UK EE (Orange) Portico Problems

YouMeanNo

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Hello... Help!

After updating to portico I seem to have avoided the screen brightness bug but have inherited two other bugs that I can't seem to find the answers to...

First, and most importantly, my Lumia 920 can't seem to decided on the signal strength or even is there is any signal present. I thought this might be an issue with the keep wifi on feature but the problem persists after disabling it and a soft reset. When I unlock my phone sometimes it will display the greyed out bars with the "no" symbol (circle with a line through it), sometimes a G, 3G, 3G+ or H+ and often will cycle or jump about as it is being displayed in the exact same location.

Secondly, the proximity sensor no longer wakes the display when I take the phone away from my ear during a call - very annoying when dealing with voicemail.

Are these known bugs that people have had and solved? Are you experiencing any other bugs in the UK?

Cheers for any help! If you haven't updated yet... Good luck...

TheXFather

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem with Orange Romania i have a htc 8s so it's either orange related or i dunno but the signal strength and stuff is exactly how u described it i dunno about any fix.
I went to the store about this, they changed my sim, the signal keeps going up and down and changing connection type from g 3g 3g+ h+ but i don't go to no signal now.
I would love to have full strength and 3g all the game but with all the types of connections my internet works just fine, so it may only be display issue.

about the second problem i dunno what to say about that, maybe there is some dirt around your senzor, or i dunno what to say. my friend had a problem like this on a htc but he had an older windows phone. so i can't advise antyhing.
also ty, i wanted to post about the network issue to.

YouMeanNo

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
It appears that dust may be causing the sensor issue and the timing is coincidental... Unless it also has something to do with a change in sensitivity.

From another thread: it appears a bug has been introduced with the network scanning and now if the highest connection speed is set to 4G (settings>mobile network) the phone can't settle on a lesser speed and constantly scans/switches. Switching the highest speed to 3G seems to have fixed the problem, 4G isn't available on Orange anyway and I am also now seeing 3G+ which I didn't before.

hamphlet

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Got my Lumia 920 updated yesterday on UK EE & immediately noticed a big improvement in the signal at home. Now seeing up to 3G+ where in the past I had been lucky to get H. At work though it's a very different kettle of fish. There the signal was always poor too, but whilst I have again seen a slight improvement I have found that the phone completely loses signal & doesn't get it back. This required a few restarts yesterday. Last night as I was leaving I noticed it was showing 'No Service' again. I drove the three miles home & this did not change at any point on the way. I had to restart the phone to get it working again. I had a look this morning & noticed that the phone was set to 4G for highest connection speed. I don't have a 4G sim so I've changed it to 3G. Can't see this making much difference, but you never know. If not I'll have to head back to the Orange shop.

hamphlet

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Following previous post I found that dropping the max connection speed to 3G from 4G has indeed stopped the phone losing service. However another new issue sprang up last night. The phone switched itself off & wouldn't switch back on. I eventually found out that pressing & holding the on button & the volume down button at the same time for 10 seconds would bring it back to life & it did. Not good though. This never happened before Portico. May have to do a full hard reset, but not sure how to do that.

klcow

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
It seems these problems are being faced by lots of EE users as well. I am on orange as well and the signal will be fine for half a day then no signal for the rest of the day. Called into orange helpline, they said it could be due to overloading at cell sites. Considering that now T-mob and orange users are sharing cell sites, it could be possible that there is an overloading. I asked if there was any plan to fix this, they said no :(

hallam555

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Same here, lost signal straight after the update. Orange told me they where working with Nokia to fix the problem but not heard anything as yet so rang orange back just then and there was no record of me calling last time and the lady hadn't heard of any problems with the 920.

I've just switched the internet to 3G so ill see how I get on with that.

I've also had the black screen of death quite a lot and i have to soft reset the phone regularly. This wasn't what i was expecting when i bought a Nokia phone. If I had to give a rating on my experience so far of WP8 and Nokia, id have to say 4/10. Not been the amazing experience I was being made to believe id have.

lbs2320

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Got my Lumia 920 updated yesterday on UK EE & immediately noticed a big improvement in the signal at home. Now seeing up to 3G+ where in the past I had been lucky to get H. At work though it's a very different kettle of fish. There the signal was always poor too, but whilst I have again seen a slight improvement I have found that the phone completely loses signal & doesn't get it back. This required a few restarts yesterday. Last night as I was leaving I noticed it was showing 'No Service' again. I drove the three miles home & this did not change at any point on the way. I had to restart the phone to get it working again. I had a look this morning & noticed that the phone was set to 4G for highest connection speed. I don't have a 4G sim so I've changed it to 3G. Can't see this making much difference, but you never know. If not I'll have to head back to the Orange shop.

Not 100% sure but I was led to believe H was better than 3G!

Bertie Wooster

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I bought the Lumia 920 from Phones4U on Saturday. It seems to be an EE phone, I'm on Orange and the phone can't see any update.

I wonder if they have pulled the update?

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
^^ Its more than likely shipped with the latest build. What OS version are you running?
Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Board Express

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi Bertie, yes, it appears it does need updating. If I'm not mistaken, Portico is: 8.0.10211.204.

I'm surprised it didn't ship with the latest build.

VegaNovus

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi Bertie, yes, it appears it does need updating. If I'm not mistaken, Portico is: 8.0.10211.204.

I'm surprised it didn't ship with the latest build.

The phone has probably been sat in P4U for a while and not opened, so therefore not updated.

Portico should be available for the phone, maybe plug it into a PC?

Bertie Wooster

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
@ VegaNovus - I don't think there's any way to update it via the PC. (Except by flashing it with Navifirm, voiding the warranty and possibly bricking the phone.)

VegaNovus

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Oh doesn't it? Well they messed that up then, not everyone has wi-fi. I've never personally never connected my 920 or 820 to my PC.
I don't know why portico isn't showing as available, maybe release is being throttled. What does the carrier say in settings > about ??

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I also noticed the speeds jumping around on my EE 920. If it carries on, I'll be complaining.

dlusted

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I've had a few issues with regards to signal since Portico....

But, I called EE and eventually got through to tech support (after threats of cancelling and seek legal advice) and it was explained to me that the issue maybe caused due to the the cell tower my phone is connecting to is 4G enabled near work (3 miles away) and they're adjusting the gain so 4G will be accessible over a greater area causing such signal lose across all spectrums....

So, it could be both faulty firmware and what the engi said at tech support....

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

3G+ and H are the same thing, the portico update just changes that. So we have 3G, 3G+ and H+ where as before it was 3G, H and then H+.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers