this device, like my previous one, has never taken a fall or hit of any kind. I baby my Surface.

The tech said that they were ordered by MS HQ to send ALL Pro's and Pro 2's back in because the Pro 3 is now out and that they had no stock on hand to replace my Surface Pro with. No Bueno!

He did give me a number to call to their tech support team to see if anything could be done. He said that if he had had and Pro 2's in stock that he would swap mine out for one of those but again, they had no stock. So, I sat on the phone with tech support who said that the soonest they could get me a replacement would be in 72 hrs which wasn't really working too well for me since I am a full time student and need my Pro for the various applications that I need to use.After I had been on the phone for 40 minutes, the same tech at the MS Store comes back and says that he may be able to work a deal for me and to hold on.

He comes back 5 mins later with a brand new SP2! Apparently, they still had stock somewhere in the back.

So, I am now the proud owner of a SP2 and am happy that I didn't have to wait 72 hrs to get a new one. Better yet, I walked out without paying a dime for the SP2 as they just swapped it out :)

Now all I need is for my dang Freedom Case to get here...lol.

Note: I will say this, MS phone support was great and VERY helpful. The store staff was also helpful and the manager at the Houston location was great too. Even with the inventory flub, it was a really good experience all around.

spectre51

May 25, 2012
Visit site
So they upgraded you to a SP2? Sweet! Would be okay with mine breaking if I could get upgraded too, but I haven't had any issues.

Jackson1442

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
I just noticed this issue with my SP1.
I called in to their phone support, and they said that all they could do was give me a discounted SP3 bundle for 600 dollars.
Yeah, that's not happening anytime soon :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa