Usefullness of a touch screen on a standard laptop?

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I had a Yoga 3 Pro for straight two years and I have used it in laptop mode most of the time, but since it was so thin and light I used it as a tablet on go often. When it was in laptop mode I used the touchscreen quite often - it replaced half of my touchpad usage: For example when I navigate the web with Edge - it works much better with finger than with Synaptics touchpad. Also when I copied files arround I used to drag files with my finger because it was convenient. But have in mind that most times it was a bad touchpads' fault because I have used the precision one on SurfaceBook and I found that one MUCH MUCH better - on the verge of not needing a touchscreen at all.

hey there. i heard mixed things about the synaptics touch pad and windows precision being the better option. therefore im not surprised to read your opinion about synaptics in the yoga 3 pro. was it mouse movement or input from clicking/gestures that gave you more problems? as for the touchscreen, thats great that you made use of the touchscreen even in typical laptop mode. i was thinking about the drag and drop benefit with touch so glad to see you reassured that thought of mine.

ZvjerOPC

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
hey there. i heard mixed things about the synaptics touch pad and windows precision being the better option. therefore im not surprised to read your opinion about synaptics in the yoga 3 pro. was it mouse movement or input from clicking/gestures that gave you more problems? as for the touchscreen, thats great that you made use of the touchscreen even in typical laptop mode. i was thinking about the drag and drop benefit with touch so glad to see you reassured that thought of mine.
Mouse gestures with two fingers are bad on Synaptics touch pad. Mouse movement is fine.

GG002

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
sorry, what i meant with my previous question is whats your opinion regarding typing on the surface pro on-screen keyboard instead of on a physical keyboard like the type cover? i hardly have a need to look at my keyboard because of the f and j keys having those little notches. i guess muscle memory after years of typing on a physical keyboard also helps. i was thinking the lack of feeling physical keys and accidental screen presses when typing would slow down my productivity, but whats your opinion on that?

I wouldn't know how to answer that, because I don't normally use the on-screen keyboard to type on. For anything longer than web links, I whip out the type cover. But generally speaking, "typing" on a touchscreen keyboard requires you to look at the buttons due to the absence of tactile feedback.

chenryhen

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
With a mouse, the usefulness decreases a lot, for me. However, between the trackpad and touch, I find it a lot easier to scroll web pages or drag things around using a touchscreen.

kennrhem

Jun 14, 2017
Visit site
My desktop is a Wacom 27 Cintiq touch. It and hdds are the only peripherals that came over when I ditched Apple. There's no way I'd want to go back to old tech after having touch + stylus on desktop (Wacom) and laptop (Surface Pro). I have to admit tho. I'm a photographer. Not a programmer/accountant/etc...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Happy