Surround or Focus

brandon261

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm having trouble deciding on which phone is better. My first android was aria and the only problem was the screen for me but I've had a Captivate since it came out and love it so I see focus to be like captivate but with windows mobile. if it was the omnia I would be all over it I love that phones design and the reason I'm switching is because I have wanted a zune phone since iphone came out. Can anyone help me with the differences on these phones? I know one has super amoled and the other had a slide out speaker with kick stand (which I love). I'm just torn between them lol

electricbopeep

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
The Samsung Omnia 7 is my first choice as well. I've bought a lot of non-US unlocked phones over the years but now they're too cost prohibitive and carrier support isn't as simple, so it looks like the Omnia is off my list.

I would recommend the Samsung Focus off the bat because I hate the Surround's design but since you actually like the speakers on the Surround that complicates things.

Screen
As you already pointed out, the Focus is basically the wp7 version of the Captivate. It has the same gorgeous 4" Super AMOLED screen.
The Surround has a 3.8 lcd lcd.
Apparently, wp7's ui means that the smaller screen isn't a substantial drawback.

Design
Mostly a matter of personal preference but here are some differences:
The Focus actually varies from the Captivate quite a bit design-wise. I personally prefer the Captivate's overall design. The Focus has a "lip" (don't know how else to phrase it) on the front and a curved top and bottom, compared to the angular design of the Captivate and Omnia.
34195352_BTN_540x405.JPG
The back of the Focus has a subtle pinstripe print and a slight curvature. I'm afraid that the slick plastic of the Focus would be more prone to slipping out my hand than the back of the Captivate or HTC Surround.

The Focus is also the thinnest windows phone, while the surround has extra thickness and heft. partly due to the slide-out speaker.

The Focus's micro usb jack is located on the top and is protected by a sliding door; the Surround's is on the bottom and is exposed.

Build Quality
The Focus is plastic with chrome-like accents on the sides.

The Surround has a metal frame and a soft touch back.

The general consensus is that the Surround feels like a solid, premium phone and has a slight edge over the Focus in quality.

Camera
Both have 5 megapixel cameras with 720p "hd" recording; the focus has regular flash(?), while the surround has led flash. The focus has more camera controls (contrast, saturation, and metering) than the Surround.

Based on the reviews I've read, the Focus's camera is better than the Surround's for stills and video.

Samsung Focus Cnet photo sample
34195352_SS1_RAW_440x330.jpg

Surround Cnet photo sample
34195352_SS1_RAW_440x330.jpg

Mobile Burn Surround HD Video Sample
Samsung Focus HD Sample Wp7 does 24 frames per second

Speaker
The Focus has a traditional speakerphone. According to Cnet:
Though not as loud [as the earpiece], the speakerphone provided enough volume that we could carry on conversations in a noisier environment. The sound quality was slightly hollow on our end, and callers said there was a bit of an echo on their side but nothing that prevented us from carrying on with the conversation.

The Surround has a slide-out speaker. According to Cnet:
The speakers actually offer surround sound via Dolby Mobile and SRS WOW HD and to activate it, you just press the small button on the left-hand side of the speaker.
There's a noticeable difference when you do this, as the audio sounds richer and fuller. However, the overall sound quality didn't really knock our socks off. It's certainly better than most, but songs still sounded somewhat tinny. Also, during a speakerphone call, the volume, even at its highest level, was too low to have a conversation in a slightly noisier environment. For being the phone's highlighted feature, it's certainly not the selling point for the phone. We already felt like the speakers were bit of a superfluous item that would only appeal to a limited number of people, but now even more so.

Apps
The Focus comes with a "Now" app. It includes weather, news, and stocks. There is also a Samsung Zone in the maretplace that offers "network profile", "3" and "photo sharing". Haven't seen any additional info on these three.

The Surround comes with the HTC hub, which features a Sense-like clock-and-weather screen, along with other simple apps - Converter, Photo Enhancer, Sound Enhancer, Stock Ticker, Notes. There are some videos of these apps on YouTube.

Storage
The Focus has 8 gb storage on-board. Storage can be expanded up to 40 gb total, via a class 6 micro sd.

The Surround has 16 gb storage on-board. Not expandable.

Battery Life
The Surround fares much better than the Focus in everything except 3g talk time, according to AnandTech. Actually, the Focus's battery life is quite poor. There's always the option of carrying an additional battery or using an extended one.

I *think* that covers everything. Both phones have their strengths so it's really a matter of your needs and taste. I would definitely encourage to get hands on with both phones in person. You can even try both out for a while within the 30 day exchange period.

Here are some more reviews:
ZDNet comparison

Focus
Cnet
Anandtech
Mobile Burn
Engadget
Phone Scoop

Surround
Anandtech
Mobile Burn
Engadget
Phone Scoop

There are also several in-depth review videos on YouTube.

Last edited:

James Kara

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Yeah Upcoming AT&T Phones really su*k. They have nothing interesting on the bench. Though I prefer HTC Surround - it's more innovative with good hardware. But I think, there is another option from AT&T - LG Quantum. The twist here is the DLNA functionality for wireless multimedia sharing on enabled devices :)

brandon261

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the help. I looked at specs between the three phones and the fact of the battery life might be the deciding factor. I haven't looked at the LG much at all after I had seen the 3.5 inch screen lol I can live with 3.8 but I just like my bigger screen more. I'm stuck on AT&T until our contract is out but if I wasn't we still don't have T-mobile around this area and that really sucks! I would kill to have a HD7 or Dell's phone...

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
If it was me, I'd go with the Focus. The speaker might be innovative, but hardly useful for how I use a phone. I'd take the better screen and camera over the better sound.

electricbopeep

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the help. I looked at specs between the three phones and the fact of the battery life might be the deciding factor. I haven't looked at the LG much at all after I had seen the 3.5 inch screen lol I can live with 3.8 but I just like my bigger screen more. I'm stuck on AT&T until our contract is out but if I wasn't we still don't have T-mobile around this area and that really sucks! I would kill to have a HD7 or Dell's phone...
I wonder how comparable the batter life is between the Focus and Captivate? I mean, if the Focus's battery is pretty much the same and the Captivate's battery performance hasn't hindered you, maybe it's less of an issue?

My contract with ATT has been up for a few months now. I love the design of the Venue Pro but I don't know if I want to switch to TMobile. I was really underwhelmed by ATT's wp7 offerings but the Focus has grown on me. I love that the Venue has gorilla glass but I'm hesitant about the extra thickness and usefulness of the keyboard. I'm usually in love with HTC products but the HD7 (along with the rest of their wp7 phones) just isn't doing it for me. Decisions, decisions...

brandon261

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
I wonder how comparable the batter life is between the Focus and Captivate? I mean, if the Focus's battery is pretty much the same and the Captivate's battery performance hasn't hindered you, maybe it's less of an issue?

My contract with ATT has been up for a few months now. I love the design of the Venue Pro but I don't know if I want to switch to TMobile. I was really underwhelmed by ATT's wp7 offerings but the Focus has grown on me. I love that the Venue has gorilla glass but I'm hesitant about the extra thickness and usefulness of the keyboard. I'm usually in love with HTC products but the HD7 (along with the rest of their wp7 phones) just isn't doing it for me. Decisions, decisions...
the battery on my captivate with wifi on can last two days but only while I'm in my area since I'm in the edge but if I go into town I get 3g and it just kills battery life. I could live with the venues thickness I love the design and that keyboards is unique in the type of phone they produced.

action_efn_jackson

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
I just got back from the ATT store for the umpteenth time in the last few weeks. I now have this to say about the LCD and OLED. If you are where you can compare both devices side by side go to settings and set both devices to the brightest for each screen. Goto the tiles screen. How much of a difference is there? Now go to the office app and tell me which phone has the better brighter screen. I think you will be surprised and agree over all color rendering quality goes to the Surround hands down.

HTC FTW! Getting mine tomorrow.

Last edited:

vailjo91#WP

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
With me working for ATT I get to see all phones. I like the Surround. The reason being is because I do like the speaker on it. With the screen it is all based on opinion. I have had a captivate and to be honest the Super Amoled screen isnt really anything special. I think that the LCD on the Surround is just as clear. For me what I have seen is that my phone runs smoother then the Focus. The 2 display Focuses we have in 2 of the 3 stores I travel between are already having issues with the Camera. The Surrounds we have had no issues. So that is just my opinion but like always it is mainly the user.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lizmizo