Upgrade my PC.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Graphics cards are built into the motherboard of laptops. It's not like a desktop. You can upgrade your Memory and Hard drive.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
But it is possible to upgrade the processor, although it reaaaallly depends on the model.

As for this one, I don't know.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
The moral of the story is this: If you plan on buying a laptop, only expect to be able to upgrade memory, HHD and WIFI card. That said a good portion of Ultrabooks don't allow any upgrades or make it hard on you. Also, changing parts could void warranty.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I can't upgrade my processor because I dont know how, where can I get it done (I live in Toronto, Canada) suggestions?

Most laptops have the CPU soldered on the motherboard. While it is technically possible with those, no one is going to touch it with a ten foot pool. With laptops that don't have soldered on CPU's, it shouldn't be much harder than a desktop (TONS of tutorials on it online). Messing with the CPU is all but guaranteed to void your warranty.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Hmm well where can I get a quote or something to figure out if it can be done and how much it would cost
Just look up a local computer repair shop. You can probably search the laptop's model number and something like "change cpu" or "removable cpu" to see if it is possible. If you aren't going to be doing it yourself, I doubt it would be worth investing the money. A repair shop will probably charge a decent amount if it is even possible.

HarisA1

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Well currently im running the a6 4400 processor would an i3/i5 be worth upgrading for because I dont really have the need for i7.. If its even possible

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Well currently im running the a6 4400 processor would an i3/i5 be worth upgrading for because I dont really have the need for i7.. If its even possible
You'd need a new motherboard, since your processor is AMD, and the i3/i5/i7 are Intel processors.

HarisA1

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Haha I dont need a new PC I was just thinking if I could get decent upgrades for under 200$ I would do it.. The PC I have right now is perfect for right now, I just use it for light gaming/web/email just the basics

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Haha I dont need a new PC I was just thinking if I could get decent upgrades for under 200$ I would do it.. The PC I have right now is perfect for right now, I just use it for light gaming/web/email just the basics
The only way you'd get the kind of upgrades you want is by buying a new PC.

brianLTE

May 30, 2012
Visit site

You would spend $200 in labor alone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte