The 1020 with external lenses - DIY

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
An example of the macro shots at native res;
zoom.jpg

The only telephoto lens I have used it with is an Optomax 200mm M42 lens, which I have to use with a DOF adapter. The downside being it is a Manual Focus lens and you cannot use the AF on the 1020, so fast moving subjects are challenging unless you have lots of light and are good with the focus.

Taken from about 500 metres away;
Dunstable Downs-2 by Chris Leach, on Flickr
Dunstable Downs-1 by Chris Leach, on Flickr

From about 150 metres away;
BeastGrip Mini-13 by Chris Leach, on Flickr
WP_20140330_13_34_21_Raw__highres by Chris Leach, on Flickr

The problem with that lens is as the focal distance is so far away even the smallest twitch can be too much for the 1020's OIS to correct. A 100mm lens may be the best option.

Here are examples using a Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 50mm M42 Lens;

About 5 metres away
DOF V4-2 by Chris Leach, on Flickr
DOF V4-3 by Chris Leach, on Flickr

Hope these help.

Francisco Amestoy

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
I glued a 62 mm adapter ring and aligned it to be centered with the camera lens. so no distortion for me ;)

Excuse me, can you show a pic of the phone with the ring?

I think you achieved the best looking photos of the whole thread, making me think that they are not truly 1020 pics (sorry), so would you be so kind to prove me wrong?

If you indeed achieved that quality with a DIY Project, I would definitely try to do it myself!

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Excuse me, can you show a pic of the phone with the ring?

I think you achieved the best looking photos of the whole thread, making me think that they are not truly 1020 pics (sorry), so would you be so kind to prove me wrong?

If you indeed achieved that quality with a DIY Project, I would definitely try to do it myself!

you can check out the EXIF of my photos, but please don't call me a liar

Last edited:

tsukiyo92

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
I'm a beginner in photography using 1020 only(without any accessory), I found something insufficient such as unable to capture far image, unable to change aperture(DoF) and unable to do macro shot. So now I'm looking at ability to use external lens.
My first wish is to able to shot with zooming capability, is there any setup enable to do so ? (simple and budget, good quality but less component)

MilkyWay,
What a nice and simple to achieve wonderful effect, but I'm wondering how it does with telescopic zoom lens.
Just a confirmation, you only use macro Lens with conversion adapter ring only? (no need for DoF adapter)

crasstoe,
If using only 50/100mm lens on Lumia 1020 without DoF adapter, will it have any problem? (I'm not good with light physic)

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm a beginner in photography using 1020 only(without any accessory), I found something insufficient such as unable to capture far image, unable to change aperture(DoF) and unable to do macro shot. So now I'm looking at ability to use external lens.
My first wish is to able to shot with zooming capability, is there any setup enable to do so ? (simple and budget, good quality but less component)

MilkyWay,
What a nice and simple to achieve wonderful effect, but I'm wondering how it does with telescopic zoom lens.
Just a confirmation, you only use macro Lens with conversion adapter ring only? (no need for DoF adapter)

crasstoe,
If using only 50/100mm lens on Lumia 1020 without DoF adapter, will it have any problem? (I'm not good with light physic)

yes, I only use a macro lens (and an ND filter). Sorry I can't tell you about compatibility with telescopic lenses

tsukiyo92

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
MilkyWay,
I did a measurement on Lumia 1020 back and nilkin's cover.
1020 body need slightly less than 60mm ring to center, but using nilkin's cover need more than 62mm to center.

You used sugru to attach it, could you put in detail how to do so? (alot people's attachment pop out due to flexing.
To be specific, what did mod you do on the step down ring(on 62mm side assume) ? Any precaution?
I haven't use/see sugru before, I'm going to order some today. How should I apply to the ring and cover? (elongate it and around circumference I assume)

Did you use any spacer for your macro lens? I'm going try using zoom lens (which more complicated), do you foresee any compatibility problem ? Other than centering.

Could you post the photo of your cover with the ring attached? Is it within the case's edge or exceeded?

tsukiyo92

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
I could get my hand on a Canon FDn 75-200mm f4.5 (old FD mount, manual focus)

As I have little knowledge on light physics, anyone can point out how I should mount it on Lumia 1020? (distance from phone lens, etc)
FD mount seems to have FFD of 42mm.

MilkyWay,
How do you attach the ring with sugru?

I'm interested to make 2 photo shoot case, 'filter/macro' and 'zoom' version. Since I have nilkin casing and camera grip~

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
WP_20160110_13_25_35_Pro.jpg

I know it's not very "pretty", but it does the job ;)
I did not mod anything at all. I put the Sugru on the 62mm ring and glued it on the camera grip (very important: off center, so that the middle of the ring is exactly above the lens).

tsukiyo92

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, need to center the lens with phone lens. I think the best effect is using black case/grip. My camera grip is black and nilkin case is white, I brought sugru in black colour too. (to reduce internal reflection)

Aesthetically black would be better I think, does your macro shot need long exposure time ? Did you try different distance between macro lens and phone lens? (to change focus/depth of field)

JULIAN ROSERO

Jan 28, 2016
Visit site
I bought a Nokia Lumia 1020 without any accessories but I been seeing that I can use external Lents for my camera; could you please let me know if it is possible and how much will cost it? Do you have photos of the external lents?

I bought the phone trough a friend of mine who came to Ecuador and the external battery is out of order (do not work). Could you find the price for this device for me?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zahrajooon1254