This Might Just Be The Final Straw

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
The final straw... For Windows Phone 8.1? Because Windows 10 Mobile has been out officially for a year. It's expected that they'd stop supporting apps for an outdated operating system. The Skype team is focused on Windows 10 Mobile, not Windows Phone 8.1, or 7, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

pericle

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
The final straw... For Windows Phone 8.1? Because Windows 10 Mobile has been out officially for a year. It's expected that they'd stop supporting apps for an outdated operating system. The Skype team is focused on Windows 10 Mobile, not Windows Phone 8.1, or 7, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
But then why is Skype still supporting Android 4.0.3, An operating system which was released in 2011? Windows Phone 8.1 was released only in 2014 and already they're dropping support. Pretty much sums up Microsoft's attitude towards Windows Phone.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
But then why is Skype still supporting Android 4.0.3, An operating system which was released in 2011? Windows Phone 8.1 was released only in 2014 and already they're dropping support. Pretty much sums up Microsoft's attitude towards Windows Phone.

Because there are far more people on Android 4.0.3 than there are on WP8.1. From a business perspective, it makes sense to support that. It's nothing personal.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Because there are far more people on Android 4.0.3 than there are on WP8.1. From a business perspective, it makes sense to support that. It's nothing personal.

True, but yet there are about 6 times as many people on WP8/8.1 as there are on W10M. I'm not sure user count is the issue here.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

To be fair, there are a number of phones out there that are eligible for upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile, but don't have it because the carrier didn't care to test and/or approve the update. AT&T 640 XL, T-Mobile 640, T-Mobile 435, I'm probably forgetting some.

I know that the common answer is to just join Insider, but why should a regular consumer HAVE to do that to get an update when iPhones get them, and a number of Android phones get them without any work (or risk) required?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
To piggyback on the above ^ by libra89: W10M is also "opt in" via the Upgrade App and non-forum users have little chance of finding this out, further suppressing the numbers...

To amplify what Indistinguishable is talking about: Microsoft wants to move forward with the new deal and One Platform approach.

The two factors are at odds with each other - difficulty in distributing W10M and the need to move that forward.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
True, but yet there are about 6 times as many people on WP8/8.1 as there are on W10M. I'm not sure user count is the issue here.

But it's their future for the long term. And because they are making one for Desktop anyways the developer tools were designed to make it easier for mobile. The shares are so low in windows phone in general and the negativity surrounding it is so high that all those users on 8.1 will either leave elsewhere or just have no interest in apps anyways. So for MS it's a no brainer. Windows 8.1 will get annihilated, android has such a huge market share that their kit kat users will always be present from lack of updates and being comfy with the apps they already have.

Honestly people complain their few year old phone isn't supported anymore. Well, a bunch of my friends are huge android fans and they buy new phones almost yearly. Most of their updates may come in within a year but after that it slows down to a halt. Of course the advantage for them is that carriers allow them to do it with some extra money but not the full unlocked price at once.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
But it's their future for the long term. And because they are making one for Desktop anyways the developer tools were designed to make it easier for mobile. The shares are so low in windows phone in general and the negativity surrounding it is so high that all those users on 8.1 will either leave elsewhere or just have no interest in apps anyways. So for MS it's a no brainer. Windows 8.1 will get annihilated, android has such a huge market share that their kit kat users will always be present from lack of updates and being comfy with the apps they already have.

Honestly people complain their few year old phone isn't supported anymore. Well, a bunch of my friends are huge android fans and they buy new phones almost yearly. Most of their updates may come in within a year but after that it slows down to a halt. Of course the advantage for them is that carriers allow them to do it with some extra money but not the full unlocked price at once.

You are absolutely correct, assuming one looks at the situation logically. But since when has Microsoft been doing that? :eck:

We do not know the reasons Microsoft treats mobile the way they do. We can only make educated guesses based on our perceptions. That applies here as well.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Android 4.0.3-4.0.4 ICS makes up 1.6% of Android's 2016 marketshare. So no, not really.

They just don't care, that's it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb