Turn around for Microsoft Windows Phones

Ciscoca

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
Hello, Dan, and Everyone :

We all know for price point and specs included, Microsoft phones offer a lot, but of course not just that is what will help in the end to increase Microsoft's market share.

What do you believe will be the turn around from Microsoft in the mobile business? Having the surface pro engineers take over the mobile business? An increase in popular apps in the Microsoft store? Or is the more to it?

milkmandec

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
The only way that they can turn it around is to get the developers to support the platform. You can have continuum, the best hardware and etc and it will still fail without app support. I begrudgingly had to switch to an iPhone last week because apps that I use are leaving the platform. Once I switched I was pissed immediately because of all of the Microsoft apps that wasn't even available for WP that I didn't know about. I'm not talking about the things that are built-in to the OS that had to be a separate app on IOS. When and if the app ecosystem on WP is close to what's on IOS i will switch back immediately. Plus the apps that are on both platforms integrate better with IOS have more features on IOS. The Bluetooth integration with my vehicle was hit or miss when connecting or even when playing music. That's always been the case with different wp and vehicles. Even when I connected it to the vehicle using the USB port it still wouldn't control the music that was downloaded to the phone. The iPhone just works whether is on Bluetooth or via USB. I'm not talking about using it with carplay. Carplay sucks and i will never use it even though my vehicle has it. I will miss my live tiles on WP. I hate the interface on IOS. I've had a WP since wp 7. I had an iPhone and Android before that. There was some traction with apps on wp in the last two years but the momentum has been lost while MS reboot in the mobile space.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
The only way that they can turn it around is to get the developers to support the platform. You can have continuum, the best hardware and etc and it will still fail without app support. I begrudgingly had to switch to an iPhone last week because apps that I use are leaving the platform. Once I switched I was pissed immediately because of all of the Microsoft apps that wasn't even available for WP that I didn't know about. I'm not talking about the things that are built-in to the OS that had to be a separate app on IOS. When and if the app ecosystem on WP is close to what's on IOS i will switch back immediately. Plus the apps that are on both platforms integrate better with IOS have more features on IOS. The Bluetooth integration with my vehicle was hit or miss when connecting or even when playing music. That's always been the case with different wp and vehicles. Even when I connected it to the vehicle using the USB port it still wouldn't control the music that was downloaded to the phone. The iPhone just works whether is on Bluetooth or via USB. I'm not talking about using it with carplay. Carplay sucks and i will never use it even though my vehicle has it. I will miss my live tiles on WP. I hate the interface on IOS. I've had a WP since wp 7. I had an iPhone and Android before that. There was some traction with apps on wp in the last two years but the momentum has been lost while MS reboot in the mobile space.
Yes. They knew when needing to overhaul Windows, what could occur...or at least I hope they did.
I am very fortunate in my case. I use very little, or have very little need for most apps. Youtube, WC App or forum apps, email, Book reading apps, and a couple others. So I have little issues moving from platform to platform. I cannot tolerate Android anymore. So it is either iOS or W10M. The iPhone will always be solid, and Apple probably can not afford or is not willing to do what Microsoft did even if they had to their mobile. As simplistic as the iphone is, I can still do twice as much faster on a W10M phone than I can there. Forget about Android I have a hard time sending a sms sometimes...as the UI has never been seamless their. I am only waiting for the right W10M hardware myself. I see the application situation and it is hurting the growth, but to me it is not an issue.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Does anyone believe that what ever MS has coming for the mobile market will be for the trench phone user or will be priced at a reasonable level?

I'm afraid that whatever the Surface device is will be for a niche market and priced out of sight.

Our only hope is for other OEM's for see the potential for the intermediate market and provide a product for the rest of us. Fat chance of that happening.

Ciscoca

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
I feel as though some partnership with android is the only viable possibility. Windows always seems open to mix with other operating systems, and makes transferring of photos, and other files with phone companion easy. I really do want Microsoft to do well with their phone mobile business, because like what many have commented here, windows phones do look really nice as far as design, and with the live tiles. Out of all the mobile OS's I have seen windows 10 seems to be the more easier one to navigate through.

Ciscoca

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
Given how expensive phones are getting nowadays it will definitely be over $1000 well that figure would be Canadian for me which I would not doubt ha ha. Taking into account of the specs are more of a beast than what the hp elite x3 offers in the end it would make sense.

Ciscoca

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
Microsoft has no where near the volume of manufacturers that Android has, such as samsung, lg, motorola, etc to name a few. Would branching out to these companies to see if you can get them on board to take on windows 10 a good move? and would quality improve for the windows mobile 10 user?

Ciscoca

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
If it will never be Samsung because they want to have all the control, then maybe LG or HTC would be other ideal options which may never happen. Having alcatel on board with idol 4s and 820 snapdragon, and the specs to me are better than the android version, Microsoft needs more of this. Another options which may never happen would be like the one plus series carrying windows, or an emerging competitor that may come around to be similar to one plus and carry windows OS.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I was waiting to see and was wondering with Huawei thinking if they'll decide one day again to put windows on some of their hardware, but they design they're own CPUs now and are deep into it. Maybe Microsoft could cut a deal with them and support the Kirin processors. I guess there's always options.

Ciscoca

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
Another consideration from Microsoft to make a turn around in the mobile market, is it all possible for a smartphone made by Microsoft could also include a feature that would allow the phone to project onto a wall for showing, such as a presentation?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Another consideration from Microsoft to make a turn around in the mobile market, is it all possible for a smartphone made by Microsoft could also include a feature that would allow the phone to project onto a wall for showing, such as a presentation?
There are phones that did that before actually. Don't think they took off.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

Microsoft is not looking for a turnaround in mobile market, it is looking for the next big thing for enterprise. Look at how happy they are in the enterprise interest of hololens and that where their focus is, they probably dont even understand how big it could be for consumers especially gamers.

Vasil Dechkov

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
Blackberry did this. It didn't work.

There are phones that did that before actually. Don't think they took off.

Things don't always work first try, or they just don't get enough attention. For example, the Dell Venue Pro had a slider keyboard but it didn't get almost any attention because:

1) It was a Windows Phone
2) The keyboard at that time (2011) made it look like it wasn't an up to date smartphone.

But now, the Blackberry Priv succeeded (at least it got lots of attention, idk about sales) and all the reviewers I watched seem to like it.

Sent from mTalk

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Things don't always work first try, or they just don't get enough attention. For example, the Dell Venue Pro had a slider keyboard but it didn't get almost any attention because:

1) It was a Windows Phone
2) The keyboard at that time (2011) made it look like it wasn't an up to date smartphone.

But now, the Blackberry Priv succeeded (at least it got lots of attention, idk about sales) and all the reviewers I watched seem to like it.

Sent from mTalk

Actually, the Palm Pre had a portrait slider in 2009. It got a lot of attention but using that form-factor isn't the best of analogies. A projector is a pretty niche feature and requires tradeoffs that might be cumbersome for a mainstream phone.

The Venue Pro was low-profile even amongst Windows Phones also.

And now, the Priv hasn't really succeeded. It got some attention and mixed reviews but people are really looking at this "Mercury".

Ciscoca

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
Thanks everyone for giving your input. It's nice to hear all of your opinions in a nice manner. If Microsoft is looking for the next big thing like a fold able phone with ARM, do you believe if it's not ready by 2018 is that the end for Microsoft?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Thanks everyone for giving your input. It's nice to hear all of your opinions in a nice manner. If Microsoft is looking for the next big thing like a fold able phone with ARM, do you believe if it's not ready by 2018 is that the end for Microsoft?

Nahh. It seems Microsoft when they are ready will pioneer something. Unless Samsung puts W10 on their 'foldable' phone before Microsoft does, I do not see them losing heart there. However it is always better late than never.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

MS is a huge company that can afford to take their time on a project and do it right. I wouldn't lose faith yet.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo