Sync text messages in W10M?

anon(8648115)

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,

One thing I enjoyed about 8.1 was that it would recover my text messages from since the dawn of time that I owned a windows phone, and if it didn't recover them all (even with 'Any Time' selected in the messaging settings) I could simply go into accounts and manually force my MS account to sync. After a few times, all messages would appear.

I can't seem to find a way to do that here, and one thing that I hate is that Messaging+Skype does not seem to like recovering text messages. Every time I update to the insider preview (now on .122) it will absolutely refuse to load any messages, even after days of using it. So, is there a way to force-sync the messages in 10 Mobile? Or is this another one of MS's oversights?

Thanks!

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
more like when are we going to get the messages sync on pc?

the "messaging app" on windows 10 doesn't even have a "settings" menu.

I would love to see my sms on my pc... sigh

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

Settings are all in one place, the settings menu, use the search on top.
Messages ARE sync and stored on pc: open Messages app and start searching by name in the lens box (not browsin by name)

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Although you can't actually open the SMS messages, although hopefully this will come in a later update. Messages send via Skype are able to be read.

Open Messages on pc and type a text in search box..... ;) There's a primitive app still, ma sms are there

anon(8648115)

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Yes. I always have 'anytime' selected, and it doesn't pull my previous messages down at all. I always have a blank app even after days. This could be remedied if I could manually force it to sync and populate (like in 8.1) but that doesn't seem to be the case. Moreover, any messages I supposedly backup on W10 do not show up in 8.1 either.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes. I always have 'anytime' selected, and it doesn't pull my previous messages down at all. I always have a blank app even after days. This could be remedied if I could manually force it to sync and populate (like in 8.1) but that doesn't seem to be the case. Moreover, any messages I supposedly backup on W10 do not show up in 8.1 either.

If you go to the people app, settings, then hold your account name and select "Sync". This will pull them down...

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
The good news is this was exactly what I was looking for; the bad news is that manually syncing is not retrieving my messages. Damnit.

It takes a couple of tries for me as well. I've done it several times in a row and nothing, then on the next try messages would start appearing. I have the 0x80070490 error and I think it is related to messages clogged up on my account. Haven't gotten it resolved yet, but I have to "Sync" a lot of times, more than I can count...

anon(8648115)

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
It takes a couple of tries for me as well. I've done it several times in a row and nothing, then on the next try messages would start appearing. I have the 0x80070490 error and I think it is related to messages clogged up on my account. Haven't gotten it resolved yet, but I have to "Sync" a lot of times, more than I can count...

So just keep pressing 'sync' until something notable happens then, no matter how long it takes?

drg

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
So just keep pressing 'sync' until something notable happens then, no matter how long it takes?

Did you get the messages to sync eventually? I've installed win10 on a few phones, always hard reset and the messages always come down. Just got a 640 and upgraded it to the .164 production build and the messages haven't synced. Have done a hard reset twice and tried different sync settings (always, last month etc) and still nothing. And have pressed the synchronize option a heap of times and still nothing. It's been a few days now and I have a feeling they won't ever download. frustration.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Did you get the messages to sync eventually? I've installed win10 on a few phones, always hard reset and the messages always come down. Just got a 640 and upgraded it to the .164 production build and the messages haven't synced. Have done a hard reset twice and tried different sync settings (always, last month etc) and still nothing. And have pressed the synchronize option a heap of times and still nothing. It's been a few days now and I have a feeling they won't ever download. frustration.

Temporary server iussue, same as last 2015 month, after the first massive insider upgrade. From them thet returned all back. Better not to set more than 1 month if you got thousand sms

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Same issue here. I reset my wife's 640...was having major issues and nothing. We gave up due to 640 problems and got the alcatel fierce last night...all went great but no sms downloaded.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss