Update question

spliffmonkey187

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Well i just got off the phone with Orange and i had to get through the regular customer service phone clerk and talk to his supervisor (both are India based call centers so language barrier was a big problem) since he was not knowledgeable of how the update process works or that Orange and other carriers are ultimately responsible for the distribution and deployment of the update once MS has given them the update to fiddle with.

So this is how it went, according to the Supervisor "Nick"; who himself admitted he was not aware of any updates or that Orange was the one that does the final deploy go ahead, he claimed that you would have to go to and i quote "The Samsung website and download it from there" I corrected him on this then the story changed to "You need to plug it into the client on your PC and if the update comes through then do it, don't force it" When i told him that the only way some Orange customers are getting the "official update" is by forcing it he pondered for a while then tried to pass the buck on to Samsung and MS, but i was able to make sure he understood that in a matter of fact orange was solely responsible for giving the final go ahead and that actually some of the orange user-base was receiving the update without having to force it. So why are some not receiving it? Well according to him "Orange and other carriers do not release such information out to customers" lol basically code for i have no clue and I am trying to brush you off. Eventually we both came to the agreement that in all likelihood what is happening is that it may be a phased deployment and in some cases from what happened with NoDo people might not see the update officially for a few days or weeks.

He did say he would elevate my inquiry to the orange tech team in charge of windows phone 7 as customer feed back was important and if there was a break down in communication between orange and its customers this would only better serve to ensure that in the future wp7 updates are handled alot better and staff are trained to deal with it.

At this point i have pretty much given up on Mango until the problems i have run into are resolved. For now i will be keeping it on NoDo.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for sharing spliffmonkey187, terrible state of affairs when the carriers don't have a clue isn't it. :(

Perhaps it's a staggared rollout from Orange and i'tll just happen one day soon. Hopefully that's what it is anyway.

spliffmonkey187

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Aye, it is indeed a sad state of affairs, i wish that MS really stuck to their pre WP7 release promises of ensuring they did the deployment and never surrender the final word to the carriers i feel this will be a problem in the future as WP7 is trying to compete with other more established platforms out there. Let hope things change not only at MS but more importantly at the Carriers. Its almost as if they are stunting the growth of this platform on purpose while really pushing for sales with iOS and Android. So its likely WP7 is not much of a priority.

spliffmonkey187

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Couldn't agree with you more mate. It was funny speaking to Orange as well, they tried so hard to brush me off and at the end had to admit that they were in no way knowledgeable of WP7 as an OS nor the very update process that they are privy to.

While it may have been one person and that is hardly representative of the whole company it is still worrying as a trend is beginning to show over here in the UK of not only the carriers not giving a monkey's about WP7 and propagation of the brand but also phone vendors on the high street. I had to take a friend into carphone warehouse and force feed one of their reps into giving my friend a WP7 as he was so adamant to state that quote "WP7 was not going to be around long and is out of date" i had to have a serious lol moment when i heard this guy say that.

But yes the current state of affairs is not good. We will have to see if Orange even bothers to make some form of official statement about the issues people are having. I for now remain skeptical that people claiming to have received the update officially from Orange truly have, probably via the force method that will then make your phone flash up the update notification, but how some are waking up and finding it without ever being connected to the Zune client is however interesting. Once we get official word from Orange that they have indeed begun a network push for the update we will be better placed to see whats going on.

spliffmonkey187

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Hey Shay, yeh I have not bothered upgrading mine again, I am surprised you flashed your phone back to 7004, did you use a stock wp7 EU rom? I am not surprised that they are now saying mango is officially rolling out with the amount of inquiries people have been making it was about time they just came out and said it. But they seem to be avoiding the questions of the apparent bugs with the update that some customers are receiving missing market zones and such. I am not sure how they would be able to fix it OTA but it is a wait and see game right now with orange. Sorry to hear about your issue with the marketplace still existing lets hope they are not only aware of it but also getting around to fixing it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zahrajooon1254