Thinking about making the switch from IOS

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I made the switch from an iphone 4 to a 928 and my biggest issue are the apps. They don't have the same functionality. The ones I use are availble in the WP Store but they don't work the same. Not yet anyway and they should imo...especailly if MS is serious about competing in the mobile arena. I made the switch after a lot of research and hand wringing. I came over with an open mind and was looking forward to something new but after a month the honeymoon is over. It's sorta like when your girlfriend moves in... now that I've lived with her awhile, it just aint the same experience. ;) I find myself using my iphone on wi-fi at home since I get alerts on that for the social media I'm on and I'm starting to take it with me in the vehicle as an ipod to connect to my radio. I'm seriously concidering getting an iPad at this point...

If you expect the apps to function identically to the iPhone counterparts, then its obvious the OS would not suit your needs. Even when WP8 gets top tier applications, they are usually different from Apple/Android and most of us here enjoy it. We would much prefer the Metro UI across whole OS rather than the typical standard form. It sounds like you're happy with the iOS platform, it sounds like you wanted to be open-minded but in the end just prefer your norm. Why not sell the 928 and invest towards an iPhone 4s? Im sure you'd get enough money. Where does an iPad fit on your point? Im confused, not trying to be rude but im quite stumped lol. Also, i would never move in with a girlfriend officially without making sure it'd work out...meaning id test run weekends and weeks before making the official move :p

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
If you expect the apps to function identically to the iPhone counterparts, then its obvious the OS would not suit your needs. Even when WP8 gets top tier applications, they are usually different from Apple/Android and most of us here enjoy it. We would much prefer the Metro UI across whole OS rather than the typical standard form. It sounds like you're happy with the iOS platform, it sounds like you wanted to be open-minded but in the end just prefer your norm. Why not sell the 928 and invest towards an iPhone 4s? Im sure you'd get enough money. Where does an iPad fit on your point? Im confused, not trying to be rude but im quite stumped lol. Also, i would never move in with a girlfriend officially without making sure it'd work out...meaning id test run weekends and weeks before making the official move :p

I think you may have misunderstood the 'works differently' meaning, I think he meant lacks similar functionality. It's one of my bigger gripes about WP. We get the apps but then find out they are not similar in functionality to the apps on other platforms. Some have turned out to be better, so before people start in on me, yes I know there are those 'few' apps that are better.

Also if you had read earlier in the thread he uses niche apps that are not available on WP, so having an iPad probably makes sense. He just doesn't want to use an iPhone.

I would probably do the same thing as he's doing if I was switching from something like Android or iPhone.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I think you may have misunderstood the 'works differently' meaning, I think he meant lacks similar functionality. It's one of my bigger gripes about WP. We get the apps but then find out they are not similar in functionality to the apps on other platforms. Some have turned out to be better, so before people start in on me, yes I know there are those 'few' apps that are better.

I agree, there are apps on WP that do not match the 'functionality' (i believe the proper term is features) that other platform similar apps have. I myself have no come across these, the only one i have a gripe with is LinkedIn, but the integration with People's Hub more than makes up for the minor layout issues. The lack of apps in WP is a set back, none of us can deny it...but at least i can look at my phone without wanting to hurl it at a wall for being so boring. LOL...ok, i took it too far....but i honestly feel that way. All i meant was he should have 'test drove' it before officially settling down (much like the girlfriend example)...most service providers give you 14 days to try or trade, i think thats more than enough time to figure out if your cherished apps meet your needs or not.

Also if you had read earlier in the thread he uses niche apps that are not available on WP, so having an iPad probably makes sense. He just doesn't want to use an iPhone.

I would probably do the same thing as he's doing if I was switching from something like Android or iPhone.

Ahhh, makes sense....i see where he was going. I'd go with the iPad Mini...regular iPad is too big for my tastes ;)

Riverrunner88

May 13, 2013
Visit site
What N_LaRUE said! No worries chezm... :smile:

FB is a good example as from what I can tell, the iOS and Andriod app are very similar in form and fuction. For example, I can only post one photo at a time on WP vs adding muiltple photo's in one post. Through the ME tile I can add 3 photo's max to a post but then I can't add a comment. It's things like this that bug me and is frustrating.

I like the 928 a lot and the OS is fine. I wasn't sure if the phone would be too big but man I love the sceen size and clairity. I'm not a die hard enthusiest like most people on here, just a normal or regular user so it's taken me a bit to really get into it which took me beyond the 14 days alloted for a return. Honestly, it wasn't until I was on a 10 day vacation that I discovered some of the limitations of the FB app. Even with these grips, and losing some of my niche apps, I don't think I'da returned it anyway because the iphone 5 isn't much of a step up imo. I look at this forum everyday so I can make the best use of the 928 and the OS, to keep up on what is going on regarding updates, and to help me figure it out. It's admittedly tough to ditch 3 years of iOS/ iTunes and I didn't expect it to be super smooth. I'm hoping that MS will address this stuff AND I'm hoping maybe some of my comments will help others concidering the switch.

And yes... the mini is what I'm concidering.

Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hamododomunı