The reason why having a preference for MS' products can be a pain in the ***

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I own a iMAC 2011. I use it on a daily basis. I also own a windows 7 Lenovo upgraded to 8.1, a surface pro 128gig, a shared iPad and finally a Lumia 920.

I really do like OS X, I really like windows 7 and Windows 8. I actually prefer Windows 7 to W8. I prefer Windows 7 to OS X. What I like about my surface thou is the metro apps how they are full screen, I like the Surface Pro a lot. I wish that they brought the taskbar to windows 8 and merged the desktop and metro. I am not blindly loyal to any platform. I consider my iMac purchase a good one. I use whatever fits my needs and whatever I find to be the best. Windows 8 in my opinion is much superior to OS X, but OS X is still a great operating system.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
If we're talking about OS X vs Windows and Apple users stubborness, I've got another one for you:
I don't know what it's like in other countries, but in the Netherlands there's a VERY persisent "rumor" that says "Once you go Mac, you never go back". I have the feeling that no one actually said that sentence, but people just like to throw it in when you're discussing operation systems. Until recently, I couldn't disagree with it because I'd never worked on a Mac for a long time before, but during my internship I used a Mac for 8 ours per day, 4 days a week, 6 months long. Well, now I can tell people that once you go Mac, you can't wait to go back. At least in my case. Sure, I got things done, and it felt somewhat safer and "firmer" than Windows, but gosh, it felt soooo slow... viscous might be the best word to describe it. It felt like I was riding a (very safe) tricycle at 5 km/h while I could have been riding a 120 km/h motorcycle at home.

Was it slow due to hardware/software issues or just not being entirely familiar with or use to using it?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what it's like in other countries, but in the Netherlands there's a VERY persisent "rumor" that says "Once you go Mac, you never go back".

I'm just curious; does the quote rhyme in Dutch like it does in English? :wink:

Adretheon

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Ah the face palm moments when people tell you Apple has 500,000 apps and WP doesn't, therefor it is not as good. This is by far one of the biggest "ah ha!" moments people try and get me with. It makes me really quite sad that they don't understand quality over quantity.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Ah the face palm moments when people tell you Apple has 500,000 apps and WP doesn't, therefor it is not as good. This is by far one of the biggest "ah ha!" moments people try and get me with. It makes me really quite sad that they don't understand quality over quantity.

Many of the official apps are either not available (for example Instagram) or have a much worse quality than on Android or iOS (for example Spotify). That's just a fact. Of course there are usually very good third party apps available, but those are on one hand third party apps, and on the other hand come usually with either cost or commercials.

sjgore

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Completely agree with the OP and most other posts in this thread.

I've already ditched Android for WP8 on a Lumia 1020, I already run Windows 8.1 on my Alienware m17x r3, and very soon I'll have a 256GB Surface Pro 2 running Windows 8.1. I've also moved my entire Google account over to a Microsoft Account; contacts, calendar, pictures, emails, cloud storage, the lot.

People's reaction to this (including my wife's) is that I must be going through some sort of personal crisis or breakdown to be aligning myself with Microsoft so closely. It's difficult enough to explain to fellow techy people at work, nevermind non-techy family, why I'm doing it. After all, Microsoft isn't cool according to the masses.

IMHO: Apple is uninteresting, lacking innovation (especially the last year or two), is for people who don't know any better, and has never interested me. Android is starting to stagnate, and Google's profit-based motives are becoming clearer and more intrusive by the day. Whereas Microsoft seems to be putting some real effort into aligning and updating all their products and services and producing something new, fresh, and interesting.

I just want to emphasise the "IMHO" at the start of the previous paragraph, before anybody starts! :)

Steve.

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Liking MS products can be a pain because its viewed like apple products back in the early 2000's, that if you have one then you must be a ******...
My favorite thing that happens where I work is that if people come up to me and ask me if I like the iPhone or iPad and I say yes, they are great products, people automatically assume that I'm an apple ****** even though to this day, I have never owned an apple product. Its not that there's anything wrong with them, its just that I prefer windows, I mean I bought my mom and iPad mini because she uses itunes and its a dead simple product to use that she never has to call me up and ask how to use it.

What I've come to learn about electronics is that a lot of people treat them like a religion, that you can only like windows, mac, Linux, Google, etc, that you can't like all of them for what they do...I mean there is no best product, there is a best product that suits YOUR needs, but your needs are not everybody's needs and many people don't get that, the truth is there are pros and cons to every platform out there. I just love technology, (which is also why I'm an electrical engineering major in college), and I like pretty much everything or I am at least open minded and willing to try everything, call me a technology agnostic...

That being said, I get nothing but tons of compliments on my surface RT, people routinely come up to me and say "ooh is that a surface?". People usually don't say that about a Samsung galaxy tab or an ipad because they're so ubiquitous, its almost like a surface is "rare and exotic" lol...

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

Yes, it's interesting how the tables have turned. While I agree with the point that Apple's App Store number is a bit overrated (how many fart apps do I need?), you can generally find whatever suits your fancy on iOS. Android isn't far behind either, especially with major apps. Windows Phone? Not so much.

Yes, it is improving, and yes, many tech blogs make way too big a deal out of it (has anyone noticed how most the blogs that complain about lack of apps, like CNET, still haven't made any type of app for reading their website on Windows Phone?), but the fact of the matter is: we need more apps.

Great third party alternatives out there, but people want first party apps, and we need more apps in general. Especially for irreplaceable services like banking.

It's improving, but we need more results, and fast.

AaHaa

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Was it slow due to hardware/software issues or just not being entirely familiar with or use to using it?
It was due to a lot of very little things that made it feel so sluggish. When I stored a file on the desktop, I couldn't just go to the desktop like on Windows, they told me I had to open Finder, go to the desktop, and open the file. There also was a ridiculous amount of drag-and-dropping, where in Windows, I'd just use the right mouse button. Ah and that's another one, I didn't have a right mouse button, so I had to use the Wacom all the time to be a bit productive. Oh and it was a HUGE Mac, like 30", and for some reason the mouse sensitivity was extremely low, so I spent all 8 hours of my day dragging the mouse from one corner to the other. I could'nt change it because someone else worked on that Mac as well, and he liked the mouse that way...

I'm just curious; does the quote rhyme in Dutch like it does in English? :wink:
No, it doesn't. I actually figured out it rhymed when I translated it to English :p The one-on-one translation would be something like "Once you use a Mac, you don't ever want to use anything else gain"

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I agree, the good news though is that the windows store on win 8/RT is growing quickly. What needs to happen is MS merging windows RT and wp together and merging the windows stores together, something that they have already been talking about. Then if you can code an app that works on windows 8/RT, windows phone, and Xbox One, then you just gave app developers more reasons to make apps for the platform seeing as 1 metro app can work on 4 (3-ish) different platforms. What I don't understand are the companies that seem like they are trying to actively avoid windows, like instagram, they say its been coming forever, so explain to me how something like facebook has an app that gets regularly updated and instagram does not. Unless I'm wrong and they did release an app of course.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It makes me really quite sad that they don't understand quality over quantity.

The problem is that WP is lacking in both. I assume from what you wrote that you believe that what WP lacks in quantity it makes up in quality. If that's the case, then I don't agree. For the most part, official apps that are in WP are not as good as their iOS or Android counterparts. Other apps that aren't official, such as Facebook, are seriously lacking in quality. A few WP apps are as good or better, such as most of Microsoft product apps, but as a whole the quality is lower.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I agree, the good news though is that the windows store on win 8/RT is growing quickly. What needs to happen is MS merging windows RT and wp together and merging the windows stores together, something that they have already been talking about. Then if you can code an app that works on windows 8/RT, windows phone, and Xbox One, then you just gave app developers more reasons to make apps for the platform seeing as 1 metro app can work on 4 (3-ish) different platforms. What I don't understand are the companies that seem like they are trying to actively avoid windows, like instagram, they say its been coming forever, so explain to me how something like facebook has an app that gets regularly updated and instagram does not. Unless I'm wrong and they did release an app of course.

On Facebook, it's possibly because MS owns a good chunk of FB stock?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Is the promised Instagram app coming from Instagram, or Microsoft? WP's Facebook app is actually from Microsoft, not from Facebook. Which means technically it's not an official, or 1st party, app.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
My Surface RT is great. I can watch a live stream and have conversation on facebook without having to jump between both apps. My Surface is more convenient than the iPad, but it doesn't have the shiny fruit on the back, therefore its a lesser tablet.

I guess that's a handy feature when you're watching programmes that you don't like.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I guess that's a handy feature when you're watching programmes that you don't like.

people can type and watch something else at the same time...it doesn't necessarily imply a person needs to focus on one thing at a time. Multitasking is a huge feature, especially for a productivity device.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think this was true about 6 years ago but I feel that people have toned down their shunning of Microsoft since then. They still aren't viewed like the "God" that Apple has become but they're not truly hated either

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I think this was true about 6 years ago but I feel that people have toned down their shunning of Microsoft since then. They still aren't viewed like the "God" that Apple has become but they're not truly hated either

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

Where do you live? No, honestly, because I live on the east coast, and around here, most people loath Microsoft. Most people give me a freaky look when I say Windows Phone ("Windows on your phone?! Why would you want that?!"), oh, and don't get me started on how much people hate Windows 8. Most here have Windows 7 and like it, but they also all look to Apple as some mysterious and desirable creature. Not necessarily a god, but maybe like a stereotypical teenage girl at a Justin Bieber or One Direction concert.

I would say it's better than before, but Microsoft still has a pretty bad rep here, not even neutral. Google and Apple are the "cool" companies, in these parts. :/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss