The 1520 butchered my concert video recordings

themadpoet1

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I recorded a whole concert last night and while the audio quality was amazing, all the videos lag and skip throughout, almost like there's missing frames here in there . Does anyone know why the video would lag and skip like that? I'm so ticked off about it that I'm thinking of returning this thing.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Same thing happened to me the other night at my son's Christmas program. The video skipped every 5 seconds. I am using an SD card, so maybe that's it. Disappointing. 16 GB is absurd.

5150 Joker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Do you guys know which codec Nokia uses for recording and whether its lossless or not? Keep in mind your SD cards are topping out at 30 MB/s which probably doesn't cut it for lossless video.

Editguy1900

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Do you guys know which codec Nokia uses for recording and whether its lossless or not? Keep in mind your SD cards are topping out at 30 MB/s which probably doesn't cut it for lossless video.

No, it's not lossless. Professional video cameras don't even use lossless codecs. It would use too much memory.

cporta

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem. I tried it on the SD card and on internal memory. It slips on both. I have a class 10 card.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site

30MB/s (assuming you really mean megabytes) is 240Mbits/s. That is *plenty* for mobile video, even if the file system imposes huge overheads. HD video on TV is max about 20Mb/s, and typically much less.
Is 30MB/s really the 'write' speed, which is what is relevant here?

5150 Joker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
30MB/s (assuming you really mean megabytes) is 240Mbits/s. That is *plenty* for mobile video, even if the file system imposes huge overheads. HD video on TV is max about 20Mb/s, and typically much less.
Is 30MB/s really the 'write' speed, which is what is relevant here?

1080P with a compressed codec maybe but I asked about lossless which uses far more. Regardless if it's happening with internal storage then the problem might be something else.

Sent from my GT-I9100

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
1080P with a compressed codec maybe but I asked about lossless which uses far more. Regardless if it's happening with internal storage then the problem might be something else.

Sent from my GT-I9100

As someone else said, uncompressed video is not widely used. Certainly, no mobile phone does lossless video recording.
Full HD video at 25 frames per second and 4:2:0 colour is around 78MB/s = 624Mb/s without compression.

Last edited:

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I recorded a whole concert last night and while the audio quality was amazing, all the videos lag and skip throughout, almost like there's missing frames here in there . Does anyone know why the video would lag and skip like that? I'm so ticked off about it that I'm thinking of returning this thing.

try again in airplane mode.

poor cell service has been the only thing I've found tip cause problems in video so far.

cporta

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I just noticed something. I tried recording video on the standard camera and it recorded perfectly to the SD card. It's possible it's a problem with the Nokia camera.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I've recorded other videos that were fine. I'm wondering if high contrast situations, such as low light surroundings with bright light on the subject, is causing the problem?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12