UK Lumia Users - How to Officially Complain about OneDrive 'mis-selling'

wplee

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
NOTE: This thread is for UK Lumia Owners ONLY who purchased their devices for 30GB OneDrive

I am a Microsoft Fan, who bought my Lumia in good faith. But I feel strongly that:

• I feel that I was mis-sold my Lumia device with "Bait & Switch" sales tactics such as true cost of OneDrive
  • 30GB OneDrive storage was (and still is as of 10th Nov 15) marketed as a key reason to buy the Lumia
  • Unlike perhaps other cloud rivals, NO WHERE on the sales page does it make clear OneDrive storage is temporary
  • I could not agree to OneDrive Terms & Conditions until AFTER I had purchased my Lumia

If you are in the UK and feel the same, please now make your Complaint Official by following the steps below:

Step 1) UK Consumer Ombudsman - Please complain here online with details of your Lumia purchase. I have sent them all my documentation including screenshots of the offers. But if you feel you was mis-sold please also complain here because one person alone will unlikely make a difference.

Step 2) Advertising Standards Authority - Here I complain that Microsoft UK is still marketing OneDrive 30GB now (eg, Lumia 950 even though they now this will be reduced early 2016) and have included screenshots. I feel this is clear unfair trading on Microsoft's part. Hopefully the ASA will ask Microsoft to update their website soon.

I am a big Microsoft Fan, but believe that while I still use my Lumia (and the Division is still actively trading) that I should be 'grand-fathered' into my current storage plan as an existing Lumia/OneDrive user. I'm not asking for free storage forever, just while I own the Lumia I already paid money for.

If you live in the UK and feel the same, together we may be able to fight back. I really hope Microsoft will do a U-turn for existing customers and will update this thread as and when I receive updates...

wplee

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
For USA Members:

This is not a Group Class Action lawsuit or anything like that.

Here in the UK we simply have strong consumer/advertising bodies funded by the Government who protect us from Bait & Switch tactics. We simply want Microsoft UK to honour the offer they provided and despite what the USA team may say, our consumer laws overrule others elsewhere if found to be broken.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Good luck with this. I hope MS gets the message.

I'm not in the UK, but I do believe that MS needs something significant to knock some sense into them.

wplee

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Good luck with this. I hope MS gets the message.

I'm not in the UK, but I do believe that MS needs something significant to knock some sense into them.

Thank you for the moral support.

The ASA have emailed me to say they will advise if they will be taking any further action within the next 7 days.

Again, if anyone reading this in the UK and feel you should retain the OneDrive storage your Lumia came with then please follow the instructions above.

wplee

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
UPDATE 16th Nov:

Still waiting to hear back from both the ASA and UK Consumer Ombudsman. Should have a reply within the next 2 days...

wplee

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
UPDATE 25th Nov:

Complaint is still with the ASA & UK Consumer Ombudsman. It would seem from this amount of time that this is actively being taken seriously. Once again, any news will be posted here.

wplee

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Update 2nd Dec 2015:

Finally had one of two responses from the UK Consumer Ombudsman:

"We have contacted the company to ascertain if it was prepared to allow us to review your complaint. The company has not responded despite chasers being sent."

So they have been IGNORING the UK Consumer Ombudsman. What a disgrace of a company.

So basically they are now suggesting to take my complaint forward I make a Trading Standards complaint. The problem is a Trading Standards complaint is serious and could result in the courts or even visits to actual offices etc which is dramatic.

I've decided that I'm going to wait to hear back from our second active complaint with the Advertising Standards Authority before I make my next move. The ASA are already overdue a reply so I will chase this up this week.

I'm losing all faith as a customer in Microsoft. Its hugely disappointing that they have simply ignored our UK consumer body over here. But I will update the thread again later this week with the next step...

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
manu0620