Total Wireless - New Verizon MVNO?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I recently saw a post by Clark Howard that mentioned a new MVNO that runs on Verizon's network. This could be a good deal for those of us who depend on Verizon because of poor coverage by the other carriers where we live. The downside: 3G.

I haven't decided yet if I'm going to make the switch. At this point, I'm paying $165ish a month for Verizon to power two smart phones and a dumb phone, with 10 GB of shared data (I never use that much, though), and unlimited talk and text. That is with a corporate discount, and my Icon is on the Edge program (which means that $25 of my monthly rate is paying for my phone, if I remember right). So I could pick up a second-hand 822 and give my step-son a smart phone, and spend $85 a month on 9GB shared data for 3 phones, with unlimited talk and text, vs the $140 (subtracted the payment for my Icon) I'm spending now. So the difference is $55 a month, right? But is 4G worth that $55?

I haven't decided yet. I'm still up in the air, as I do like my data, and I do hate to wait. But I thought I'd throw this out there for anyone else who may be interested. At this point, I'm not sure if I'll make the switch, but time will tell. I'm curious if/when Verizon will cut off 3G service, since their network now has 100% 4G coverage. That could make it worthwhile.

In the meantime, Total Wireless may be worth checking out for some of you.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
My local Walmart has sold Total Wireless for a few months now, but I do not have any experience with it. If I was looking to switch I'd certainly check it out. But right now I have a Verizon unlimited data plan, and I don't intend to give that up anytime soon!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon