Using 720--want to upgrade! Anyone to help?

Blackadder_100

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Mr Bean again...an update after using my 830 for a few days. Well I spoke too soon, still finding Glance performance poor and the navigation buttons very hit and miss compared to my trusty 720. Don't know if I'm being too picky, the 830 is a lovely device but these niggles just spoil the experience for me. So it's been returned and I'm back to my 2 year old lower spec device which just seems to do these basic functions so much better...oh well 😐

Pieter Wolff

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Mr Bean again...an update after using my 830 for a few days. Well I spoke too soon, still finding Glance performance poor and the navigation buttons very hit and miss compared to my trusty 720. Don't know if I'm being too picky, the 830 is a lovely device but these niggles just spoil the experience for me. So it's been returned and I'm back to my 2 year old lower spec device which just seems to do these basic functions so much better...oh well 😐

Ai ai, that's not good news Mr Bean. Maybe it's because you Americans are getting rejects and us lucky South Africans the properly working ones!
I'm afraid it will be another couple of weeks before I can join you in comparing the two devices but don't worry: I will keep you informed. In the meantime screenshot of my precious 720.ImageUploadedByWindows Central Forums1434626503.014599.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWindows Central Forums1434626456.023277.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWindows Central Forums1434626456.023277.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 43

Blackadder_100

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Ai ai, that's not good news Mr Bean. Maybe it's because you Americans are getting rejects and us lucky South Africans the properly working ones!
I'm afraid it will be another couple of weeks before I can join you in comparing the two devices but don't worry: I will keep you informed. In the meantime screenshot of my precious 720.View attachment 106655
Ah Kalk Bay Capetown, nice! Like your start screen...and I'm from UK by the way 😊

Pieter Wolff

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Yes, Kalk Bay. Best place in Cape Town. Don't know what made me think that you're based in The US. I must be getting old. And as I'm originally Dutch I ordered my 830 in orange. Always had black phones but somehow I felt patriottic this time. If I don't like it I can always order a black back on Ebay.

Isabella Tuce

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
Even though they both have the same CPU (Snapdragon 400) I'd still go with the 830 because it takes amazing pictures with its 10 MP camera and I personally prefer the IPS display on L830 over the AMOLED one on L730. On top of that you'll have 16 GB of internal storage which can be extended up to 128 GB with a memory card. If you're planning on buying it online, keep in mind that there are 3 variants of the phone (RM-983, RM-984 and RM-985). All US GSM carriers will work perfectly fine with RM-985 (sans T-mobile and AT&T). That's one thing you need to consider if you want LTE working on it. :wink:

Thanks. Will keep that in mind. 😊

And after seeing you all praising it so much, checked the phone, of one of my pals and really liked it ! Now I am very much eager for the device inspite of the size ! :)

I only hope things work right for me and I get no troubles of any kind, since I am going to keep whatever I pick for a year at least !😖

Isabella Tuce

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
Even though they both have the same CPU (Snapdragon 400) I'd still go with the 830 because it takes amazing pictures with its 10 MP camera and I personally prefer the IPS display on L830 over the AMOLED one on L730. On top of that you'll have 16 GB of internal storage which can be extended up to 128 GB with a memory card. If you're planning on buying it online, keep in mind that there are 3 variants of the phone (RM-983, RM-984 and RM-985). All US GSM carriers will work perfectly fine with RM-985 (sans T-mobile and AT&T). That's one thing you need to consider if you want LTE working on it. :wink:

oh and yeah...just the other day I saw Lumia 840 pics ! The phone just looks too amazing! 😁
No idea about what the size will be though, but if the pics are to be believed,it sure looks stunning!

Are the leaked pictures original? Or is it just pure imagination? 😐

Blackadder_100

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
oh and yeah...just the other day I saw Lumia 840 pics ! The phone just looks too amazing! 😁
No idea about what the size will be though, but if the pics are to be believed,it sure looks stunning!

Are the leaked pictures original? Or is it just pure imagination? 😐

I think they are concept pics but they do look good. I think I will carry on with my 720 and see what is released for W10M...don't want anything bigger than 5" screen though 😊

Isabella Tuce

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
Isabella, I was under the same predicament with my 720 back in April'15. Phone working perfect, with not even a scratch and gave me 1.5 days of battery with moderate usage. But I also developed a liking for 830 after one of my office colleague bought it. It simply feels great to hold, has the perfect screen size I like and has motion sensors. Also the camera is the best part of 830 and clicks amazing pictures.

My humble suggestion to you would be to go for 830 it if you are getting it around $325 (I bought it for INR 21,000 in India) and want to have a great rear camera. The other option would be to go for 640 /730 or simply wait for the new devices that will be launched with Windows 10 in next couple of months.

Lastly, I am not selling my 720 but giving it to my father to check the smooth Windows UI. IMHO 720 is an excellent but underrated device.

Cheers
-Arunabh

Thanks for your input Arunabh.

yes my 720 is still going strong and it still looks amazing even now! So my expectations from the next phone, as you can guess,that i am going to pick, is naturally high as 720 spoiled me ! 😄 now I can't settle for anything less.

And yes the other day I came across some leaked pictures of 840 and they were gorgeous! I agree Lumia 830 for sure is a great phone! It's a beautiful handset. My friends use it and although there has been some glitches..but they are minor I think!

Anyway,I am still interested to pick an 830 but now I am in dilemma whether to wait for those stunning next flagship from MS or whether to take 830! Because whatever I go for I will be stuck with it till the contract expires.😞

Isabella Tuce

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
price-wise, you should stick to either the 640 or the 730/735. Both are decent replacements, but you'll lose Glance screen on the 730/735 and dedicated camera button on any of them.

the 830 is a better option than those but it's obviously more expensive and it's kind of tall, so it might be an issue if you don't want a big phone. The same goes for the 640. This might clear it for you, it's a website for comparing phone sizes (obviously it's only useful on computers):

Compare Mobile Phones Side by Side with Actual size

insert all phones you want to compare and hit ''actual size'', then insert your computer screen size and then ''show''.

Personally I dont like the 730/735 for some reason! The phone never appealed to me like the 720! But I have to upgrade and now when I am looking around for a proper replacement, I find little to choose from. That's disappointing when you want a device from a particular brand and you see there arent enough to make a choice or one that caters all your needs ! :/

640 is a nice device. I also like the look of it. But some who are using told me its fluidity isnt as good as lumias of Nokia are. So now I am not sure if I will go for 640. 😐

Yes 830 is better. Atleast it has most of the things I need. It sure is expensive but more than that what troubles me is the weight and the length! If only it was a little smaller it had been perfect for me.

And now although I am about to order one, the devices MS is going to launch in next two-three months is making me think if I should wait instead! 😖

And thank you so much for the link. It helped! 😊

And thanks for the suggestion too. 😊

Yash Tarai

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your input Arunabh.

yes my 720 is still going strong and it still looks amazing even now! So my expectations from the next phone, as you can guess,that i am going to pick, is naturally high as 720 spoiled me ! 😄 now I can't settle for anything less.

And yes the other day I came across some leaked pictures of 840 and they were gorgeous! I agree Lumia 830 for sure is a great phone! It's a beautiful handset. My friends use it and although there has been some glitches..but they are minor I think!

Anyway,I am still interested to pick an 830 but now I am in dilemma whether to wait for those stunning next flagship from MS or whether to take 830! Because whatever I go for I will be stuck with it till the contract expires.😞
I would say stick with your device and Wait for Microsoft to release new devices with win10 and then get one that suits you and your budget .
P.S. Why get a device that your friend already use,get yourself a better one and make him jealous XD .

Isabella Tuce

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
price-wise, you should stick to either the 640 or the 730/735. Both are decent replacements, but you'll lose Glance screen on the 730/735 and dedicated camera button on any of them.

the 830 is a better option than those but it's obviously more expensive and it's kind of tall, so it might be an issue if you don't want a big phone. The same goes for the 640. This might clear it for you, it's a website for comparing phone sizes (obviously it's only useful on computers):

Compare Mobile Phones Side by Side with Actual size

insert all phones you want to compare and hit ''actual size'', then insert your computer screen size and then ''show''.

For some reason I never liked the look of 730/735! It never appealed to me like the 720! But now since I have to upgrade I am searching for sets on random basis. 😒

As for 640 it's a nice phone and I like the look of it. But some of my friends use it and they told me the fluidity of 640 isnt as good as the lumias Nokia have. So now not sure if I will go for a 640 either. :/

830 is the only one that seems to fit me. It's the only device that would provide the things I want! And it's beautiful. No doubt. But like you said, yes the weight and length is an issue. If only it was a little shorter, it would have been perfect for me!

Plus,
MS is going to launch their flagship in next two -three months....so donno if I should wait! Confused* 😖

It's kind of disappointing when you want to upgrade and your choices are so limited. I have to go for something and from a perticular brand, because I wont go for any other, which makes things difficult for me. :/ But there is so little to choose from, that caters my need. Which is disheartening. ☹

And thanks so much for the link. It helped! 😊
Thanks for your suggestion too. 😊

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
You could try the Lumia 928!

Has a 4.5inch HD Amoled display, with an 8.7 megapixel preview shooter... It's essentially a slimmer 920 with xenon flash and an AMOLED display so you are getting much deeper blacks... It would be a great phone to hold onto for the foreseeable future or simply until other things come out...

I would also highly recommend checking the marketplace forums here on Windows Central :wink:

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
For some reason I never liked the look of 730/735! It never appealed to me like the 720! But now since I have to upgrade I am searching for sets on random basis. ��

As for 640 it's a nice phone and I like the look of it. But some of my friends use it and they told me the fluidity of 640 isnt as good as the lumias Nokia have. So now not sure if I will go for a 640 either. :/

830 is the only one that seems to fit me. It's the only device that would provide the things I want! And it's beautiful. No doubt. But like you said, yes the weight and length is an issue. If only it was a little shorter, it would have been perfect for me!

Plus,
MS is going to launch their flagship in next two -three months....so donno if I should wait! Confused* ��

It's kind of disappointing when you want to upgrade and your choices are so limited. I have to go for something and from a perticular brand, because I wont go for any other, which makes things difficult for me. :/ But there is so little to choose from, that caters my need. Which is disheartening. ☹

And thanks so much for the link. It helped! ��
Thanks for your suggestion too. ��

You are welcome. Btw, 640 has great performance, like all newer Lumias, but it's also pretty much the same size as the 830...
if any of these phones really can't suit your needs, maybe you should wait and see what comes.

Isabella Tuce

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
You are welcome. Btw, 640 has great performance, like all newer Lumias, but it's also pretty much the same size as the 830...
if any of these phones really can't suit your needs, maybe you should wait and see what comes.

hmm I suppose so. Not sure. :/

Btw you said 640 is great like other lumias, have you used it?

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
hmm I suppose so. Not sure. :/

Btw you said 640 is great like other lumias, have you used it?

no, but they're all pretty much the same specs on this point: system on chip, RAM and graphic processor are all the same.

have you seen the 730 in person? I think that it's a beautiful phone, but of course opinions about this will vary :amaze:

Pieter Wolff

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site

Hi there my UK friend. You mentioned that on both 830's you have tried the glance screen was disappointing. Have a look at this YouTube item and it looks like the glance screen on this 830 is just about the same as on my 720. Your thoughts Mr Bean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FGIpgsuYZw

Blackadder_100

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi there my UK friend. You mentioned that on both 830's you have tried the glance screen was disappointing. Have a look at this YouTube item and it looks like the glance screen on this 830 is just about the same as on my 720. Your thoughts Mr Bean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FGIpgsuYZw
Yes that looks absolutely fine. The problem I had with both of the 830's I tried was that in "peek" mode, Glance screen was slow to display or did not display at all when passing a hand over the proximity sensor. The other problem was that the Glance screen would often come on very very dim and then brighten up to a normal level about 30-45 seconds later. Could be that I was unlucky with the devices I tried but the 720 has none of the above issues. Would be interested to hear your opinion when yours arrives!

Isabella Tuce

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
I think they are concept pics but they do look good. I think I will carry on with my 720 and see what is released for W10M...don't want anything bigger than 5" screen though 😊

I am thinking the same! As they dont have much new devices in the line anyway...plus dont think there's anything I'll be getting with an upgrade, which I wont in my 720! So why not wait?

Still confused though* 😡

Isabella Tuce

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
I would say stick with your device and Wait for Microsoft to release new devices with win10 and then get one that suits you and your budget .
P.S. Why get a device that your friend already use,get yourself a better one and make him jealous XD .

yeah I can do that. If there is no suitable device that goes with my need then well....

Isabella Tuce

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
no, but they're all pretty much the same specs on this point: system on chip, RAM and graphic processor are all the same.

have you seen the 730 in person? I think that it's a beautiful phone, but of course opinions about this will vary :amaze:

Ok.

No. Only in pics! Unfortunately they dnt have 730 in the store here. 😡
But as far as the spec sheet goes, it's a good phone, as capable as 830! And light in weight too.

Btw in eBay I saw 830 in a much lesser price, while in amazon it costs way more! Why is that? And speaking of which, should I buy from eBay or should I not?

Plus are there two editions of 830? Like one of 16gb and one with 64gb? Sorry for asking such a stupid thing, but I was not aware of that and noticed it on eBay just only yesterday!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Properusbuy