Update from Nokia for purple hue etc..

RattleSnake506

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Two things I noticed about the battery, post update:

1-The battery % reading now goes from 100% to 90%. It does not show any percentages in between.

2-usage is greater, even with screen off/idle--no background processes. I was burning 11-12% overnight. Now it is over 20%. Battery life with screen on, etc. is also worse for me, for sure.

I definitely had the same issue this morning. Battery drain was more. I didnot see anything between 100 and 90. And, I also think that, when the battery is charged 100% in the morning, i usually see it going down a couple percentages and charging up to 100 again. I did not see that this morning after the update. I stayed at 100%.
Don't know whats going on.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I can confirm the battery change (reluctant to call it a bug right now). Using the Battery Meter app (homebrew) I saw that it took about 3 hours off charge before the graph reported a drop from 100% to 90%. After that all appears normal, dropping 1 to 2% at a time.

Maybe Nokia wanted to quiet the users complaining that their battery was not fully charging when it cycles between 98-100% after reaching a full charge. A "feature" to protect the battery from overcharging. Now, what you don't know won't hurt you.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

YingTK

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
Update was nice, fixed my proximity problem (the screen would be off when I took it away from my face; worked perfectly after I'd manually turn the screen on), volume seems to be a lot lower one 1/30 now than it previously was. I haven't tried the headset yet, but I wouldn't be suprised if those issues were worked out. I never had the purple hue problem thankfully.

You'd probably just noticed this, it should have been there from the beginning, but it's noticable when you put it at a white surface. I went through 3 of these, and also my HTC Fuze has this. That said, it may not be all a hardware problem as the HTC HD2 had this problem back then and HTC was able to remedy it through a hotfix for Windows Mobile 6.5 then, so I wouldn't be suprised when we get an update to fix the camera on our device (auto settings, etc). I say when because Nokia seems to be pretty keen on getting things done lately as we've seen with these two quick updates from them.

Hope the camera issue could be fixed in next update. Lumia 900 simply can't take any pictures with white background.:confused:

kaupo8

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Strange they didn't make a good camera. Nokia could do better.

I know this will be offtopic, but i have to ask

How much lumia 900 costs (total=99+monthly fee*24?) on at&t and unlocked in usa?
Because in Europe its price now is 450 pounds. And it is same price as htc one x, even htc one s is cheaper... I haven't had android, but i know wp should be better than android for light user like me.

RattleSnake506

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Two things I noticed about the battery, post update:

1-The battery % reading now goes from 100% to 90%. It does not show any percentages in between.

2-usage is greater, even with screen off/idle--no background processes. I was burning 11-12% overnight. Now it is over 20%. Battery life with screen on, etc. is also worse for me, for sure.

I definitely had the same issue this morning. Battery drain was more. I didnot see anything between 100 and 90. And, I also think that, when the battery is charged 100% in the morning, i usually see it going down a couple percentages and charging up to 100 again. I did not see that this morning after the update. I stayed at 100%.
Don't know whats going on.

I can confirm the battery change (reluctant to call it a bug right now). Using the Battery Meter app (homebrew) I saw that it took about 3 hours off charge before the graph reported a drop from 100% to 90%. After that all appears normal, dropping 1 to 2% at a time.

Maybe Nokia wanted to quiet the users complaining that their battery was not fully charging when it cycles between 98-100% after reaching a full charge. A "feature" to protect the battery from overcharging. Now, what you don't know won't hurt you.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Can anyone else check the above issue on their phones to see if this isolated or if this is a bug caused from the update.
For me, second day of the update, its been 2 hrs off charge and it still reads 100%.
Thanks everyone.

jimmy1one

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone else check the above issue on their phones to see if this isolated or if this is a bug caused from the update.
For me, second day of the update, its been 2 hrs off charge and it still reads 100%.
Thanks everyone.
I can confirm I have none of the issues mention here but and it maybe a big but. I use the battery saver function to find the percent of charge. Can anyone confirm the HB battery app is accurate or is there an alternative approved app we can use?

CDG

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Using battery saver to check charge level, I can verify that there are no steps between 100 & 90.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

artzznyzz

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Post - "Purple" Update Issues:

I didn't have the "Purple" problem, but overall have been pleased with responsiveness after the "Purple" update. Much snappier, quicker loading, etc., screen much more responsive, etc.

But now I am up to new bugs, (Ooppss - 'features') to check out over the next couple days:

- The default nokia / bing map seems flakey:
I spent 4+ hrs driving this AM in "new to me" neighborhoods and snakepit highways with only the nokia / bing default maps. It was awful. Phone (post "Purple" update) kept losing data connection, & would not reliably pick up or sync with the GPS signal. Then recentered on nearby cell towers, not using GPS data. (Cold restart did not help.)

- Battery / charge issue:
And, despite being on the car charger the whole time this AM, the battery dropped continually from 100% to 38%. As the power dropped, the charge / discharge fluxuated and the phone went repeatedly into power saving mode. Overall awfull.

- (Note, my N L 900 seems to gets flakey when the charge drops much below 3.8 volts, ~55% charge. This was also true pre "Purple" update)

Measuring Battery Status:
- This is easy - Download "diagnostic tools" (google on net, wpcentral or xda-developers for just dial ##634# from the phone. It shows battery status as a graphic with ~4 intervals, as a %, 0 to 100 by ones, voltage (3.5 to 4.1 volts seems typical), & current as charging or discharging AND rate of charge or discharge in mA (mille Amps), -100 to -300, to +100 - +300 - +500 - +700 seem typical. (this is also great for checking if new cables & chargers are working) - Neat.

Last edited:

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Strange they didn't make a good camera. Nokia could do better.

I know this will be offtopic, but i have to ask

How much lumia 900 costs (total=99+monthly fee*24?) on at&t and unlocked in usa?
Because in Europe its price now is 450 pounds. And it is same price as htc one x, even htc one s is cheaper... I haven't had android, but i know wp should be better than android for light user like me.

$99 + $36 activation + ($39.99 for 450 min + $20 for unlimited texting + $30 for 3GB of data)*24 = $2294.76 after 2 years, not including tax.

It is available off contract for $449.99, but it is NOT unlocked.

Kredrian

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Post update the purple hue is gone, the phone overall seems snappier and not as sluggish at times, though I have noticed one thing. When typing, say in a text message, at random times the keyboard lags quite badly. I can be finished typing a word before anything shows up on the screen, and then whamo!! There it is.. not sure what's up with that, but it did not do it before.

undisputed n00b

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed that my speaker is now louder than it used to be, also the screen is much more responsive and does not lag behind my finger as much. (Screen lag still noticeable when scrolling on the home screen very slowly).
The screen draw issue still exists but not as bad as it used to be.
The camera appears to be a bit better in low light but with auto settings you may have to point the camera sensor towards light for a few seconds to get the sensor to stop making pictures pink.
"Pocket to picture" still works randomly.
Battery life now goes from 100%-90% with no percentages in between.
After changing brightness level, the current selected brightness level is not displayed in settings it is just blank but after changing to low brightness and back to high it now displays it.(may be a 1 time bug or glitch, I have been unable to recreate it).

rjansen3

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't believe the purple issue is completely gone. When brightness is on auto, and goes dim,certain UI elements still have a slight purple hue. Namely, the "greyed out" version of the "send" button in messaging, as well as text such as the "online" header in messaging. Anyone else notice this?

4ty-phive

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
My 2 cents

Never had the purple hue, volume function when the phone is locked, or the phone the waking when pressing the camera button issues. It seemed my only issue was using iphone bud (w/mic) during a call. Before the update, the mic didn't work. After the update, the mic works just fine. My concern now involves using slacker radio. I like to use it with my screen locked and turned off. Sometimes it won't go the next song and has gone unresponsive (This where I try to turn the screen back on but nothing happens) a couple of times. I don't know if that is the app or the phone itself. I purchased some earbuds with mic and remote control capabilities. I will find out if it all works with the phone.

streborc

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Purple Screen

I can't understand everyone's preoccupation with this purplish hue thing. I only was able to notice it while staring at the screen for prolonged periods when driving my car.

iloveamystery

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I can't understand everyone's preoccupation with this purplish hue thing. I only was able to notice it while staring at the screen for prolonged periods when driving my car.

It was very noticeable for me, especially when the autobrightness raised when I had the keyboard open, and the keyboard's color changed from purple to gray. It was annoying and a little jarring. If it had been purple constantly, then it wouldn't have been a big deal--at least for me.

I'm happy to see this update... I'm able to change the volume of music with the screen off consistently now.

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site

It doesn't matter what you do or don't understand. The Purple Hue bug was a huge issue on my device and made everything look bad. Now that the update has come and gone and the issue has been resolved, I'm happy.

Some of us came to Windows Phone because of Metro - the aesthetics of the UI was the driving force behind my adoption of the platform. When the entire UI was bathed in a purple hue that also discolored pictures, etc, it was a huge deal. Kudos to you that you didn't seem to mind, but do not belittle those who were justly upset.

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
I don't believe the purple issue is completely gone. When brightness is on auto, and goes dim,certain UI elements still have a slight purple hue. Namely, the "greyed out" version of the "send" button in messaging, as well as text such as the "online" header in messaging. Anyone else notice this?

I can almost trick myself into thinking the "greyed out" version of the "send" button is still a little purple. Almost. I'm 99% sure that on my device, the purple hue is gone. And hopefully for good.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)