The Surface Duo is dead — Microsoft pulls plug on $1,500 Surface Duo 2 after just one Android OS upgrade

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
The conclusion that we shouldn't trust another MS phone is EXACTLY why Microsoft's abandoning products with such abandon was a strategic mistake. When a company supports its products, customers trust a new entrant. They buy it. This reduces the risk and therefore cost of product development and go-to-market plan. Conversely, as Microsoft has done here, they have made it so users won't trust a new product. This makes launching ANYTHING new very expensive for Microsoft.

I hope this is a lesson for everyone on why supporting a product and giving it every fighting chance at success, erring on the side of supporting for too long over too little, is the right move. Even if it loses money on that product, it tells your customers and the market to trust you for the next one. That can save money in the long run by reducing launch costs in the future.

And yet, I confess, if Microsoft makes a new phone one day, I don't know that I'll ignore it. I did get good years' usage out of my Windows Phones and Duos before MS flatlined them. They were my favorite devices. If the form factor were interesting, I think I would give MS a shot. I also know that I'm in the minority on this per the damage they did to themselves in the market as noted above.

Reactions: K Shan

Papictu

Apr 5, 2024
Visit site
Microsoft's incompetence in the consumer markets is unrivaled, the device itself was competitive, but the absurd price and poor marketing management make failure inevitable, they end up doing what they always do, refocusing the product to businesses and abandoning their users, further fueling the image of distrust in their products.

It pains me for brands like Xbox, which have a lot of potential to succeed but end up falling because of the infinite incompetence that this company seems to demonstrate managing any product that is not intended for businesses.

Reactions: Arun Topez

Arun Topez

Aug 19, 2023
Visit site
Ironically, they patented a new foldable mobile device recently on October 1st that looks similar to Duo.
What's the point though? Unless they commit to promise a longer support cycle like the other major players are doing and actually push for consumers and developer support, then there's zero reason to support Microsoft's mobile devices anymore, especially at this price point because it will just be a repeat of the same story over and over again.

DaveDansey

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Still got my Lumia 1020 - loved that phone.

I don't jump on new things early, so was holding out for a Duo 3 (despite being gutted that it was to run Android). Of course that never happened.

If they do try again in the phone space, 3rd time lucky right!?

(maybe 4th time, if I include Windows mobile running on an XDA2i PDA - which I used for years as my only phone!).

Reactions: negative1ne

thearchbishop

Oct 9, 2024
Visit site
This all makes sense. Microsoft is most likely getting ready to launch Windows 12 based Surface Phone in 2025, and they no longer want to waste any resources on Android.

negative1ne

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
so what, if it didn't work out.

they thought there was a demand, since they made the surface duo,
which i 've been using for the last 2 years. obviously, people wanted another one.

maybe not enough.

but i will always stick with windows phone.
the surface duo supports 5g, and thats not going away any time some.

so i'll buy a duo 2 used, and keep it for future use.

i stuck with windows phone 7.5 for 5 years, windows phone 8-10 for 2 years,
and now the surface duo.

later
|| || || | | |
ne gative 1

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I've been burned too many times to even be angry or resentful any longer.... Windows phone, band, zune.

The abandonment of Zune was inconvenient, giving up on band was upsetting, but walking away from WP was just tragic.

Anyway, I'm hoping to get another 2-3 years out of my Duo 2, and will see what's available then.

Who knows, maybe Microsoft will bring out an AI driven phone that will have people queuing round the corner :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thearchbishop