Touch Diamond vs. Touch Pro vs. Moto Q

Bird_Flu

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
Hi everyone, I've been a WinMo user since I got my original Sprint Moto Q about 2 years ago. I'm an IT professional and a HUGE WinMo fan. I have a BB Curve 8330 for work and have to say I'm not impressed with the BB OS. I'm looking for a new personal phone and have been going back and forth between the Touch Diamond on Sprint and the Touch Pro. Between the two which one would you buy if you were coming from a super thin Moto Q?

This phone will be in my pocket, I'm not a fan of the Batman utility belt look, no offense to anyone that likes to carry their phone on their belt, it's just not for me.

So having said that is the physical keyboard enough of a trade-off for the added thickness? How does everyone like the soft keyboards that are included and do you think the SPB Keyboard program is worth the money? I'm not a really heavy user of typing and e-mail, since it's not my business phone. I have a little over a month to decide, before I can get my discount, and I am sticking with Sprint. So any input on a comparison between the two devices would be great. Tell me about your battery life, durability of the phone, gripes, praise for the phones, anything. Thanks everyone.

nmoreman

Aug 30, 2007
Visit site
I tried both the Diamond and have the Touch Pro. I had Treo, so about same thickness. There is only .1 inch difference in the two.
The deciding factor is whether you need the physical keyboard. It is very different typing on a smaller touch screen (I am using compact querty which requires some double taps) so am slower but not a huge deal the way I use it.
Slide out keyboard will be more accurate.

Your biggest decision is whether you need a keyboard.

rosede

Feb 5, 2008
Visit site
I've been wondering the same thing myself.

I had my first "hands on" with a Pro display. I was leaning toward getting the Pro, but it appeared to me that the keypad would be to hard to type on. The buttons were small and to close together. I'm also coming from a Treo, so the I'm used to the separated and raised key's. Even with that, I have a hard enough time not making typo's.

Anyone with actual hands on experience using the Pro keyboard? How is the typing on this device? Easier or harder that using a Treo keypad?

Thanks.

Daryl

Bird_Flu

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
I had a brief hands on with the touch pro in the sprint store and it was, interesting to type on it. I have two concerns with the Touch Pro, the first being the thickness of the phone. The second concern is the keyboard. I'm coming from the very unique Motorola Q keyboard and the Touch Pro is a different animal. Now I feel I could get used to just about any keyboard but this one would take some time. It's a totally different feel.

TopDog

Apr 21, 2008
gauteweb.net
I've used both the Diamond and Touch Pro for a while.

The Diamond is very "pocket-friendly", but I seriously missed a physical keyboard.

The Touch Pro has a wonderful keyboard is way to thick for my taste, not "pocket-friendly".

I've actually ended up with the Samsung SGH-i780 (Epix), and think I will keep this one for a long time. The frontside keyboard and the 320x320 screen is great, and the device is much faster than any HTC.

Bird_Flu

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
As far as soft keyboards go how is the Touch Dianmond/Pro keyboard? Would anyone recommend buying the SPB keyboard program?

Bird_Flu

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
It's an alternative program to the built in Software keyboards that WinMo ships with, and in this case the HTC software keyboards. Thanks to all for your replies, I guess I'll just have to try out the pocket method in the store and see which one makes me less upset and if I can really trade off a physical keyboard. The thing that makes this choice so tough is they're only $50 apart in price.

Bird_Flu

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
Battery Question

OK I don't know if this has been asked on here before or not and I did perform a search to see if I could find the answer but my question is this. Will the extended batteries, i.e. - the Seidio 1500mAH, battery work with the Sprint Touch Pro as far as the case fit goes. I know the store lists the battery as "Not Compatible" with my device but was wondering if that was because the back is a different shape. I would like to get a second battery and possibly some kind of secondary battery charger when I pick up either my new Touch Pro or Touch Diamond next month. Any input would be greatly appreciated, and as of now I'm leaning towards the Touch Pro on Sprint, I think I would miss my physical keyboard a little too much.

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
The Seidio 1500mah is the same size as the stock battery and sits flush. I don't see why it wouldn't fit and will check with the "powers-that-be" at the store to see if I'm missing something.

Update: There is a chance that the interior of the Sprint TP might be slightly different making the 1500mah incompatible. Sprint lists the battery as 1340mah. Granted this could be a typo or that the battery is slimmer, making the 1500mah battery too thick for the battery well.

Last edited:

Bird_Flu

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
The Seidio 1500mah is the same size as the stock battery and sits flush. I don't see why it wouldn't fit and will check with the "powers-that-be" at the store to see if I'm missing something.

Update: There is a chance that the interior of the Sprint TP might be slightly different making the 1500mah incompatible. Sprint lists the battery as 1340mah. Granted this could be a typo or that the battery is slimmer, making the 1500mah battery too thick for the battery well.

Thanks for the quick reply Coppertop. I really hope it is compatible because I tend to use my phones pretty heavily. If it's not do you know of anywhere to get another battery besides the Sprint Store?

Bird_Flu

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
Well I decided to go with the Touch Diamond, mostly because I tried it out and the touch pro was a little thick and I wasn't thrilled with the keyboard. I was going to wait another couple of weeks for the Treo Pro but after checking out the specs, I just went with the Diamond. Now a question for everyone, what software should I bother spending money on? Does everyone like SPB Mobile Shell? I'm not using TouchFlo3D, I truly prefer the Today screen of WinMo.

Bujin#IM

Sep 16, 2003
Visit site
Touch Diamond is a better set. Its features are much better than others.

I'm curious as to why you feel its features are better than the Pro. It seems to me that the question is whether your priorities are for a keyboard, SD card and video-out, or if you would rather not have those features in favor of a thinner device. To me, it's a matter of best fit, rather than "better" features.

leamsie

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
Hi There! This is Leamsie!
Im new in this site! I tried both the Diamond and have the Touch Pro. I had Treo, so about same thickness. There is only .1 inch difference in the two.
The deciding factor is whether you need the physical keyboard. It is very different typing on a smaller touch screen (I am using compact querty which requires some double taps) so am slower but not a huge deal the way I use it. Keep on posting Guys!
Thanks!...

Advertisment removed by Big D5

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kasha963