Thinking about getting n 8X

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
How's durability? To be honest its so pretty I don't really want to cover it.
I have mine encased in a slim gel cover. It doesn't add much at all to the overall weight and dimensions, but it does mask how good looking the phone is. A little bit anyway.

I've dropped mine on numerous occasions and the phone looks good as new still. Though that was with the gel cover on. Seems sturdy enough however, and the build quality is fantastic, so I don't think there's much to worry about, unless you plan on using it as a basketball.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
I have had my 8X for 3-4 months. I carry it in my pockets with no case or screen protector and it's in perfect condition. I heard some people had the outer rubber coating come off, but that must have been a bad batch in the manufacturing process. And as far as the edges, they are not bothersome at all. In fact, the phone feels better in the hand than any other phone I have used, except for the Palm Pre. Oh, as far as cases, I got my wife a Body Glove Diamond case and highly recommend it.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I have mine encased in a slim gel cover. It doesn't add much at all to the overall weight and dimensions, but it does mask how good looking the phone is. A little bit anyway.

I've dropped mine on numerous occasions and the phone looks good as new still. Though that was with the gel cover on. Seems sturdy enough however, and the build quality is fantastic, so I don't think there's much to worry about, unless you plan on using it as a basketball.

Mines in s slim gel case too... I Think some cases raise above the screen less than a mm, but just enough so that if you drop it with the case on, the screen never actually touches the ground...which is brilliant. My case fits around the corners and sides beautifully and its actually the preferred case...for some reason I don't like hard cases or otterbox type cases. :)

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
The durability is ok, it can withstand most drops, but its more about what area hits the ground. I shattered the screen on mine pretty easily, and my girlfriend's 8x seems to be pretty weak around the edges of the screen (the colors change of you press down with any force, but that's fixed in a case for some reason). I just picked up a Lumia 928 and can't begin to tell you how much happier I am. Build quality is outstanding, and while I liked the 8x a lot for the 6 months I had it, the Nokia suite of applications add a lot of what I was missing (play to, Nokia music, etc). Only thing I miss is the built in audio amplifier / beats audio (Nokia's Dolby sounds pretty bad when activated).

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Mines in s slim gel case too... I Think some cases raise above the screen less than a mm, but just enough so that if you drop it with the case on, the screen never actually touches the ground...which is brilliant. My case fits around the corners and sides beautifully and its actually the preferred case...for some reason I don't like hard cases or otterbox type cases. :)

I'm the same, I feel hard cases and bulky covers interfere with how the phone looks and feels. Kinda defeats the purpose of having a phone that exhibits great aesthetical qualities :winktongue:

But that's the trade off; do you want practicality for a phone you're very likely to drop with an ugly case, or do you carry it naked to show off to the world but leaving it susceptible to said drops and fall? A terrible dilemma and a true first world problem :grin:

MFmonster

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Out of the devices in our home I love the 8x. The screen and the design is gorgeous! It fits nicely in the hand and it feel like a quality device. If you have a galaxy 3s you will notice a huge difference in look and feel. The sound is super especially with decent headphones and the camera is much better than I thought it would be. The pics are great and the only complaint I cannot expand the memory on it, but not too bad unless you have the 8gb version.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I love my 8X. I've had a few of them. It feels great in the hand. Sound awesome plugged in (I EQ my music before I sync). I love my apps. Use ?40gb/mo with videos/movies. The display just POPS!!

Yum!!!!

sharprobert

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I am using HTC 8x from december till now.This is Amazing phone having great camera & lookwp8x-f2-1.png
I have had no problems with this phone and it's been great. I have it synced with my Microsoft account, which stores all settings, passwords, documents, pictures, and more in the cloud. Between my Windows 8 desktop, my Xbox, and my 8X, the synergy that comes with Microsoft's ecosystem is the best I have experienced, far better than Google and Apple's

Last edited:

markyjns

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Been using the 8x for nearly two months having been with iPhone since day one.

8x is frankly a gorgeous phone, vastly superior imho in build quality to my iPhone 5, much better audio quality and the WP8 os knocks ios out.

I considered various Nokias but the sheer bulk of them were off putting.
The 8x is slim and light with nice tapered edging.
The iPhone 5 despite being smaller feels like a boxy brick in comparison.

sashlon

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to thank everyone who posted in this thread. After a bit of consideration I decided to get a Lumia 920 instead. I got it yesterday and I'm loving it.

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
What a shame. I bought an 8X last weekend and it has simply blown me away. I knew it would be better than my old phone but I really wasn't expecting it to be such a huge leap up. The Lumia920 looks like a solid choice, too, but it is still a lot more expensive than the 8X and far too bulky for me.

sashlon

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
The shop I used just reduced it to only $100 more than the 8X.

I'm sure they're both great. The extra 16 gigs is the main reason I picked the. Nokia, and the camera's reputation.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Of the current WP8 devices available, I've owned a Lumia 920, an 820, and now an HTC 8X. The 8X is...ok. The power and volume buttons are definitely a pain in the *** compared to the Lumia buttons, but I've never liked the power button placement on the Lumias.

The 920 and 820 both seem smoother navigating around the UI. The 8X feels good in the hand I suppose, better than the 920 for sure. The 820 has more heft than the 8X, but I think it fits better in the hand. The problem with the 820 is that the screen scratches WAY too easily, easier than the 8X.

And then you get to the problem of not having a Nokia device - they have better software and better warranty support. I think if I could trade someone my 8X straight up for a 920 I would, and probably would for a mint condition 820 as well.

waraukaeru

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm the same, I feel hard cases and bulky covers interfere with how the phone looks and feels. Kinda defeats the purpose of having a phone that exhibits great aesthetical qualities :winktongue:

But that's the trade off; do you want practicality for a phone you're very likely to drop with an ugly case, or do you carry it naked to show off to the world but leaving it susceptible to said drops and fall? A terrible dilemma and a true first world problem :grin:

There is another option, clear Skinomi skin. I have a skin on my device and it is very nice-- still get to have my phone pretty and slim but get a little added protection. It holds up to scratches very well. Peeled off one corner a bit though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124