Verizon Tethering

MadManMoon

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I've been playing with Windows Phone 8 (and, since tonight, 8.1!) on my Lumia 521, which I have for overseas travel. I'm a Verizon customer, using all Android phones, but 8.1 and the Icon have me considering a switch.

However, tethering is important to me, since I travel a lot for work. I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan, and can't add tethering without losing my unlimited. I've rooted all my Androids so I can tether natively.

From what I've been able to gather, this isn't possible on the Icon for Verizon. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks!

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

jpling

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I am not sure why you think you can't add tethering. I have unlimited data and pay$30 extra a month for tethering and it works fine with any phone I use. I don't have to worry about finding ((work arounds)) anymore.
you can add it in the features menu on your(my Verizon) page. It's will worth the thirty bucks just for peace of mind. There are no limits. Am on the road a lot and average 20-50 gigs a month and have never had any issues or slow downs what so ever. I am curious as to why you thought you would lose your data plan? There is no way without paying though!! You are going to have to pay up to tether that data 😁

Btw I have a Lumia 822,928, and icon and have used tethering on every device.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Same here as jpling, when needed I just go to the My Verizon app on my 928, add the unlimited tethering, and then just use the built in internet sharing. Works great with no restrictions.

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
They are not going to let you add unlimited tethering. Don't think you can hack winphone the way you can android. So if you need that much data I'd stick w/android.

jpling

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
They are not going to let you add unlimited tethering. Don't think you can hack winphone the way you can android. So if you need that much data I'd stick w/android.
If he hhas unlimited data already he can in fact add tethering to his plan. Your are giving wrong information. Thanks. He should not stick with Android by any means. He will just have to pay for the feature with WP

ynotbike

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I pay the extra $30 too with my unlimited plan, with verizon tethering I get better internet speeds at my house then the local cable provider so I just use my phone with the xbox and computers.

*tip (sort of), after 8.1 update you can add a tethering toggle to the notification screen for quick access, I come home and just toggle on internet for the house.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon