voice recognition is horrible

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
From the times I've used it voice recognition is excellent on the 920, but does seem to have issues with background noise. Seems.ok with road noise but tv in the background is a problem.
Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Board Express

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
@OP ... I don't mean to sound defensive, I just entirely disagree with your premise. I posted a few weeks ago about an experience I had with Siri vs. Windows Phone. And, in fact, Siri failed every attempt to get it to do ANYTHING. Windows Phone, on the other hand, did everything I asked. It's just about knowing its limits and what the commands are. It's not intended to be a free-speech engine, and that seems to confuse people. Pay attention to the "What Can I Say?" instructions.

Now that said, I also use it to dictate text messages, and while as a grammar Nazi I become infuriated by it's inability to grasp the concept of punctuation, I find the actual word recognition to be very good... but you do have to speak clearly. Slurring your words or speaking quickly will trip up any speech recognition... in other words, you can't speak to it like a teenage girl (sorry for the stereotype, but we know what I'm describing).

I haven't read every post on here thoroughly yet (am working on it now), but let's make sure we have realistic expectations, understand how to use it, and be specific with the problems as we continue. :)

mas90guru

Oct 7, 2003
www.s-consult.com
I find that the voice recognition on the 920 is poor in noisy situations but good when there is little background noise. I tested this side by side with my iPhone 5 in the car and the Nokia 920 couldn't understand 10 attempts at the same dictation while the iPhone 5 picked it up first time perfect.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
On my Nokia 920, I receive a text, there is a 2 second delay before she reads, there is another option now which I feel doesn't make sense, I respond (ask if it's correct and would like to send) then done. It may look the same but there is a difference between the two phones.

Yes, that I agree with ... there is a delay on the Nokia 900 and 920 with reading the messages that didn't exist on the Titan I (and apparently the Titan II from your post). Also, yes, I notice the 920 now gives you the option "add more" to your message, which I do like.

If I were going to change anything, I want the ability to give my command while she's reading directions. I feel rude cutting her off, but I don't want to wait for her, lol.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I find that the voice recognition on the 920 is poor in noisy situations but good when there is little background noise. I tested this side by side with my iPhone 5 in the car and the Nokia 920 couldn't understand 10 attempts at the same dictation while the iPhone 5 picked it up first time perfect.

I have absolutely NO issues using it in the car... in fact, that's pretty much 99% of my usage... while I have it plugged into the car AUX port... not Bluetooth. I have it sitting in my center cup holder, resting headphone jack and microphone up.

I've only used Siri once, and it was an epic fail (see my previous post on here where I link to the details) and have never used it on Android, so I'm not going to engage in Apple/Google comparisons. I'm just going to voice my usage for Tell Me.

I have had issues with Tell Me doing voice dictation for text messages if I speak really fast or stumble a lot in the message with "umm's and uhh's" and such. I also have issues in low signal areas with the performance of it processing. I typically think my message through BEFORE I say "reply" and start speaking... that helps a lot. I distinctly say words that I know it might not hear well... like you're/your and her (example I encountered yesterday).

The long and short of it is this... voice technology has never really caught on for a reason. It's still complete and utter crap compared to direct input means, but it's great when it works.

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I was using it in my kitchen with no noise 7/10 times it failed to understand . I don't like siri! I think siri has gotten better but its still seems outdated. the voice recognition on the GS3 works very well, is fast and is more natural than the 920 and Siris. the 920's feels sounds like MS sam . I don't think Voice Recognition is a killer feature but if its on the phone it should be up to the standards of the competition. I dont think it is. now let me be clear I have a cyan 920 that was a preorder and it has a severely poor battery ,the camera doesn't focus properly ( its not me its the camera) and ive had a few lockup/ crashes of apps & the os. I have a replacement on the way ( backordered) my opinions have been based on my handset so its possible I just have a lemon. But after reasing thread after thread on this forum along with the Nokia support forums im not the only one who feels this way about certain features of this device/os.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
But after reasing thread after thread on this forum along with the Nokia support forums im not the only one who feels this way about certain features of this device/os.

Of course you are not the only one. And you read a lot on the forums because people like to go there and complain. For every one person that goes to complain, there are a hundred people happy with their phones but just don't jump on a forum to tell the world. That's the way it is with forums, which I'm sure you know.

And you have to be willing to put up with some growing pains as an early adopter. If you are not willing to accept the fact that nothing is perfect the first time, then wait 6 months and then get a phone. It seems you have owned some Android devices, so you of all people should realize that. I also have a Galaxy Nexus, it just got updated last month to fix a radio issue and mic cutout issue. This is after months and months of dropped calls.. Verizon even acknowledged it as an issue, and was replacing phones with Droid Razr's and some even got a SG3.

So back to your original post: you say " is there anything in this phone\os even come close to android or IOS features". Why don't you list some features in Android and iOS that you like, that the 920 doesn't "even come close" to and we can have an intelligent discussion.

Bottom line is there is no one phone for everyone; you get what works best for YOU. And now there are three viable choices, with a 4th (BB 10) on it's way. So if this phone doesn't work for you, don't force it. Return it and move on.

koldmiser

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Personally I like this voice recognition much more than siri. I always had problems with siri not translating. My 920 with WP8 hasn't given me any problems.

ryude

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
If I was a Lumia 920 I wouldn't listen to your voice commands either, putting me down and making me feel like a faulty device. Think about the phone's feelings...

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Add me to the list. I tried 4 different devices, in AT&T and T-Mobile, and none of the phones got me 100% right except for maybe 3 times. I speak slow, with no accent, and properly pronounce my words. I wonder if it is because I wasn't signed into my Microsoft account at the store, because as I understand it, the speech recordings are stored with your Microsoft account for accuracy...?

sundawg#WP

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty impressed with the voice recognition on my 920. Was admiring this just last night as I was dictating text replies while running on the treadmill. My phone was 3 feet away and I was winded. Also have no problems in the truck while phone is mounted about 18 inches away.

I have heard friends with varying opinions on Siri. Postulating that some people's voices are more suitable than others. I.e. One's natural tone may have certain advantages with their hardware. Maybe this is true for tellme as well.

I have also watched people get frustrated, talk louder, over-enunciate and practically put the phone in their mouth in hopes this would help...just makes things worse and they look stupid.

It would be interesting if our dictation was stored and we could listen to it directly just to see what is being recorded for processing.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty impressed with the voice recognition on my 920. Was admiring this just last night as I was dictating text replies while running on the treadmill. My phone was 3 feet away and I was winded. Also have no problems in the truck while phone is mounted about 18 inches away.

I have heard friends with varying opinions on Siri. Postulating that some people's voices are more suitable than others. I.e. One's natural tone may have certain advantages with their hardware. Maybe this is true for tellme as well.

I have also watched people get frustrated, talk louder, over-enunciate and practically put the phone in their mouth in hopes this would help...just makes things worse and they look stupid.

It would be interesting if our dictation was stored and we could listen to it directly just to see what is being recorded for processing.

LMAO...you just described me when it doesn't get it right. What I have found, however, is that if it doesn't get it right the first time (whether I am texting, or using voice notes, or dictating an email), that it gets way worse with each attempt.

For example: If I say "Note, Pay the dish bill" it ALWAYS (has never gotten this right) returns "Hey dish bill" or "Hey douchebag". If I cancel that and try again, it comes back with some that's EVEN LESS accurate than that "Play pizza" or something COMPLETELY off.

Another thing that is weird is that it works nearly flawlessly in some parts, and terribly off in others. When I am sending a text, almost ALWAYS gets it right. When I am using OneNote speech command, NEVER gets it right. When I am using apps like Maluuba, hardly EVER get it right. So it seems to be app specific as well...

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm not a troll I have a 920 (which is getting replaced because of a bad battery) but is there anything in this phone\os even come close to android or IOS features?

Yep. Except it won't tell you a joke when you ask it to do something.

What exactly are you trying to do with voice reco?

Edit: simple example. Pair with bluetooth to your car. Now, drive somewhere. When a text comes in, WP8 (and 7 for that matter) will prompt via bluetooth "message from X - read it or ignore" you say "read it" it does. Then it prompts "reply or I'm done" you say Reply it says say your message you say OK thanks I have just replied to your message without endangering fellow drivers" it reads that back to you and offers try again, add, or send" you say send, it sends the txt.

Siri,,, yeah Siri wouldn't get you far with that scenario. Perhaps you should learn how to use your phone? http://www.windowscentral.com/voice-controlled-guide-using-speech-windows-phone-8

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Yep. Except it won't tell you a joke when you ask it to do something.

What exactly are you trying to do with voice reco?

Edit: simple example. Pair with bluetooth to your car. Now, drive somewhere. When a text comes in, WP8 (and 7 for that matter) will prompt via bluetooth "message from X - read it or ignore" you say "read it" it does. Then it prompts "reply or I'm done" you say Reply it says say your message you say OK thanks I have just replied to your message without endangering fellow drivers" it reads that back to you and offers try again, add, or send" you say send, it sends the txt.

Siri,,, yeah Siri wouldn't get you far with that scenario. Perhaps you should learn how to use your phone? Voice Controlled: A guide to using speech with Windows Phone 8 | Windows Phone Central

I agree, that this feature alone kills Siri. I was using my 4s the other day, and sorely missed this feature. The only problem I have is the dictation accuracy. Never gets it right when taking notes, hardly with emails, or using natural language voice assistants. TellMe just fails every...single...time...

Reuben Browne

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
hey.....so i bought lumia 920 a month back...im seeing all these videos about the voice dictation on youtube but i cannot find the voice option(microphone ) at the bottom of my screen when i compose an email or i write a text message. I went to the settings-->speech also and everything is check in there...so whats the problem??? and yeah im in india just incase its a racist problem...:p just kidding...just in case its a geographic problem....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss