Upcoming ios 5 announcement

brandon bailey#AC

May 30, 2011
Visit site
as some of you may know ios 5 will be announced june 6 and i couldn't be anymore excited not because i like apple but to see if apple just blew it! if there next iteration of ios fails to offer a revamp of the os expect a large number of ios users to jump ship to WP7 which i hope happens im also really excited to compare this update with mango as i don't think apple will even be in the same ball park. All i can say though is if apple fails to innovate WP7 is going to see a large increase in market share and consumer interest =) oh and by the way im a android user saying this

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Actually I hope Apple blows away everything so Apple looks more modern. I love the iphones design wise but I don' like the OS. There's something about rows of icons that I just don't find it appealing.

I don't mind a little competition.

Soaked

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Actually I hope Apple blows away everything so Apple looks more modern. I love the iphones design wise but I don' like the OS. There's something about rows of icons that I just don't find it appealing.

I don't mind a little competition.

Although competition is good, what you're hoping for would probably hurt Windows Phone. One of the biggest things Windows Phone has got going for it is that it's not just a icon grid of multiple apps. It has strong integration with services and hubs. And will be even stronger when Mango is released. I'm hoping Apple hasn't picked up on this yet, so Windows Phone has a better chance of doing better in the market.

Reactions: EJNelly

EJNelly

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Given that the OS from the original iPhone to iOS 4.3 hasn't changed much I don't expect iOS 5 to be groundbreaking, just a few more features added and dubbed "magical and revolutionary".

I suspect the most major announcements will be cloud based, and the entire world will pretend that Zune never existed and will praise Apple on their earth shattering new cloud based music and video service.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
What more can they add. They pretty much hit a homerun. They change they way other smartphone looked. I can't see them doing anything that'll make me switch back to a iphone

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
What more can they add. They pretty much hit a homerun. They change they way other smartphone looked. I can't see them doing anything that'll make me switch back to a iphone

What about a nice looking Mac like keyboard?

jdunn

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Even if they added widgets like Android it will only make them more like android and not revolutionary. I think that they will try and add a deeper level of integration into the device from ervices like facebook and twitter, exactly what Windows Phone is doing. I think you will see alot more of Apple copying other OS's in the future.

EJNelly

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Even if they added widgets like Android it will only make them more like android and not revolutionary. I think that they will try and add a deeper level of integration into the device from ervices like facebook and twitter, exactly what Windows Phone is doing. I think you will see alot more of Apple copying other OS's in the future.

Seeing as how iOS is a pretty much a copy of the Samsung f700, and iOS 4 pretty much just added Android features I'd say that's already begun.

samsungf700cellular.jpg

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I always thought of Android being a poor mans iPhone clone.
Seeing as how iOS is a pretty much a copy of the Samsung f700, and iOS 4 pretty much just added Android features I'd say that's already begun.

samsungf700cellular.jpg

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Here's hoping that Apple doubles down on their icon based OS and doesn't get that it ain't 2007 no more. The last few years it has been completely running on the early momentum it built from 2007-2009. The clear trend has been for Apple to introduce ground breaking products and then tease its fanbase with incremental changes that merely maintain the illusion of innovation.

Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express

Skycop

May 26, 2011
Visit site
They are still making major cash off of the iSheep who line up every year without question. Also Android is not out innovating them by a large margin and I don't think any other os is on their radar at this time so I don't see them doing an overhaul anytime soon.

Hopefully they have improved their notification system and offer a better way to get quick info. Still wouldn't grab my attention though.

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site

samsungf700cellular.jpg

It's funny you should show a Samsung phone. Apple is suing Samsung because the Galaxy Tab supposedly looks too much like an iPad, while Apple stole the tablet idea from the Samsung Q1.

doublebullout

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
The two major improvements for iOS5 are supposed to be a redesigned notification system (possibly more like webOS than Android or WP7) and some sort of widget capability (probably more like OS X Dashboard widgets than Android). If Apple delivers compelling experiences in both areas, the most common justifications for jailbreaking go away. If Apple doesn't get it right, I doubt WP7 will gain from it. I and other iPhone users will likely just keep jailbreaking until Apple either gets it right or succeeds in blocking jailbreaking for good.

And honestly, the fingerpointing over who copied whom is only relevant to patent attorneys. I couldn't care less if iOS notifications look and feel exactly like webOS notifications. If it works better, I say steal it.

Sent from my greenpois0ned iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

mYth

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
And honestly, the fingerpointing over who copied whom is only relevant to patent attorneys. I couldn't care less if iOS notifications look and feel exactly like webOS notifications. If it works better, I say steal it.

You can always find similarities between phones if you look hard enough. People just don't take the time, and then figure it out at a later point in time and think its relevant. Companies have been stealing others ideas and implementing them into their own for ages now.

jdunn

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
The two major improvements for iOS5 are supposed to be a redesigned notification system (possibly more like webOS than Android or WP7) and some sort of widget capability (probably more like OS X Dashboard widgets than Android). If Apple delivers compelling experiences in both areas, the most common justifications for jailbreaking go away. If Apple doesn't get it right, I doubt WP7 will gain from it. I and other iPhone users will likely just keep jailbreaking until Apple either gets it right or succeeds in blocking jailbreaking for good.

So you don't even own a Windows Phone?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

doublebullout

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I own an LG Quantum. I've enjoyed using it occasionally and really like WP7, but my iPhone 4 has remained my main phone.

Omnomnomkimiiee

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm on iOS 5b6. No revolutionary changes, they're still sticking to the same layout since iOS 3.1.3. Only "major" changes are the notification dublidoo (I can't remember how it's called) and the iCloud integration. Otherwise it's really basically the same thing.

I'm jumping ship to Wp7.

Sent from a mysterious mobile device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb