The Surface Duo is dead — Microsoft pulls plug on $1,500 Surface Duo 2 after just one Android OS upgrade

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
The conclusion that we shouldn't trust another MS phone is EXACTLY why Microsoft's abandoning products with such abandon was a strategic mistake. When a company supports its products, customers trust a new entrant. They buy it. This reduces the risk and therefore cost of product development and go-to-market plan. Conversely, as Microsoft has done here, they have made it so users won't trust a new product. This makes launching ANYTHING new very expensive for Microsoft.

I hope this is a lesson for everyone on why supporting a product and giving it every fighting chance at success, erring on the side of supporting for too long over too little, is the right move. Even if it loses money on that product, it tells your customers and the market to trust you for the next one. That can save money in the long run by reducing launch costs in the future.

And yet, I confess, if Microsoft makes a new phone one day, I don't know that I'll ignore it. I did get good years' usage out of my Windows Phones and Duos before MS flatlined them. They were my favorite devices. If the form factor were interesting, I think I would give MS a shot. I also know that I'm in the minority on this per the damage they did to themselves in the market as noted above.

Reactions: K Shan

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BadgerBee