Trophy 'world phone' has no data service on return to US

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Took Trophy to UK over the weekend. All activation steps went smoothly & phone worked as expected while overseas. However, upon return to US, the phone had no US data service. Support team checked all phone settings and plan features, found NO explanation. Had to so hard reset to get US data service again.

I am actually unhappy that the reset worked: with two more overseas trips booked and more to schedule, it appears that i will have to reset the phone upon return from each trip.

It would have been far more reassuring to have the reset fail and have phone replaced than to face prospect that reset will be needed each time i return to the US.

Anyone else travel out of the US with Verizon Trophy? What was your experience? Did you also have to do this?

On top of it all, the account setup for Gmail and yahoo simply refuse to work: after hours and hours of entering account details -- the SAME details that successfully log me in to web mail, there is neither explanation for this nor anything to do differently. All i can do is continue to re-enter the details (like an idiot - a cursing idiot) -- repeating the same dumb thing and hoping for different result. Outlook setup - the one that gives people trouble - was fine. Ita the easy ones that will not work, despite dozens of attempts, using the correct (and not mistyped) information.

I am about to throw this phone I dearly love right out the window!

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Isn't there a number you have to dial for VZW to program the phone to work with the network? Wasn't it *228? I just remember reading this a lot about old VZW world phones.

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Can you just do a backup before leaving, then restore it when you get back? inconvenient, of course. but a workaround.

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Can you just do a backup before leaving, then restore it when you get back? inconvenient, of course. but a workaround.

Yes, I could, but that shouldn't be necessary. A world phone that fails to make the international transitions that are the point of a world phone is a pretty big 'fail' in the most basic function of the device. Aside from the headaches this time, I dread upcoming trips with this phone. I so love windows phone- don't want to have any reason to like it less!

fx45guy

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem coming back from Taiwan and Japan 2-3 weeks ago.
When I landed in CA, no 3G, no data at all.

I tried *228, nothing.

I did a hard reset. That fixed it. I had no desire to want to mess around with Verizon support.

I had final Mango on the phone (from the leaked HTC ROM flash).

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem coming back from Taiwan and Japan 2-3 weeks ago.
When I landed in CA, no 3G, no data at all.

I tried *228, nothing.

I did a hard reset. That fixed it. I had no desire to want to mess around with Verizon support.

I had final Mango on the phone (from the leaked HTC ROM flash).

I also have the final RTM Mango; no official update from VZW yet. We can only hope this is somehow corrected when we finally get the official release.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I also have the final RTM Mango; no official update from VZW yet. We can only hope this is somehow corrected when we finally get the official release.
Guess there is a good chance that a Verizon ROM will work correctly on a Verizon World Phone, not to mention a firmware update from HTC as well. What's taking them so long.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
If you travel to Europe a lot, just get a GSM phone. 81% of the world uses GSM. A GSM phone is a world phone. My wife and I go to France. When we get there we just stop by a SFR or Orange store and a get a pay as you go SIM card. That's why I have an unbranded/unlocked GSM Nokia N8 and a unbranded/unlocked GSM Trophy.

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
If you travel to Europe a lot, just get a GSM phone. 81% of the world uses GSM. A GSM phone is a world phone. My wife and I go to France. When we get there we just stop by a SFR or Orange store and a get a pay as you go SIM card. That's why I have an unbranded/unlocked GSM Nokia N8 and a unbranded/unlocked GSM Trophy.

Appreciate the practicality of this, however, easier said than done. Locked in contract with Verizon for another year... cannot use unlocked GSM phone on Verizon *in the US*. Need a phone that works well internationally, yet same phone has to work where I spend most of my time... in the US.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Guess there is a good chance that a Verizon ROM will work correctly on a Verizon World Phone, not to mention a firmware update from HTC as well. What's taking them so long.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
I didn't realize Verizon was still holding back. I'm wondering if they're holding back because of the Connection Setup bug (if you have Connection Setup installed when you update to Mango it kills your 3G connection). HTC pulled Connection Setup from the Marketplace so they must know that something's up.

Anyway, have you tried rolling back and then forcing the official Mango update through Zune? That works for everyone AFAIK and it gives you the firmware updates. It might fix your problem.

vsf

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem a last week when I returned from Europe. I had to hard reset to fix the problem. Verizon support tried to help, but they couldn't. The Windows Phone web site at least shows you all the apps you have downloaded. It's a pain, but you can resend them to your phone, 1 at a time.

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem a last week when I returned from Europe. I had to hard reset to fix the problem. Verizon support tried to help, but they couldn't. The Windows Phone web site at least shows you all the apps you have downloaded. It's a pain, but you can resend them to your phone, 1 at a time.

I have to give big props to VZW global support. They checked all the phone settings and my account while I was on layover... which means they had to do this while I was offline, then call me back. They couldn't find a reason ... which is reasonable in light of a more pervasive glitch with the 'world' feature of this particular world phone. Let's hope they work this one out quickly! I don't wish it on anyone, but I am glad there are others w. same problem, because it means it might get fixed!

sigg47

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the exact same problem following a trip overseas. I hard reset and was able to get 3G back. I then applied a backup and lost it again. I've hard reset again and still can't get 3G back.

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the exact same problem following a trip overseas. I hard reset and was able to get 3G back. I then applied a backup and lost it again. I've hard reset again and still can't get 3G back.

Holy cow, that is not good news! In a nutshell, this both requires hard reset AND means loss of, well, anything that could otherwise be restored via backup. Huge problem.

Did you call support? I spoke to VZW reps about this, and want to be sure that others are putting it on the radar (no pun intended...). There are so few Trophies out there relative to the other options, and even fewer that leave the country & return again... this renders the phone basically useless as a world phone, and VZW/ MS need to know. Whether or not you needed/wanted their help, please let them know. That's our only hope for getting this problem resolved.

I have not yet received latest update (though reps checked and said it shows that I need it)...they could not explain why it had not yet been pushed to my phone. I have outside hope that update will fix this problem, yet will not be surprised if it doesn't. The only way to know will be upon return from next overseas trip in a couple of months. Not relishing the idea of another hard reset, that's for sure.

If anyone has received official update and traveled overseas (or if you plan to), please share your experiences here!

Thanks, all!

sigg47

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
I've spoken to 2 "tier 2" tech support reps over the past two days, and I did the hard reset at the behest of the one I talked to earlier. I haven't called back in with an update, but the guy I spoke to today said he had somebody call in with the same issue yesterday -- but that a hard reset took care of it. He didn't say if they were apply to restore the backup.

sigg47

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Called back in today (as requested) to report that the reset process failed. The tech I got transferred to couldn't offer any help beyond having me call *22890 -- which had no effect. The only other thing he could offer was to replace the device, but since it wasn't purchased from Verizon, that wasn't possible. Final outcome: I upgraded to an iPhone 4.

Very disappointing, really, but I guess if I'd purchased the device from Verizon I'd be happier.

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Called back in today (as requested) to report that the reset process failed. The tech I got transferred to couldn't offer any help beyond having me call *22890 -- which had no effect. The only other thing he could offer was to replace the device, but since it wasn't purchased from Verizon, that wasn't possible. Final outcome: I upgraded to an iPhone 4.

Very disappointing, really, but I guess if I'd purchased the device from Verizon I'd be happier.

Wow. I am sorry to hear that. Sorry to see you go to iOS, but understand why. It is a VZW/HTC loss: the phone is a pretty big failure as a global phone unless they can fix this, and VZW offers no other WP7 phones.

Thanks for letting them know, and for sharing your experiences here. I hope I don't have to join you on iOS... but if next trip has same result (absent options), I probably will.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb