Thoughs of the New Arrive

mock19

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
It's here and it's glorious! Now if that screen protector would just "arrive." =((((

Entered my contacts in to get used to the keyboard...very nice keyboard. Only complaint is that its hard to hit space bar. If you press in the center it works fine, but you really gotta press harder at the edges to make it work.

Screen is sharper/larger than my Samsung Moment so no complaints. Phone is very quick, have not encountered any stutters. Phone has a very solid feel to it, hard to explain unless you hold it.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
This is my first Windows 7 Phone. While I do think the OS has GREAT potential and is very fast and smooth with just about everything... it has quite a few noticeable downsides that I am seeing so far. These may be little gripes but maybe you all will agree with me that these features are needed in a future update...

1. Need a tone or something to let me know when battery is going to die! I was on a call tonight and had not even got the low battery warning while on call let alone the critical battery warning and then bam black screen. Person got mad and thought I hung up on them!

2. When you turn the phone into landscape mode why is there no address bar in IE? I have to slide the phone open to make it pop up! That is just beyond stupid if you ask me. But then if I am already on google.com and tap in the search bar then the onscreen keyboard pops up? Just wow is all I have to say.

3. No custom ringtones which I already knew going in but it would be nice!

4. I realize the LG Quantam does not do this either but why cant they make it so the home screen rotates for these windows phones with landscape slide out keyboards??? It just looks horrible to have your keyboard slid out and then look at the home screen sideways! Ugh!

5. The back light for the physical keyboard has issues. Atleast on mine. The back light timeout must be like 5-7 seconds because as soon as I stop typing it goes out. Then in the dark I cannot see what letters are which so I have to hit a button to light the keyboard back up. Please Microsoft or HTC make a setting so we can adjust the keyboard back light timeout! Its beyond frustrating.

6. Why o why does the green indicator light at top flash for a missed call or voicemail but not for missed texts??? This has to be fixed as well. If you got the light why not use it to its full potential. You can flash a red light also for a dying battery when all that does is drain the battery faster! Real smart...

7. Make an option so we can see the top status bar all the time. I like seeing my signal strength and battery life at all times. Also a battery % would be nice as well someday.

8. Hardware wise this particular phone is very well built for the most part. The 2 gripes I have is the power button being too flush with the phone and not having good feedback. Also the sliding mechanism is very unique but I find it hard to slide open and closed compared to a Touch Pro 2 I have used before.

Anyways those are just a few things I have noticed so far that I wish they would work on. I'm not trying to just sit here and badmouth it all day but those things really bug me. I will still hang onto this phone though to watch it mature and for the great Music player it has. Just hope minor updates before Mango fix these things listed above...

anything else u wish to say besides harping. 2-7 Really isn't an issue for me. And anyhow even so this phone is still more superior than any webOS device out there.

mock19

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
The arrive has more landscape mode support than I expected, and a slick rotation animation.

I agree with #7, and I also find the power button annoying. Its worse with a cover, u need fingernails to press it with the body glove case on it. On top of that I do the same thing as the reviewer and keep clicking the hinge thinking its the power button lol.

tmorningstar

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I LOVE my phone. My last phone was a BB Curve and this phone is night and day better. My only compliant is that since I use my phone as my alarm, I want to turn all my alerts off at night and still have my alarm go off super loud. It doesn't have that option at all. The first night I had my phone, I had to have the volume up so I can hear the alarm in the morning and I was woken up about 5-6 times from texts or emails. Not a huge deal, but kind of is if you use the phone as your alarm.

Thrasherx2k1

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
anything else u wish to say besides harping. 2-7 Really isn't an issue for me. And anyhow even so this phone is still more superior than any webOS device out there.

I'm sorry but to say Win Phone 7 OS is superior to webOS is hilarious. Hell even the Pre feels better in the hand. At least you can feel the power button and the keyboard stays lit up! Any android lover will tell you also that webOS is superior to any Android version out who have actually played with a webOS device... Now MS can and probably will catch up on most the things I listed above. I am just mad they weren't included at launch.....

coasterfreak212

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry but to say Win Phone 7 OS is superior to webOS is hilarious. Hell even the Pre feels better in the hand. At least you can feel the power button and the keyboard stays lit up! Any android lover will tell you also that webOS is superior to any Android version out who have actually played with a webOS device... Now MS can and probably will catch up on most the things I listed above. I am just mad they weren't included at launch.....

Not to start up a flame war, but you can't deny that Windows Phone isn't impressive on its own merits as well. I got a critical battery notification when my battery went low so I don't know went on there. As for the other things, they are pretty glaring I will agree.

But think back to the launch of the Pre. No video recording, no MMS, no forwarding Txt messages, you couldn't copy and paste everything only certain txt fields, a really lame facebook app, the "Too Many Cards" problem came up too often in the beginning, the apps overall weren't good until PDK was released, the flimsy usb cover ALWAYS broke off, the earlier models had their power button COMPLETELY broken off (I have a friend in Sprint Service and Repair and he said that they had new power buttons, as mine broke off, and it was a major problem that palm silently fixed), and A WHOLE bunch of other problems when the Pre came out the gate.

Software updates will fix the problems, at least hopefully, but Windows Phone is still a REALLY new OS and the Arrive is just what, 4 days old from launch? (not counting Pro 7, as it's not CDMA, therefore, the Arrive is a completely different device)

I'm upset with a lot of the problems as you are, Thrasher, but we can't just state that one thing is better than the other by stating its faults, especially in comparisons to platforms that have been out longer than the others.

And don't get me wrong either, I LOVE my Pre and WebOS (the small stint I had with an Evo made that REALLY clear to me) but at the end of the day, all these phones have problems.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

jaja if that were true then everyone I kno with a pre wouldn't be hating it and all Android users would have one. Try again almidonado

Thrasherx2k1

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
jaja if that were true then everyone I kno with a pre wouldn't be hating it and all Android users would have one. Try again almidonado

Everyone hated their Pres because of the hardware! From the sliders not sliding, to the usb door falling off, to the screen cracking starting where the usb port is making its way to the screen, to the Pre Plus's space bar not working half the time. It was all hardware that pushed people away from Palm and Webos. Also the fact that Android came out with a new phone every 2 months along with a great app store. I don't blame people for going to Android but they still admit webOS is a better OS and it is. Android has a clunky interface especially with its multitasking. The Mango update for Windows has a very nice looking multitasking interface although it is a bit of a ripoff of webOS just like Blackberry did with the playbook. You can hate all you want but Palm got it right with webOS. Yes it lacked things at launch but it sure has them now. Obviously HP saw something in the OS to spend the type of $ they did to buy out Palm!

Matts4313

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
The arrive has more landscape mode support than I expected, and a slick rotation animation.

I agree with #7, and I also find the power button annoying. Its worse with a cover, u need fingernails to press it with the body glove case on it. On top of that I do the same thing as the reviewer and keep clicking the hinge thinking its the power button lol.

Agree with this. I was expecting no landscape support, but it does landscape in almost everything outside the tile screen.

Also, I keep pressing the hinge instead of the power button. I'm sure I'll get used to it. As for everything else- I love it so far. I think I'll make a thread for us to post cool apps/games0tips/tricks

frylock

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Yes, the hinge and power buttons definitely are gotchas.

And landscape support is actually quite good. I think since you can rotate it even without the keyboard, many things have the support for it built in already.

strictlystyles

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Everyone hated their Pres because of the hardware! From the sliders not sliding, to the usb door falling off, to the screen cracking starting where the usb port is making its way to the screen, to the Pre Plus's space bar not working half the time. It was all hardware that pushed people away from Palm and Webos. Also the fact that Android came out with a new phone every 2 months along with a great app store. I don't blame people for going to Android but they still admit webOS is a better OS and it is. Android has a clunky interface especially with its multitasking. The Mango update for Windows has a very nice looking multitasking interface although it is a bit of a ripoff of webOS just like Blackberry did with the playbook. You can hate all you want but Palm got it right with webOS. Yes it lacked things at launch but it sure has them now. Obviously HP saw something in the OS to spend the type of $ they did to buy out Palm!

I agree with this, I am a webos DIE-HARD and I had to leave due to the shoddy hardware which is the palm pre-minus. That, and the fact that palm just couldn't get it right with coming designs, and just absolutely refused to make a different form factor (other than small) or a slate that could actually be taken seriously in the tech world. That, and the fact that my pre minus was falling apart, HP abandoning support for it, and my early upgrade was going away in april, with sprint, still unsure if they were even WANTING the Pre3, I left and got me an arrive.

Im totally happy with the form factor, and just the minute difference in size make a load of difference. I was a day one early adopter for the pre and all I got was shat on in the end, though i love the heck out of the OS. Hopefully they will release a slate in the coming years in which ill have a tough choice between webos and the upcoming Wp8, but until then, its wp7 all the way.

But now that I think of it, a webOS phone with no gesture bar support is pretty lame. I think ill be staying with WP7 if this is going to be the case going forward with 3.0

Last edited:

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

they only did it because they were struggling financially. Palm lost to MS before and they will lose again. Its funny how u hate on MS for leaving out some features when ur precious palm left out more.they left out things that even a regular phone does. I wonder what u were sayin during that time huh?

coasterfreak212

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I agree with this, I am a webos DIE-HARD and I had to leave due to the shoddy hardware which is the palm pre-minus. That, and the fact that palm just couldn't get it right with coming designs, and just absolutely refused to make a different form factor (other than small) or a slate that could actually be taken seriously in the tech world. That, and the fact that my pre minus was falling apart, HP abandoning support for it, and my early upgrade was going away in april, with sprint, still unsure if they were even WANTING the Pre3, I left and got me an arrive.

Im totally happy with the form factor, and just the minute difference in size make a load of difference. I was a day one early adopter for the pre and all I got was shat on in the end, though i love the heck out of the OS. Hopefully they will release a slate in the coming years in which ill have a tough choice between webos and the upcoming Wp8, but until then, its wp7 all the way.

But now that I think of it, a webOS phone with no gesture bar support is pretty lame. I think ill be staying with WP7 if this is going to be the case going forward with 3.0

I agree wholeheartedly with this.

And btw, did you know that the toaster notifications in Windows Phone 7 can swype away to the right and left just like in WebOS? I did it by accident and force of habit, it's pretty cool that they copied this idea for the notifications!

Matts4313

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I agree wholeheartedly with this.

And btw, did you know that the toaster notifications in Windows Phone 7 can swype away to the right and left just like in WebOS? I did it by accident and force of habit, it's pretty cool that they copied this idea for the notifications!

That makes 3. I went through ~4 pres and a pixi before jumping ship. Went Epic, but didnt like it. Now im happy with Arrive.

Thrasherx2k1

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
they only did it because they were struggling financially. Palm lost to MS before and they will lose again. Its funny how u hate on MS for leaving out some features when ur precious palm left out more.they left out things that even a regular phone does. I wonder what u were sayin during that time huh?

I'm not hating on MS. Thing is though they left out A LOT more on Win Phone 7 than Palm did with webOS at launch. Are you forgetting this is 2011? Palm was 2009... Microsoft should of made these things standard in the OS. Want me to add a few more to my list for WP7???
1. How about the fact that you cant have different volume levels for different things such as ringer volume,navigation volume,zune headphone volume ect... I had it on 30 for music and it stays on 30 for the ringer when I unplug the earbuds...
2. How about the fact that this particular HTC Arrive device only gets 75% as loud as a original Zune 30/80 or Zune HD?? Whats the point of having high end earbuds if you cant even turn them up. My Pre even got louder than the Arrive.
3. How about the fact that on Engadget.com my favorite website. That on mobile site and full version site you cannot even read the comments! Nothing shows up! Just the article. This has to be a IE problem. And where is a engadget app?
4. Also where is flash player??? webOS has it now! and android has for a while...

I could list more but you'll just call me a flamer. When you get spoiled by webOS and go to Android or any other OS you will always feel things are lacking. Just the way it is bud. If you never owned a Pre don't even talk. As you can see the other posters on here agree with me.

Thrasherx2k1

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Not to start up a flame war, but you can't deny that Windows Phone isn't impressive on its own merits as well. I got a critical battery notification when my battery went low so I don't know went on there. As for the other things, they are pretty glaring I will agree.

But think back to the launch of the Pre. No video recording, no MMS, no forwarding Txt messages, you couldn't copy and paste everything only certain txt fields, a really lame facebook app, the "Too Many Cards" problem came up too often in the beginning, the apps overall weren't good until PDK was released, the flimsy usb cover ALWAYS broke off, the earlier models had their power button COMPLETELY broken off (I have a friend in Sprint Service and Repair and he said that they had new power buttons, as mine broke off, and it was a major problem that palm silently fixed), and A WHOLE bunch of other problems when the Pre came out the gate.

Software updates will fix the problems, at least hopefully, but Windows Phone is still a REALLY new OS and the Arrive is just what, 4 days old from launch? (not counting Pro 7, as it's not CDMA, therefore, the Arrive is a completely different device)

I'm upset with a lot of the problems as you are, Thrasher, but we can't just state that one thing is better than the other by stating its faults, especially in comparisons to platforms that have been out longer than the others.

And don't get me wrong either, I LOVE my Pre and WebOS (the small stint I had with an Evo made that REALLY clear to me) but at the end of the day, all these phones have problems.

Yes Wp7 is very nice and elegant to use. I am rooting for it to overtake Android or IOS someday as I believe HP doesn't have what it takes to get webOS up to the top sadly. Those things you listed that the Pre lacked the Iphone also lacked too for a long while. Must of had something to do with the fact that former Apple employees helped create and build webOS and the Pre. But like I said that was 2007-2009. This is 2011! Microsoft needs to be on top of things. For them to say you will not believe what WP7 can do in their commercials is quite a misstatement if you ask me. Got a while to go before they should have the balls to say that. Only thing that "I cannot believe" is how smooth it runs and that it has Xbox Live support. Everything else we have seen before...