Unsure android user. Help!

happynoodleboy

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I use GMail on my phone and it works perfectly. If you set it up like an exchange account instead of a Google account it works much better.

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I use GMail on my phone and it works perfectly. If you set it up like an exchange account instead of a Google account it works much better.

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express
+1. Gmail works great for me. It is my most used email account.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

HKAce

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
actually gmail is intergratted into wp, in fact all email accounts/socail networks accounts can be set up right into the wp phone like mine does

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Heh, k--what's the better webmail option with equally massive flexibility, organizational capacity, and quality UI?

Microsoft Exchange.

Exchange is great, but it is not free.

I chose Gmail as my primary email address, since I am a Linux user as well as a Windows user. Hotmail only supports POP3 in Evolution. MAPI, which Outlook uses for Hotmail, is proprietary to Microsoft and cannot be used with Evolution.

Gmail supports IMAP in any email client, including Evolution.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I have no issues with gmail on my wp, but I now use hotmail as my primary account. I will say that the gmail app on an android running ice cream sandwich is very nice.

mb-dape

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
I will try to give you my opinions as a Windows Mobile, Symbian, Android and Windows Phone user, and to give some balance to the many unfounded Android opinions here.

I changed from Android top WP for a while because of how MS described Windows Phone 7 to be the future, the had rebuilt Windows Mobile from the ground, they would go "all in" with WP7 etc. And because my computers and home server runs Win.

Windows Phone has the looks, definitly. But as with most blonde beautiful girls, it is just a shallow outside and when the first excitement is gone, there is nothing at the inside. ;)

Seriously, I dont consider me to be a really advanced user, but it was just too many features and options missing in WP, that I had been used to having in Nokias from the early 2000 and even in Windows Mobile and definitly in Android.

The biggest phone magazine here made a comparsion of the three big phone OSes and while they had good things to say about WP too, their conclusion was that WP was definitly the OS that you will get bored with first. I agree with that, stylish and minimal is not always a good thing.

Sure, WP has the nicest and smoothest interface, but apart from that I can not come up with one thing that WP can do that Android cant do better.

Android has better integration and options for SkyDrive, an offical OneNote app with SkyDrive sync, just to mention the parts which are usually considered WPs strenght.

To make another example, in Android I can have my SMS redirected to a locked private inbox or a standard inbox depending on which contact is sending, great when using the phone at office and home. I can have the phone not showing the content of a new SMS when notifying me meaning I can safely have my friends playing games or trying apps on it.

And when it comes to speed, Android is not nearly as smooth as WP, but in Android you can have your shortcuts to options and things on the home screen or in the notification drawer which you have to browse through three-four menus in WP to find. Although the interface may not be as fast, you can still access and do your everyday tasks just as quick or even quicker in Android.

And while the WP OS itself may be more stable then Android, I think it is the opposite when it comes to app quality. My experience is that Android versions of apps is in 9 of 10 cases less buggy, definitly have more features and are much better supported with updates and fixes. Like Spotify for WP, it is so smooth, but also so incredibly buggy and hasnt got updated ONCE and is lacking options for better bit rate etc. Even the Internet Explorer in WP restarted my phone a few times a month while I never had a web browser restarting the phone in Android.

I think and hope WP8 will be a huge improvement in many areas and will probably address many issues found in WP7 but since the disappointment WP7 was I try to not have too high expectations.

As a side note I can tell you that native apps (like Android has) were seen as the devil himself among the WP community, until it was announced that WP8 will support native apps... Now it is considered a gift from God.

To summarize my way too long and in probably many eyes too negative post, I think it comes down to one thing for you to consider:

Do you want a good looking, smooth, simple, not so smart phone? Which is good for the basic tasks? You use it mainly because it is necessary to have a phone? Go WP.

Or do you want a device which is more like a small computer, not so stylish but with the latest software and endless options and possibilities? Do you enjoy playing with your phone on your spare time and try out new things, customize, tweak etc? Go Android.
And if you are willing to spend an evening to learn how to install custom roms you will give your phone almost eternal life. Androids community support is simply unbelievable.

croceamors

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm a first month adopter of the WP7. I still use my Samsung Omnia 7 as a primary phone and I'm definitely not bored by my phone for a single second still. It has everything I need and that's the most important.

I also have an iPhone for development purposes and here it is a complete different story. iOS is the most boring OS that I ever used.

Sent from my OMNIA7 using Board Express

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I will try to give you my opinions as a Windows Mobile, Symbian, Android and Windows Phone user, and to give some balance to the many unfounded Android opinions here.

I changed from Android top WP for a while because of how MS described Windows Phone 7 to be the future, the had rebuilt Windows Mobile from the ground, they would go "all in" with WP7 etc. And because my computers and home server runs Win.

Windows Phone has the looks, definitly. But as with most blonde beautiful girls, it is just a shallow outside and when the first excitement is gone, there is nothing at the inside. ;)

Seriously, I dont consider me to be a really advanced user, but it was just too many features and options missing in WP, that I had been used to having in Nokias from the early 2000 and even in Windows Mobile and definitly in Android.

The biggest phone magazine here made a comparsion of the three big phone OSes and while they had good things to say about WP too, their conclusion was that WP was definitly the OS that you will get bored with first. I agree with that, stylish and minimal is not always a good thing.

Sure, WP has the nicest and smoothest interface, but apart from that I can not come up with one thing that WP can do that Android cant do better.

Android has better integration and options for SkyDrive, an offical OneNote app with SkyDrive sync, just to mention the parts which are usually considered WPs strenght.

To make another example, in Android I can have my SMS redirected to a locked private inbox or a standard inbox depending on which contact is sending, great when using the phone at office and home. I can have the phone not showing the content of a new SMS when notifying me meaning I can safely have my friends playing games or trying apps on it.

And when it comes to speed, Android is not nearly as smooth as WP, but in Android you can have your shortcuts to options and things on the home screen or in the notification drawer which you have to browse through three-four menus in WP to find. Although the interface may not be as fast, you can still access and do your everyday tasks just as quick or even quicker in Android.

And while the WP OS itself may be more stable then Android, I think it is the opposite when it comes to app quality. My experience is that Android versions of apps is in 9 of 10 cases less buggy, definitly have more features and are much better supported with updates and fixes. Like Spotify for WP, it is so smooth, but also so incredibly buggy and hasnt got updated ONCE and is lacking options for better bit rate etc. Even the Internet Explorer in WP restarted my phone a few times a month while I never had a web browser restarting the phone in Android.

I think and hope WP8 will be a huge improvement in many areas and will probably address many issues found in WP7 but since the disappointment WP7 was I try to not have too high expectations.

As a side note I can tell you that native apps (like Android has) were seen as the devil himself among the WP community, until it was announced that WP8 will support native apps... Now it is considered a gift from God.

To summarize my way too long and in probably many eyes too negative post, I think it comes down to one thing for you to consider:

Do you want a good looking, smooth, simple, not so smart phone? Which is good for the basic tasks? You use it mainly because it is necessary to have a phone? Go WP.

Or do you want a device which is more like a small computer, not so stylish but with the latest software and endless options and possibilities? Do you enjoy playing with your phone on your spare time and try out new things, customize, tweak etc? Go Android.
And if you are willing to spend an evening to learn how to install custom roms you will give your phone almost eternal life. Androids community support is simply unbelievable.

Have to disagree with you a little... I would say IOS is the one you get bored of first. I've had my HD7 for a year and, while there are things I don't like about my device, and there ARE definite gaps in the OS, I'm still not bored using it. By contrast, I bought my wife the new iPad for our anniversary and on the first day we downloaded all kinds of apps so there'd be "lots to do" on it, and I was bored of the OS within a few hours of playing with it. It felt sluggish and lifeless compared to my "outdated" phone.

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Sure. But if you're serious about Gmail, the integration into Android is so tight that WP will be lacking.

If hotmail is your primary account dump Gmail and you can use multiple identities with hotmail. You can use that to download your gmail e-mails.

derek533

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Like you, I was thinking of making the switch. I had a Droid X and switched to the only device that is compatible with Verizon which is the HTC Trophy.

It's been a little over a month since I switched, and I got to be honest, I don't miss the DX one bit. To me, the overall user experience trounces all over the power of Android for what I used it for. Sure the customization was nice, and so was free wifi-tether. However, the lag, sluggishness of opening apps, and random reboots was enough to make me look elsewhere. I have an OG iPhone and an iPad and know that iOs while useful, is extremely boring. So I chose WP and couldn't be happier.

In the end, you need to assess what's most important to you. If you want a semi-laptop replacement in your pocket that also makes phone calls and texts, Android is the way to go. If you want a great communications device that also has apps and games, WP is the way to go.

Flippzii

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site

I think this just makes my decision even clearer. Know i want a phone that you doesn't have to tweak to make it perfectly smooth I just want perfect from start. Even if it means that I will get lack of features. Because I have already been through the modding stage now I want a phone that works.

I'm tiered of android because after you have rooted it you open so many doors but at the same time you know have to look after it. If you're doing the wrong tweak you can make the device worse instead of making it better. Android you don't tweak it at all it will get laggy and you have to "clean" up the device (cleaning cache etc).

I'm going to keep my galaxy s2 so have something to play and fool around with and when I want a phone that just works I will go with my wp phone!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I was a "power Android user" a while ago and I customized like crazy the whole time. I even decompiled .apk's and modified some to get a matching look for everything if I could.

The thing is the customization kind of took over my life and I was never happy how my phone looked no matter how "clean" it looked. I was happy with it for a few days at most but then I just felt the urge to customize again just because I could.

I decided to try out Windows Phone a few months ago and since then I have never ever looked back. The OS is beautiful and uniform and pretty much all the apps are designed with the metro theme in mind so everything looks very uniform and sexy even if you install a lot of apps.

Because of Android is so open and you can do whatever you like with it it also is very unstable at times and the apps force closes a lot and the OS crashes which makes for a so-so experience a lot of the time.

Windows Phone is a breath of fresh air and it's so nice to use and I still often just unlock my phone and play around and get lost in the beatiful OS that just works.

CDG

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I have been an Android user for two years and at present have a GSM Galaxy Nexus, running jellybean.

I agree with everything the previous poster has said specially the customization taking over ones life part.

I play with my GNex from time to time and miss a couple of the apps on it but that's all.

JB is much smoother than ICS but nothing compared to WP. It always feels needlessly complicated compared to the clean and stylish WP OS.

To each their own, good luck with your choice.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I was a "power Android user" a while ago and I customized like crazy the whole time. I even decompiled .apk's and modified some to get a matching look for everything if I could.

The thing is the customization kind of took over my life and I was never happy how my phone looked no matter how "clean" it looked. I was happy with it for a few days at most but then I just felt the urge to customize again just because I could.

I decided to try out Windows Phone a few months ago and since then I have never ever looked back. The OS is beautiful and uniform and pretty much all the apps are designed with the metro theme in mind so everything looks very uniform and sexy even if you install a lot of apps.

Because of Android is so open and you can do whatever you like with it it also is very unstable at times and the apps force closes a lot and the OS crashes which makes for a so-so experience a lot of the time.

Windows Phone is a breath of fresh air and it's so nice to use and I still often just unlock my phone and play around and get lost in the beatiful OS that just works.

Exactly!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria