Trouble setting up new Surface Book out of the box, can I get some help?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Trouble setting up new Surface Book out of the box

I just opened my new Surface Book. I tried to log in using my Microsoft account, but it says "The username or password is incorrect. Try again." I know I am using the correct username and password as it works fine from my PC sitting right next to the Surface Book.
When I click on the "Connect to Internet" icon in the bottom right corner of the screen it says "no connections are available." Again, I know there is good Wi-Fi signal in my office as it is working fine on my other devices.
This is fresh out of the box so I have not been able to try anything else so far.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Bluerain

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
I remember reading someone on this forum had the same problem. I forgot how he got it to work,so do a search the answer is here.

Don't do the reset ,because there's a simpler way. He held 2 buttons down and it cleared and was able to sign in.

He called MS support for the fix.

If I find it I'll post it here.

Micropel

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Volume up and Power will allow you to do a soft reset.
This should fix it but what I did was a full hard reset before I did anything.
This allowed the system to reset the Factory image.

Bluerain

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
I found this fix from an Amazon reviewer who had the same problem.

"If you have this problem (it prompts you directly for Other User) and you have no way to login, or do the setup,
you will have to reset the device.

simply hold down the SHIFT key while touching the screen Power option, and choosing Shutdown.
KEEP holding the SHIFT key until you see the menu of options.

Choose the last option (Tools/Advanced) which lets you reset the device.
You are going to follow those steps. When you are done, it will re-initialized the device, the way it should have been,
and you should be able to setup the device properly and get logged in."

Talldog

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
My wife and I both had this issue with our SBs. I was told by MS support that they're pulling them off the assembly line and running them through setup as a quality check, so yeah, you have to reset them.

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
I had the same issue and got on the MS support chat and I was told to do a restart amd when it restarted it started the configuration. The first thing it did was set up a connection to my wireless network.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paul89895