Sync-ing with Windows XP?

JLomba1

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
New member to the forums here! I currently have a Verizon XV6900 (HTC Touch) running Windows Mobile 6.1. My work laptop is running Windows XP and I use ActiveSync 4.5 to sync my Outlook Contacts and Calendar to the phone. I'm considering upgrading to a Nokia Lumina 928 (or 929) and I would like to be able to have the same kind of sync-ing functionality - just my Outlook Contacts and Calendar. I have no desire to sync Mail. Is this possible? My company doesn't support the Windows phone OS, so there's no company app for connecting that way. I appreciate your help!

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
The way windows 8 works with desktop outlook: You have a MS outlook.com account as the setup on the phone, it syncs to your outlook.com account.. Outlook.com has your contacts, email for that account and a calendar.
With a hotmail connector on the PC outlook it will sync with your outlook.com email, contacts and calendar.
You can turn off email sync on the phone but not contacts or the calendar.
With your contacts already on a MS account just setup your new phone with that account and all of your outlook.com stuff will sync to the phone.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
This won't necessarily help you with your question, but consider it a bit of friendly advice. I don't know if you are in a position of being able to make a difference in your company, but something to consider is that Windows XP is an operating system that is more than 12 years old, and support will end on April 8, 2014. On April 9, Windows XP becomes a playground for people who wish to exploit remaining vulnerabilities, because Microsoft will no longer patch new ones that are discovered. It is in EVERYONE's best interest to upgrade to a newer OS than XP.

I heard someone on a podcast tell a story one day. He was a consultant, and was asked to do a job at a company, and that company was still running Windows 2000. A year later that company was no longer in business. He said, "I'm not saying that they went out of business because they were running Windows 2000, but the fact that they were running Windows 2000 is a good sign that the people making decisions weren't making the best decisions."

Good advice: Get your company to upgrade. Time is running out.

JLomba1

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
TMoore - Thanks! This looks like a good way to sync. I was afraid that the answer would have been "no possible".

JLomba1

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Rich - I imagine that an update will be forced on my laptop by then. IT supports XP, Vista, and I've heard that some have Windows 7. They are slow on the uptake of new operating systems, but I don't think they'd allow anyone to keep using an unsupported one.

MiscUser

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
New member to the forums here! I currently have a Verizon XV6900 (HTC Touch) running Windows Mobile 6.1. My work laptop is running Windows XP and I use ActiveSync 4.5 to sync my Outlook Contacts and Calendar to the phone. I'm considering upgrading to a Nokia Lumina 928 (or 929) and I would like to be able to have the same kind of sync-ing functionality - just my Outlook Contacts and Calendar. I have no desire to sync Mail. Is this possible? My company doesn't support the Windows phone OS, so there's no company app for connecting that way. I appreciate your help!

Hi JLomba1,

The reason people are not able to sync with Hotmail via Outlook is because Microsoft has shut down syncing operations with PC's using Windows XP.

They are dong it to force people to buy a newer version of Microsoft Windows.

In the case of people having a PC that is to old to use a newer version of Microsoft Windows, which is almost all of the PC's that came with XP, those people will have to buy a new computer.

I heard Microsoft is getting a kickback of $$$$$$$$$$ for forcing people to buy new computers..... (This part is just a rumor so far)

I think it's about time someone get an attorney and start a "Class Action Lawsuit", that attorney would make in the millions of $$$$$$$$.

I use Desktop PC's and Laptops that have Vista and XP.

My PCs and Laptops that have XP work perfectly and I am not throwing them away because of Microsoft's ignorance....

Cheers,

Travis

MiscUser

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
The way windows 8 works with desktop outlook: You have a MS outlook.com account as the setup on the phone, it syncs to your outlook.com account.. Outlook.com has your contacts, email for that account and a calendar.
With a hotmail connector on the PC outlook it will sync with your outlook.com email, contacts and calendar.
You can turn off email sync on the phone but not contacts or the calendar.
With your contacts already on a MS account just setup your new phone with that account and all of your outlook.com stuff will sync to the phone.

Hi T Moore,

The reason people are not able to sync with Hotmail via Outlook is because Microsoft has shut down syncing operations with PC's using Windows XP.

In the case of people having a PC that is to old to use a newer version of Microsoft Windows, which is almost all of the PC's that came with XP, those people will have to buy a new computer.

I heard Microsoft is getting a kickback of $$$$$$$$$$ for forcing people to buy new computers..... (This part is just a rumor so far)

I think it's about time someone get an attorney and start a "Class Action Lawsuit", that attorney would make in the millions of $$$$$$$$.

My PCs and Laptops that have XP work perfectly and I am not throwing them away because of Microsoft's ignorance....

Cheers,

Travis

MiscUser

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
This won't necessarily help you with your question, but consider it a bit of friendly advice. I don't know if you are in a position of being able to make a difference in your company, but something to consider is that Windows XP is an operating system that is more than 12 years old, and support will end on April 8, 2014. On April 9, Windows XP becomes a playground for people who wish to exploit remaining vulnerabilities, because Microsoft will no longer patch new ones that are discovered. It is in EVERYONE's best interest to upgrade to a newer OS than XP.

I heard someone on a podcast tell a story one day. He was a consultant, and was asked to do a job at a company, and that company was still running Windows 2000. A year later that company was no longer in business. He said, "I'm not saying that they went out of business because they were running Windows 2000, but the fact that they were running Windows 2000 is a good sign that the people making decisions weren't making the best decisions."

Good advice: Get your company to upgrade. Time is running out.

Hi hopmedic,

Cheers,

Travis

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa