The Tablet That Can Replace Your Tablet

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
So...can the Surface Pro 3 also replace your 7-8 inch tablet? That is the question.

Some of us like to have multiple gadgets. Me, I am wanting to downsize and just have as few as possible. I have a Dell Venue Pro 8 that is excellent for consumption and the updated stylus firmware has made it BETTER (but nowhere near the Surface Pro line) for note taking.

I have a core i5 256GB model on pre-order and I am considering returning my Venue Pro 8 to jump into this "all in one" device.

So, just wondering if anyone who has pre-ordered a SP3 and also has a 7-8" tablet (regardless of OS) was holding onto their smaller tablets. Can this be the "tablet to replace your tablet?"

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
The biggest question there is size vs. expendable cash. Do you have the money sitting around to keep an extra $100 device next to your couch because you NEEEEEED to have a 4", 8" AND 12" device? [I say 4" because most likely everyone has a 4"-5" phone too] I don't think the difference is enough to warrant the redundancy.

Personally, I don't think there is enough difference to warant keeping them all. My current arsonal consists of a 4", 10", 16" and 22" device though. [rounded into classes for simplicity]; [920, Surface RT, Acer V5, Desktop PC]

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm not really interested in small tablets. If I went for something around that size, I think a phablet (yuck, I hate that word) would be my go-to. A 6" phone and a 10-12" tablet/laptop hybrid sounds about right. I just don't see a ton of difference in functionality between a phone and a mini-tablet, so it's a waste in my mind.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
The biggest question there is size vs. expendable cash. Do you have the money sitting around to keep an extra $100 device next to your couch because you NEEEEEED to have a 4", 8" AND 12" device? [I say 4" because most likely everyone has a 4"-5" phone too] I don't think the difference is enough to warrant the redundancy.

Personally, I don't think there is enough difference to warant keeping them all. My current arsonal consists of a 4", 10", 16" and 22" device though. [rounded into classes for simplicity]; [920, Surface RT, Acer V5, Desktop PC]

Well, my workplace is getting the SP3 for me since I am solo IT and on call 24/7, with some calls on vacation. And really, too many gadgets = too many distractions. My Lumia Icon is really my mini tablet. But I guess it also goes what you let control you. There may be times an 8" tablet will fit my needs but no need to try to use all three at all times. Been seriously focusing on downsizing technology and making it simple.

Good reply by the way. I am currently Lumia Icon, Dell Venue 8 Pro, Surface Pro 3 (on the way), Desktop PC for mainly file serving and video editing. Got two NAS's attached to the network for backup/redundancy.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I'm not really interested in small tablets. If I went for something around that size, I think a phablet (yuck, I hate that word) would be my go-to. A 6" phone and a 10-12" tablet/laptop hybrid sounds about right. I just don't see a ton of difference in functionality between a phone and a mini-tablet, so it's a waste in my mind.

My wife sold her 920 and got a 1520 and she is THRILLED with it and rarely touches a PC/Tablet. It is really all she needs.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Well, my workplace is getting the SP3 for me since I am solo IT and on call 24/7, with some calls on vacation. And really, too many gadgets = too many distractions. My Lumia Icon is really my mini tablet. But I guess it also goes what you let control you. There may be times an 8" tablet will fit my needs but no need to try to use all three at all times. Been seriously focusing on downsizing technology and making it simple.

Sounds like you have made up your mind, just need a little extra reassurance, haha. I'd return it. [Although, My opinion might also change if I wasn't in full control over what I could use the company PC for (blocked websites or whatever)...but since you are a solo IT guy, I have a feeling your 'IT Department' won't be cracking down on you, haha]

The 5" to 8" difference would not ever be enough to really drive you to get up to get the tablet. Sure, you MIGHT use it just because you could (and you may even feel you should) but I don't think you'd find yourself yearning for it. Out of convenience you'd find yourself just using your phone for quick reading and getting the 12" SP3 for more heavy consumption.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Sounds like you have made up your mind, just need a little extra reassurance, haha. I'd return it. [Although, My opinion might also change if I wasn't in full control over what I could use the company PC for (blocked websites or whatever)...but since you are a solo IT guy, I have a feeling your 'IT Department' won't be cracking down on you, haha]

The 5" to 8" difference would not ever be enough to really drive you to get up to get the tablet. Sure, you MIGHT use it just because you could (and you may even feel you should) but I don't think you'd find yourself yearning for it. Out of convenience you'd find yourself just using your phone for quick reading and getting the 12" SP3 for more heavy consumption.

I realized if I waffle on a purchase, I usually take it back. Though I think I'll hold on to this

Yeah, I am the IT King...but I also take that responsibility serious and don't take advantage of it. We have an internet monitor that the owner reviews...I put myself on it too.

I love my Icon...great little device. So can't wait to try the SP3. The 3:2 ratio sounds so interesting to me.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I would keep the dell for times when you don't want to have to worry about messing up the surface. Kids, throwing it in the car on a trip. Basically as a beater consumption device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss