Things I found different in WP8.1 (Compared to 8.0 Lumia 920)

Adriaan NL

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
this might be able to work, I really do want to test that. But I strongly think that cortana is hardcoded to understand where she is, and might be a software limitation, as she just would not show up with any settings I do.

Cortana, as the Dutch tech website Tweakers reports after testing Cortana, will show up when you change your region to the USA - regardless of your actual location. You can keep the other regional intact, but your phone has to be set the the USA. I am not so sure how happy I am with this, as when I want to buy something from the store, I have to do it through my carrier i.e. the Dutch carrier, so the store needs to be Dutch again. I wonder, if I return to the Dutch region, if Cortana will be reset and forgets me (and my settings) completely.

--> Source: Windows Phone 8.1: Microsofts nieuwe aanval op iOS en Android - Cortana: tussen Google Now en Siri - Preview - Reviews - Tweakers (yes it's Dutch. But Chrome can translate it).

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Cortana, as the Dutch tech website Tweakers reports after testing Cortana, will show up when you change your region to the USA - regardless of your actual location. You can keep the other regional intact, but your phone has to be set the the USA. I am not so sure how happy I am with this, as when I want to buy something from the store, I have to do it through my carrier i.e. the Dutch carrier, so the store needs to be Dutch again. I wonder, if I return to the Dutch region, if Cortana will be reset and forgets me (and my settings) completely.

--> Source: Windows Phone 8.1: Microsofts nieuwe aanval op iOS en Android - Cortana: tussen Google Now en Siri - Preview - Reviews - Tweakers (yes it's Dutch. But Chrome can translate it).

If that's true, Cortana does get deleted from your phone as soon as you change to local region. But if her notebook and notes are synced to the cloud, I guess they wont be deleted but only appear when you are in Cortana supported region again. Cortana's cloud storage will be synced to your live ID not location.

Adriaan NL

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
If that's true, Cortana does get deleted from your phone as soon as you change to local region. But if her notebook and notes are synced to the cloud, I guess they wont be deleted but only appear when you are in Cortana supported region again. Cortana's cloud storage will be synced to your live ID not location.

Thanks, I forgot about cloud storage! I worried about it, because I do think it's handy to have the possibility to purchase apps from time to time without too much trouble.

Ali El

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site

Ankit Nawlakha

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Can you please check whether in WP8.1 we get the ability to move pics from one album to another?? Or rename an existing album?? Or even adding an album on our WPs..??
And can you see what's the time limit of Live Tile updates??
Will be very helpful.. :)

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I can also confirm that quiet hours disappears from settings when the region is changed, not surprising since it relies on Cortana to function properly.

That's disappointing... I'm sure that if Microsoft put just 15 minutes of effort in, they could easily make it function even when Cortana isn't available. I know Microsoft's support outside the US has been lacking, but that's seriously a new low...

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
That's disappointing... I'm sure that if Microsoft put just 15 minutes of effort in, they could easily make it function even when Cortana isn't available. I know Microsoft's support outside the US has been lacking, but that's seriously a new low...

Well, if you live in the UK or China you'll get Cortana in Q2 this year :wink:

AliNSiddiqui

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
you mean holding the back button like you can do now?

No, hold a link, then open new tab, then press back so that you go back to the first page while the link is still loading.

P.S. I don't actually have a Windows Phone so I could be wrong, in which case, I am sorry, and hope someone corrects me..

Nitesh Tilwani

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm from India, do i have to factory reset my phone to change region to US? If No, will I lose any data while doing so?

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 using Tapatalk

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm from India, do i have to factory reset my phone to change region to US? If No, will I lose any data while doing so?

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 using Tapatalk

Changing your region does *NOT* require a factory reset. A restart? Yes, but no data will be lost when doing this.

Also, while I have not personally tested this, but I've heard that you can leave the region set to wherever you live (I.E: India), but just set the language to English - (United States), and then features that are US Only will still work.

I personally cannot confirm this, but it's worth investigation.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Changing your region does *NOT* require a factory reset. A restart? Yes, but no data will be lost when doing this.

Also, while I have not personally tested this, but I've heard that you can leave the region set to wherever you live (I.E: India), but just set the language to English - (United States), and then features that are US Only will still work.

I personally cannot confirm this, but it's worth investigation.

I'll test that now.

Edit: I can confirm that it doesn't work, the region and speech languages need to be set as US as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaledOlavive