Trouble with syncing Phone >> Outlook.com

vk1971

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I have minor inconvenience with my 822 (WP 8.1 Denim) while syncing phone contacts to those on outlook.com. Here is what happens:
Lets say I have following contacts (phone numbers) on outlook.com
A
B
C
D

and those contacts are perfectly synced with phone.

I deleted contacts A and B in outlook.com, synced phone with my MS account, but the contacts A and B are still in my phone contacts, while they are absent in outlook (as they should be).
I even deleted all the contacts in outlook.com and synced phone again, but at no avail. Contacts are still there in the phone.
Trouble is that there are lots of entries that I wanted to delete and it's crazy to do it manually.

Any suggestions, guys?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
In 8.1 your phone duplicates contacts in Outlook and Outlook.com.

I've not found a way around this double entry once it occurs other than manual delete. It is not clear to me why the redundancy was built in. One may be your Microsoft Account (Outlook) and one eMail Account (Outlook.com), but yeah it seems like a bug.

vk1971

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
TY for your reply.
Is there a way to delete all the contacts in the phone at once? I mean "select all" approach.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Probably through your PC browser would be easiest. Just log into Outlook.com and access People.

Capture.pngCapture03.png

I can't find any "Contacts" under my Microsoft Account. The above would wipe out all your saved email addresses as well. though. Not sure if those are doubled into Outlook & Outlook.com

vk1971

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
You didn't read my initial post, did you?
I deleted contacts A and B in outlook.com, synced phone with my MS account, but the contacts A and B are still in my phone contacts, while they are absent in outlook (as they should be).
I even deleted all the contacts in outlook.com and synced phone again, but at no avail. Contacts are still there in the phone.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You didn't read my initial post, did you?

I did. I was trying to address the redundancy portion of it and bulk deleting as well. I think you are getting an "echo" where deleting on one (say Outlook) gets synced back from the other (i.e.: Outlook.com) and you are stuck in a loop.

I may have found a way out of that.

On the phone open People > elipses ("..." in bottom right) > settings > filter contacts > uncheck Outlook.

Now you should not get the echo and the deletions on the phone should stay that way. Deleted.

wp_ss_20151215_0002.jpgwp_ss_20151215_0003.jpg

Then from the main People page > ... > select contacts > ... >select all contacts

By toggling various accounts to show in Filter and/or Hiding contacts without phone numbers, you should be able to clean things up how you need them.

Hope this new info helps.

vk1971

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
In the Filter Contacts sub-menu I have only two things to select: Hotmail and Skype.
I've unchecked them both.

result: there are no contacts now in my People.

Now what? Should I delete all of my contacts from outlook.com and sync the phone?

P.S. Oh, btw, when I say outlook I mean outlook.com, i.e. MS's free email
My WP is 8.1 Denim, OS version 8.10.14219.341 if that matters.

vk1971

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure I know what end result you are trying to achieve...
I just want my phone contacts to be in sync with my contacts in outlook.com (hotmail)

If I have contacts A, B, C and D in outlook.com (hotmail) and I delete contacts A and B, they should be also deleted on the phone.
So, when I delete contacts A and B in outlook.com (hotmail), which means now I have contacts C and D only, I want the same contacts on my phone, i.e. C and D and not by any means A, B, C and D.

I have no idea how else can I explain, what I want

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99