Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
First post on this forum. I just realized I can watch my OTA via my One S. My tuner is by Terk, not a supported brand. Is there a way around this for control, import IR commands? Worst case I could program my remote to enter the commands on the corresponding buttons when Xbox is the source. But I'd rather keep it within Xbox.

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Is your tuner an actual standalone device (like a cable set-top-box)? If it has HDMI out, you can plug it into the Xbox and leave it as-is. The Xbox might be able to IR blast to control it (set up device control in TV settings).

The WinTV USB tuner is just a component that works with PCs and the Xbox. You do need a USB tuner if you want the Xbox to control TV itself. Instead of a separate box, you plug the cable directly into the Xbox (via the tuner).

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Its a stand alone tuner, Terk. It doesn't recognize the brand, thus this post. Is there a way to import IR commands to allow control through the Xbox?

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
You can manually enter your remote code, although I wasn't able to find what the codes would be for the Terk tuner.

If you can find the remote code (sometimes 4-5 digits with possibly a number), you can enter that into the Xbox and it'll control it. Usually a web search would find the remote code, although I just did a quick search and found one thread on an AV forum where someone was looking for the code, but no responses.

Other than that, you could just try different brands of STBs and see if it finds a working one. Might take a while but that's about the only way if you can't find the code any other way.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
It's a pretty generic remote, couldn't find the code either. It looks like it's made by Voxx, which also is Audiovox. I'd like to see a list somewhere of what boxes are supported in general on the Xbox.

jlwaters11

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
First post on this forum. I just realized I can watch my OTA via my One S. My tuner is by Terk, not a supported brand. Is there a way around this for control, import IR commands? Worst case I could program my remote to enter the commands on the corresponding buttons when Xbox is the source. But I'd rather keep it within Xbox.

The most glaring issue with Xbox One OTA TV, stems from Microsoft going back on their promise to bring OTA TV DVR capabilities to XBox, they promised in 2015 only to put it on hold because as they say there wasn't a high enough demand.

Imo, Microsoft has really missed the boat on this feature. There are quite alot of people wanting to "CUT THE CORD" and ditch traditional cable. But in order to do that Ota TV DVR capability is needed. Tevos cost 150-200$ and then have a monthly subscription on Top of that.

If this feature was added you'd have for $250-350$ a device that not only is a great gaming system but also doubles as a HDR blue ray player as well as a OTA DVR..It'd be hard for people to overlook such a device. The value would be to great 1 device to replace 3.
I think you'd get a different market segment, nit the traditional gaming market but those who are cord cutters. You would be exposing those new customers to your eco-system. To me its a no-brainer

To me without DVR function, the TV APP is useless and there really isn't a benefit to watching TV via X-BOX ONE s.
I just finished setting up a MOHU antenna to give OTA TV to 3 rooms, I'm trying to find a reasonable DVR solution. I also just recently bought. An XBOX ONE S, and was excited to see DVR come only to be disappointed when I read that it never got done. It would have solved alot of problems.

If any of you want this feature please do to the Xbox page and upvote it so it gets done iirc, there are 6k in upvotes but apparently they say that's not enough so the more the better. To me it would really make the Xbox one stand out from the rest and would really solidify it as entertainment hub of the house.

ryanlrobinson

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I wish I could remember the brand name, but hopefully what I can remember is enough to get you or somebody else on the right track. Before the TV Tuner came out to connect to USB, we ran our OTA antenna through another box. That box was primarily advertised as for use converting digital signals into analog TVs, but it also had digital outputs to HDMI among others. And it came with a PVR, although you had to plug in another hard drive for that.

Antenna plugged into it. It plugged into the HDMI In on the Xbox One. OneGuide support was there, except that it showed all channels potentially in our area - it didn't filter out channels we didn't actually get the way the TV Tuner does. I think I could use the IR blaster on the Xbox to control it, but I primarily used a Logitech Harmony universal remote. I can't promise it would work with your antenna, but you probably could get away with Xbox not supporting your antenna as long as that box supports the antenna and Xbox supports the box.

I sold the box a few months after concluding the USB TV Tuner worked better for our needs (no PVR, but live pause + better OneGuide integration + kept the HDMI In free + less boxes and remotes to keep track of).

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Just a personal recommendation for anyone looking for an OTA DVR...

Plex has a DVR feature that lets you record OTA TV through a computer and then play it on any device with the Plex app (including the Xbox). It supports a couple different Windows tuners, including the official Xbox tuner.
Live TV playback is available on PC and some other devices, Xbox is supposed to get it eventually.

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...2Fwww.plex.tv%2Flive-tv-dvr%2F&token=Ez5wcLeg

It is paid ($7 a month, $50 a year, $160 lifetime) but it's a pretty convenient way to stream OTA TV through to multiple devices with a DVR, and I think it's the only option for Xbox other than HDMI in.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb