Thinking about getting a 1520. Have questions.

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
Thank you. :)

BTW none of those updates list that they are for the sensitivity issues. The first set of updates was part of the 'release series' and the second update is in the same series as what the rest of the world received. That update is for some updated bluetooth stack related stuff and some general fixes.

Nokia has never said that any of these specific updates are for the sensitivity issue. To be honest I would expect that to occur with the 8.1 drop or a little before since that is going to be their next big firmware update.

BTW, OEM's have to push firmware updates all the time...usually when new OS versions are released in case there are any oddities that crop up with changes to the underlying OS code.

It sounds like you've never coded any sort of software to be quite honest...but if I'm wrong in that assumption please feel free to tell me.

The only standalone update that they've done is the 3562 release. The other firmware update was specifically tied to an OS build update from Microsoft as the 1520 was released before GDR3 was 100% ready to go.

Changelog....Latest software release for Nokia Lumia 1520 is 1028.3562.1407.1001

• Improvements to touch sensitivity
  • Improvements to Bluetooth connection quality
  • Improvements to headset detection
  • Improvements to stability and performance

Before calling out people, you might want to check your "facts" with Nokia first....

..............o_O "sigh" .................

I've lost motivation in this thread now. Thanks OP. Keep an open mind when you're making a decision. I am sure Nokia will fix these issues in the future.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Changelog....Latest software release for Nokia Lumia 1520 is 1028.3562.1407.1001

• Improvements to touch sensitivity
  • Improvements to Bluetooth connection quality
  • Improvements to headset detection
  • Improvements to stability and performance

Before calling out people, you might want to check your "facts" with Nokia first....

..............o_O "sigh" .................

I've lost motivation in this thread now. Thanks OP. Keep an open mind when you're making a decision. I am sure Nokia will fix these issues in the future.

The official changelog page is located here: Firmware change logs for Nokia Lumia (Windows Phone) devices - Nokia Developer Wiki

It hasn't even been updated to show these changes yet...which means the page you're referencing (Nokia Lumia 1520 - Software Update and Downloads - Nokia - USA) must have been updated within the last day or so as it was showing the previous firmware update log when I looked before.

Unfortunately I cannot verify when those changes were made since Archive.org wasn't following that page, but I added it to the archive so future updates should be traceable for when the page is updated.

BTW I do see a timestamp that shows the page was updated about 2 days ago when looking through things...so my apologies for not checking today before I posted...that is indeed actually my fault.

I should make sure to ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS look for the latest version of all pages on their server that could possible contain changelog data, not just the official changelog page.

No I'm not being sarcastic. I'm willing to accept when I make a mistake.

It also looks like the official changelog page doesn't even have the AT&T version of the 1520 listed. It only lists the RM-937, RM-938, and RM-939 for some reason...

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
That would be impossible to do. I just know that there are users out there who do and don't have issues with their 1520's...but like I stated in my first post...I think there is a bad "batch" of phones -not all- that have hardware defects....it is not all too uncommon for OEMs to fail quality assurance at a point during manufacturing. I ran in the same situation when the HTC One (M7) was first released last year.

Ah right. Sorry but I didn't mean to offend on my reply. Just want to make the threadmaster's life easier.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Well...fwiw...I left my note2 at the att store as a trade in.While not a note3..mine was fully rooted and running 4.4 so it was up to date without official firmware.

To my satisfaction no issues present. This phone is simply great.

Gone is quirkiness and worry of having to continually flash roms updates radios just to keep it from crashing..and being able to get full signal strength

My advise for what it is worth,get one and don't fret about it..It's just not Android and things are different but better in ways depending on your perspective..Battery life has been excellent,no crashes playing games,downloading,watching utube HD videos,phone calls,texting,using maps,Nokia radio ...no crackling speaker,proximity issues...just enjoying this phone for 2 days.

Mac

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I will stand by my opinion, for less money the bit older HTC One max is a way safer bet in that price range. Crashes a really a non issue on Android 4.3.2. My HTC One runs 4.4.2 and is less stable. For less than 1/2 price the Nokia 1320 is a device which is substantially less likely to have issues than the 1520. This is not only about raw performance but also buying a device that will less likely upset you because of issues.

Ian Hanson

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
I don't think it's accurate to say "the 1320 is substantially less likely to have issues than the 1520". The 1520 has small issues that only affect a small number of devices and the forums reflect that. There's no reason to think the 1320 is going to be any different, for better or worse. It really feels like you're just searching for reasons to put down the 1520 because of its "high" price, which actually isn't any higher than an Android or iOS flagship, and in some cases is cheaper (ie compared to the Sony Z2).

Posted via the WPC App

emigrating

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
The 1520 has small issues that only affect a small number of devices and the forums reflect that.

A small number of devices? As far as I can tell, ALL devices have the oversensitivity issue? I've had my 1520 for some time now and while I love it the sensitivity is a big pain in the arse. At the last Build session I attended yesterday I was lucky enough to win another 1520, and this too has the exact same issue. My old device has gotten better over time thru updates, but it's still far from perfect and I'm starting to think this is a hardware issue.

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
A small number of devices? As far as I can tell, ALL devices have the oversensitivity issue? I've had my 1520 for some time now and while I love it the sensitivity is a big pain in the arse. At the last Build session I attended yesterday I was lucky enough to win another 1520, and this too has the exact same issue. My old device has gotten better over time thru updates, but it's still far from perfect and I'm starting to think this is a hardware issue.

How often is it happening for you approximately? I am in the same position as OP - interested in the phone, but concerned about this screen sensitivity issue.

emigrating

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
How often is it happening for you approximately? I am in the same position as OP - interested in the phone, but concerned about this screen sensitivity issue.

It depends. Take this past week for example, I arrived in SF the Friday before Build and did not experience a sensitivity issue until the third day or the conference. On the downside, it happened throughout that entire day and was driving me nuts. Today it's been mostly fine again, apart from a couple times during lunch.

It happens enough to be an issue, but not enough for me to give up the phone. Partly because any other phone feels like a toy after having gotten used to a 1520.

zwuncki

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
I got a new L1520 about 7 days ago (wanted a yellow instead of a white)... I ALWAYS do a hardreset at the beginning. In the past it has proven to be very stable after that. So I first downloaded preview for developers, installed all new updates including firmware and then did a hardreset. It has been 7 days now and till now I haven't had a single touchscreen problem, I had a few with every WP8 device I owned after installing updates (HTC 8X, L1520, L1020). Mabye a hardreset after installing the latest updates wouldn't be a bad idea sometimes (will hardreset after installing WP8.1).

My problem here in GER is bad 3G reception out of metropolitan areas. 2G and 4G is fine though. And it happened a few times that after a call the device wouldn't end the call for perhaps 30 seconds... Software problems I guess.

But besides the bad 3G reception compared to others I'm so happy with my (yellow) 1520. It feels amazing, it looks amazing, it's very fast... a standout compared to others (esp. Samsung devices).

Ian Hanson

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
I've used my 1520.3 for 2 days now and haven't had one touch screen sensitivity issue. No misinterpreted swipes or anything in about 15 hours of constant use. Extremely pleased to have this great functionality without even needing to find a workaround or disable any features.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I've used my 1520.3 for 2 days now and haven't had one touch screen sensitivity issue. No misinterpreted swipes or anything in about 15 hours of constant use. Extremely pleased to have this great functionality without even needing to find a workaround or disable any features.

Good to hear. Can you tell us if you got yours from Newegg or Negri, and what color? Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria