Upcoming nokia phones

Asolitaryape

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi
I was wondering whether I should buy the htc hd7 or wait for the nokia upcoming devices or any other wp7 phones made by other manufacturers.
Because i heard that the hd7 has pretty dated hardware .
Thanks for replying .

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I would say go get you a phone its going to be a year and a half before you see any Nokia phones go on sale.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
If Nokia does release a phone this year, it will be late this year and with hardware almost identical to what is already out there, I bet.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
That's a silly statement. Nokia will be out of business if it takes them a year and a half to produce their first WP7 phone, as they are already starting to ramp down Symbian.

While a release in 2011 is still a stretch, I think they will pull it off before Christmas, but possibly not on your carrier or country. The real push though probably won't happen before Q1-2012. Meanwhile the other OEM's will be offering a refresh of their devices in October with the Mango update inside. With standardized specs, not sure how much the hardware will change though, except in appearance or screen tweaks.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I would wait for Nokia. I personally don't like any of the current devices, which is why I don't have one. Remember we are getting new devices not only from Nokia, but HTC and others this fall. If you don't have a Windows Phone now, I'd wait it out.

ctt1wbw

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I got a twenty that says we'll see a Nokia WP7 device by Christmas, Thanksgiving at the earliest. Mr. Elop has been seen using one.

I'm holding out for a Nokia device. IMHO, superior hardware to HTC. I'm just hoping that it'll have at least a 4.3" screen.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Aside from a larger battery and maybe 32GB inside, not much else hardware wise that would excite me. A 4" screen is about as big as I would go. Build quality trumps bling for me.

Sent from my T8788 using Board Express

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I just what the front camera. My wife has an Atrix and the super processor is very nice but I don't know that WP needs it.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I was about to cave in and wait for the new Nokia devices until I saw the LG Optimus 7 in person. I had to buy that phone, thankfully it updated the very first day without zero problems and the OS is just fantastic. I'm glad I didn't waited.

That being said I wouldn't mind a Samoled+, 8mp camera, thin phone with great build quality that's not a 4 black phone with round edges. ( I gotten lots of compliments on my Phone just because of how different it looks)

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I just what the front camera. My wife has an Atrix and the super processor is very nice but I don't know that WP needs it.

WP7 with a dual core processor would not be needed until Mango update. Dual core is better for multitasking, and thats not possible right now. Maybe for games, too, but it be better to wait for the update this fall. (not saying current hardware can't multitask -- it can :D)

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Or you could do what I did:

Get a wp7 phone (I got the focus) off craigslist/ebay ect to use off contract until the next gen phones + Nokia phones start rolling out. Don't be fooled by "dated" hardware, as the OS runs like butter on these phones. Unlike WebOS & Android, they don't need massive internals to be responsive.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Thankfully Mango will be strong enough to hold me for another year.

BTW when is the new Microsoft conference? The developer stuff was nice but I'm interested in the changes they can make to People's hub, Xbox live, Bing etc...

thomasward00

May 4, 2011
Visit site
The speed increase that came with NoDo on my Focus impressed me, Mango is going to be a make or break update for the young Win 7 phone platform and Microsoft knows it...

The Optimization that Mango will bring... Will leave Android in the dust, performance wise.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Being a long time nokia user from years ago, I would love to see what they will come up with. If their build quality remains as good as it ever was they could come out with some sweet devices. Of course "when" is the question. Probably be awhile yet.

hardrock1a

May 21, 2011
Visit site
While a release in 2011 is still a stretch, I think they will pull it off before Christmas, but possibly not on your carrier or country. The real push though probably won't happen before Q1-2012. Meanwhile the other OEM's will be offering a refresh of their devices in October with the Mango update inside. With standardized specs, not sure how much the hardware will change though, except in appearance or screen tweaks.

From what I saw and heard at the Mango Preview Stream that was on the web, MS has opened up the hardware specs some, so we should start seeing more diversity in devices. (I don't even call them phones any more, Tricorder maybe?)

One example that they mentioned was the LG with the DLNA on it. LG wanted it baked into the OS, and MS told them no, build the DLNA into your device, build your app on top of the OS like everyone else. The OEM's do have plenty of ways to make their units stand out, they just have to take the initiative, while working inside of specs.

Nokia has units in the MS WP Labs right now, according to the Mango Preview. I expect they will come up with a sexy designs and probably sooner than most of us expect.

Cookaliaster

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I am waiting for Nokia N9. This one is the best, You bet. I like Nokia phones more than anything else, They are solid. I mean I love the hardware in Nokia phones. I just updated my Nokia N97 mini. Got the new browser. Nokia is the best :D

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Well, the new video of the Sea Ray looks pretty good. I am glad to see confirmation of buttons. I am hoping this sees the light of day soon, as it appears Mango is RTM and Nokia has mostly finalized hardware. Though, whether it comes to the US anytime soon is another questions. Sounds like select European nations will get it first.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I actually think the concept of "pull up" buttons (like how you pull notifications down in Android) would be very doable and very nice. Most people probably wouldn't like it though.

The only button I hate on my Focus is the camera button. I open the camera all. the. time. While I am trying to play games, and then you have to "resume".

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I would love virtual buttons! I thought that sea ray was going to do this, but was proven wrong. I would get that phone in a heartbeat!
I actually think the concept of "pull up" buttons (like how you pull notifications down in Android) would be very doable and very nice. Most people probably wouldn't like it though.

The only button I hate on my Focus is the camera button. I open the camera all. the. time. While I am trying to play games, and then you have to "resume".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb